Bills need to fix LB's and DB's core

I know we didnt see much from the bills this preseason but from what I scantly gathered, This is what the bills should do. Arthur moats, we all know this guy can tackle. I would replace kelvin sheppard with moats on outside. I know he isn't as fast but he is fast enough. Keep Barnett in the middle and have Kirk Morrison on the other side. Bryan Scott needs to be put back into strong saftey spot in rotation with George Wilson. Bird as free saftey. For the corners, they need to have Aaron Williams and Leodis Mckelvin start. For nickle package, throw in Mcgee and dime package use Gilmore. I would use howell on rotation in dime/quarter/dollar schemes. Shawne Merriman and Chris Kelsey and Kelvin sheppard would be 2nd stringers, and the obvious starting D line would be Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus and Mark Anderson.

I know we all have different opinions but gilmore hasn't impressed me yet to earn the starting job. I'm somewhat hesitant to use Aaron Williams as a corner(I think he plays better as a free saftey). But I'm willing to give him a chance.

Edited by TitansBills

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheppard is the MLB now, not Barnett. Even though Sheppard hasn't shown anything, I think that Barnett is too small to play MLB. The teams future MLB may not be on the team yet.

I think McKelvin has a ways to go to reclaim a starting position and Gilmore has played well for a rookie and will only get better. McGee can't stay healthy and may be cut outright but if not he is in a dogfight with Brooks for the nickel because Brooks has looked pretty good and, as a rookie, has a high upside.

I think the DL is solid but I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be a run stuffing DT. I thought it would be Dareus but he is really more of a penetrator like Williams, IMO. With no run stuffer, everyone trying to penetrate on every down and a weak MLB this team will be vulnerable to the run. Think the Colts during the Tony Dungy era.

I know we didnt see much from the bills this preseason but from what I scantly gathered, This is what the bills should do. Arthur moats, we all know this guy can tackle. I would replace kelvin sheppard with moats on outside. I know he isn't as fast but he is fast enough. Keep Barnett in the middle and have Kirk Morrison on the other side. Bryan Scott needs to be put back into strong saftey spot in rotation with George Wilson. Bird as free saftey. For the corners, they need to have Aaron Williams and Leodis Mckelvin start. For nickle package, throw in Mcgee and dime package use Gilmore. I would use howell on rotation in dime/quarter/dollar schemes. Shawne Merriman and Chris Kelsey and Kelvin sheppard would be 2nd stringers, and the obvious starting D line would be Mario Williams, Kye Williams, Marcell Dareus and Mark Anderson.

I know we all have different opinions but gilmore hasn't impressed me yet to earn the starting job. I'm somewhat hesitant to use Aaron Williams as a corner(I think he plays better as a free saftey). But I'm willing to give him a chance.

??? where do you get this stuff from?

I know we didnt see much from the bills this preseason but from what I scantly gathered, This is what the bills should do. Arthur moats, we all know this guy can tackle. I would replace kelvin sheppard with moats on outside. I know he isn't as fast but he is fast enough. Keep Barnett in the middle and have Kirk Morrison on the other side. Bryan Scott needs to be put back into strong saftey spot in rotation with George Wilson. Bird as free saftey. For the corners, they need to have Aaron Williams and Leodis Mckelvin start. For nickle package, throw in Mcgee and dime package use Gilmore. I would use howell on rotation in dime/quarter/dollar schemes. Shawne Merriman and Chris Kelsey and Kelvin sheppard would be 2nd stringers, and the obvious starting D line would be Mario Williams, Kye Williams, Marcell Dareus and Mark Anderson.

If you're going to throw up a post breaking down the weaknesses in with the secondary and LB's it might be a good idea to actually get the positions of the players right.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

If you're going to throw up a post breaking down the weaknesses in with the secondary and LB's it might be a good idea to actually get the positions of the players right.

Or have any kind of idea what you're talking about would help too.

I got dizzy after the OP suggested the third or fourth player switch to another position. Staying out of the details (because all that motion makes me nauseous) I don't think all of those changes have any chance of making our defense better.

I'm not one to completely dismiss a posters opinion, but you can leave now TitansBills. Gilmore hasn't impressed you? Barnett is in the middle? Shep is on the outside? This is a seriously inaccurate post. You can have your opinion about Gilmore, but it is completely incorrect. The guy has been a big time bright spot and is going to be the Bills top CB immediately.

Edited by VanCity

Sheppard is the MLB now, not Barnett. Even though Sheppard hasn't shown anything, I think that Barnett is too small to play MLB. The teams future MLB may not be on the team yet.

I think McKelvin has a ways to go to reclaim a starting position and Gilmore has played well for a rookie and will only get better. McGee can't stay healthy and may be cut outright but if not he is in a dogfight with Brooks for the nickel because Brooks has looked pretty good and, as a rookie, has a high upside.

I think the DL is solid but I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be a run stuffing DT. I thought it would be Dareus but he is really more of a penetrator like Williams, IMO. With no run stuffer, everyone trying to penetrate on every down and a weak MLB this team will be vulnerable to the run. Think the Colts during the Tony Dungy era.

Gilmore seems to be a cover no tackle guy like Deion Sanders of yesteryear, don't like the way he gets blocked everytime he should be in the pursuit. The only turnover the db's got last night was the fumble that McKelvin stripped from the receiver, that has to change. But, the db's were not in position to do that for the most part. But, I think we have to do the OJT (on the job training) with the young guys (Gilmore, Brooks, Williams, and yes McKelvin) and go with it. McGee was a player, but isn't back physically, and will never have his old speed back.

When?

when bird was injured, chan tried him a few times. Everyone prospected him as a better saftey than corner aswell.

and you people act like im changing the entire defense. I'm going back to what worked last year and improving.

Edited by TitansBills

I think Shepherd is mediocre and is at most a 2 down LB. I think that Morrison should start at MLB with Moats at SLB and Barnett at WLB. I also think that Mark Anderson can't play the run and that Kelsay is better in run support, and may replace him in running situations.