Riding lawn mower advice

birdog1960

my very old john deere l160 is dead. i've already put way too much into fixing it. So i'm hunting a new mower and my grass is getting higher by the minute.

I'm told that the Deere's at Lowe's and Home Depot are no better than any other brand as they're built to the price point those stores require and thus cut corners, especially on the transmissions. A "true" JD starts at about 3K and that's more than i want to spend.

So i'm looking at husqvarna or craftsman from sears with the 5 year service and warranty contract. Anybody have experience with these and especially with the service. the contract is about $100/year but that's the cost of yearly service anyway if you get it done on at a dealer. they supposedly come to the house to do it. and the salesman said if they need to repair it 4 times during the warranty, they give you a new replacement mower. Seems too good to be true. anybody know?

Please use the search feature before starting new topics, as the subject of large riding John Deere lawn mowers has already been discussed in a prior thread - - see reply # 30 here:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/130111-toronto-taking-the-bills-is-like-my-ex-wife/page__hl__%20lawn%20%20mower%20%20confusion__st__20

$100 for just annual service isn't going to keep anybody happy, although getting an entirely new mower after four services in a year could be uplifting. However you resolve your lawn mowing problems, I strongly recommend that you do not hire any Canadian gardeners to do it.

Please use the search feature before starting new topics, as the subject of large riding John Deere lawn mowers has already been discussed in a prior thread - - see reply # 30 here:

http://forums.twobil...nfusion__st__20

$100 for just annual service isn't going to keep anybody happy, although getting an entirely new mower after four services in a year could be uplifting. However you resolve your lawn mowing problems, I strongly recommend that you do not hire any Canadian gardeners to do it.

:lol: That's strange though, i searched "lawnmower" and got nothin.

I bought this about a year ago from Lowes, haven't had any problems

http://www.troybilt...._89549_54965_-1

looks good! does it cut in reverse? or do you have to do some mods?

looks good! does it cut in reverse? or do you have to do some mods?

Some of the new Deeres have a safety mech on them... You have to hold the PTO button switch UP then go into reverse... Then you let off the PTO switch and finish cutting in reverse. If you don't pick up the switch... The PTO will cut out.

You can order a new switch from Deere that doesn't have that feature.

I bought a craftsman last spring, has treated me well. More features than a big box deere for a lower price. Turn-tight is nice to have, don't have to swing wide as often.

My only concern would be Sears ceasing to exist as a company if it doesn't turn things around.

BTW, most Craftsman mowers are made by Husqvarna, I believe the very low ends are MTD.

Edited by kegtapr

Some of the new Deeres have a safety mech on them... You have to hold the PTO button switch UP then go into reverse... Then you let off the PTO switch and finish cutting in reverse. If you don't pick up the switch... The PTO will cut out.

You can order a new switch from Deere that doesn't have that feature.

what do you know about the 100 series mowers? my neighbor works at a Deere dealer and was selling a tractor with 40 hours on it at his house for $5700!! said he bought it for $7100...after i politely told him," neighbor, that's a bit more mower than i need" we talked and he told me what i said above. he said they have several replacement transmissions in stock for folks who decide to try to haul with their mowers. now i've got no plans on hauling (at least anything huge) and i can't complain about a 26 year old JD dying but he kinda scared me off. waddya think?

I bought a craftsman last spring, has treated me well. More features than a big box deere for a lower price. Turn-tight is nice to have, don't have to swing wide as often.

My only concern would be Sears ceasing to exist as a company if it doesn't turn things around.

yep. that's a concern that is very sad. Sears is an American institution.

BTW, most Craftsman mowers are made by Husqvarna, I believe the very low ends are MTD.

Good information..any wat to tell which is which? i'm thinking this http://www.sears.com/craftsman-42-in-21hp-briggs-stratton-hydrostatic-turn/p-07128851000P?prdNo=9&ViewAll=true might be a husky and the $1150. 42 inch i looked at today is an mtd.

I got a Craftsman YT3000 this spring. I love the thing. Cuts great, runs great, turns tight, and cuts in reverse simply by turning the key back one click. One MAJOR fault is that a pin broke off that holds the steering shaft in pace, so if I press down on it too much it actually forces the pinion out of position under the tractor. I obviously need to get that fixed, but its an easy fix. I have warranty though, so I plan on calling someone to my house for the 30 cent part.

what do you know about the 100 series mowers? my neighbor works at a Deere dealer and was selling a tractor with 40 hours on it at his house for $5700!! said he bought it for $7100...after i politely told him," neighbor, that's a bit more mower than i need" we talked and he told me what i said above. he said they have several replacement transmissions in stock for folks who decide to try to haul with their mowers. now i've got no plans on hauling (at least anything huge) and i can't complain about a 26 year old JD dying but he kinda scared me off. waddya think?

That is very steep for a residential rider. We have about 22 acres at work and get by with a commercial Toro Z-Master for tight areas (zero turn) and trimming, a Deere 1035 (for tight turns and open trimming), a Deere 3520 full cab tractor for snow removal (plowing), mowing the large open areas, and front end loader/bucket work. The one residential machine we have is a Deere x300 (that's the one you gotta lift up on the PTO switch to cut in reverse). The x300 is the only one we can get across the river and over the lock gates to mow the other side of the river. Don't know about the 100 series but it has to be similar. ?? 5K is a lot, but they are good machines... Do you plan on plowing or snow blowing? We do have a blower attachment for the x300... Gets in tight areas on the lock wall where the normal truck and tractor snow plow can't reach. They even make a neat brush (like you see at The Ralph) attachement.

I suppose it all depends on what you plan on doing... If you are just gonna light mow for an hour every week during the warm months and nothing else... I suppose any 2k mower will do... But if you are gonna beat on it... Go heavier. Here the x300 takes a beating and is probably over matched for what we do... But have to have it because nothing else will fit in the tight areas around the river. It holds up very well!

One of the only bad things about the new tractors... LOTS of plastic. Plastic breaks and doesn't hold up well when you have "boo boos"... You would think for 5-10k, they would make things more durable... But for residential, I suppose it holds up well...

Good Luck!

I got a Craftsman YT3000 this spring. I love the thing. Cuts great, runs great, turns tight, and cuts in reverse simply by turning the key back one click. One MAJOR fault is that a pin broke off that holds the steering shaft in pace, so if I press down on it too much it actually forces the pinion out of position under the tractor. I obviously need to get that fixed, but its an easy fix. I have warranty though, so I plan on calling someone to my house for the 30 cent part.

even though it doesn't say so, that's the one i linked right? gonna see if i can find it in stock.

That is very steep for a residential rider. We have about 22 acres at work and get by with a commercial Toro Z-Master for tight areas (zero turn) and trimming, a Deere 1035 (for tight turns and open trimming), a Deere 3520 full cab tractor for snow removal (plowing), mowing the large open areas, and front end loader/bucket work. The one residential machine we have is a Deere x300 (that's the one you gotta lift up on the PTO switch to cut in reverse). The x300 is the only one we can get across the river and over the lock gates to mow the other side of the river. Don't know about the 100 series but it has to be similar. ?? 5K is a lot, but they are good machines... Do you plan on plowing or snow blowing? We do have a blower attachment for the x300... Gets in tight areas on the lock wall where the normal truck and tractor snow plow can't reach. They even make a neat brush (like you see at The Ralph) attachement.

I suppose it all depends on what you plan on doing... If you are just gonna light mow for an hour every week during the warm months and nothing else... I suppose any 2k mower will do... But if you are gonna beat on it... Go heavier. Here the x300 takes a beating and is probably over matched for what we do... But have to have it because nothing else will fit in the tight areas around the river. It holds up very well!

One of the only bad things about the new tractors... LOTS of plastic. Plastic breaks and doesn't hold up well when you have "boo boos"... You would think for 5-10k, they would make things more durable... But for residential, I suppose it holds up well...

Good Luck!

the x300 is the one my neighbor mentioned for about $3000, i think. If it lasts 10 years or more without major problems, it's worth it. that's the $3000 question. but, geez, John Deere kills you on parts. i bought mine used with a boat replacement steering wheel and a new wheel cost almost $100...have i mentioned, i'm cheap? anyway, thanks for the info. Deere's good name is well deserved. I just wonder if they're committed to keeping it.

the x300 is the one my neighbor mentioned for about $3000, i think. If it lasts 10 years or more without major problems, it's worth it. that's the $3000 question. but, geez, John Deere kills you on parts. i bought mine used with a boat replacement steering wheel and a new wheel cost almost $100...have i mentioned, i'm cheap? anyway, thanks for the info. Deere's good name is well deserved. I just wonder if they're committed to keeping it.

Should easily last 10 years! My sears Craftsman push mower is going on almost 20 and I try to kill that... I can't justify getting a new one if the old one is still kicking... The x300 we ride across the lock gates and do the other side of the river, here is a pic:

Look at this pic... Notice the area to the far left

I had the mower numerous times stuck in the mud, almost tipped in the water, etc... etc... We mow that area to the far left and well off border of the picture. Again, the x300 is the only mower with a deck that will cross those upper gate (gates at he lower part of the picture) railings.

We do that area across from the dam once a week and the thing takes a beating! It is a jungle off the border of the picture! You will easily get 10 years out of a 3k mower... Let alone plowing/snowblowing (we use the x300 to do the snow on the short wall)!

Should easily last 10 years! My sears Craftsman push mower is going on almost 20 and I try to kill that... I can't justify getting a new one if the old one is still kicking... The x300 we ride across the lock gates and do the other side of the river, here is a pic:

Look at this pic... Notice the area to the far left

I had the mower numerous times stuck in the mud, almost tipped in the water, etc... etc... We mow that area to the far left and well off border of the picture. Again, the x300 is the only mower with a deck that will cross those upper gate (gates at he lower part of the picture) railings.

We do that area across from the dam once a week and the thing takes a beating! It is a jungle off the border of the picture! You will easily get 10 years out of a 3k mower... Let alone plowing/snowblowing (we use the x300 to do the snow on the short wall)!

That's actually very beautiful, exiled...the closest i've seen is on the trent severn waterway in Ontario...different but also impressive. Looks like a great place to work.

Lawn?? What's that?? :huh:

Seriously though I've lived in CA for about 30 years and have never owned a lawn mower. We've got a decent back yard at the new place but put in pavers, decomposed granite and planter boxes.

I wouldn't want a huge yard but also wouldn't want no yard at all. I also realize it's very different living in Columbus, Ohio as opposed to out in Cali or somewhere like that where just a little piece of green **** is such a commodity. We found a solid balance in that we have a front yard and small sliver of a side yard that takes about 20-25 min total to mow with a push mower and no back yard. Our driveway wraps around in an L shape into the garage and the space between that and the house is a stone patio. rest of the area buts up to fences with our neighbors. I travel a lot for work during spring and summer and despite all the wonderful qualities my wife has (believe it or not, she is not looking over my shoulder right now), mowing the grass was never something she latched on to. Not really sure why I even posted this as it pretty much has nothing to do with the original topic. I will admit I've been drinking though. On a side note, heading to San Diego in a couple months for a short wedding weekend. Anyone have any advice for me? :D

I wouldn't want a huge yard but also wouldn't want no yard at all. I also realize it's very different living in Columbus, Ohio as opposed to out in Cali or somewhere like that where just a little piece of green **** is such a commodity. We found a solid balance in that we have a front yard and small sliver of a side yard that takes about 20-25 min total to mow with a push mower and no back yard. Our driveway wraps around in an L shape into the garage and the space between that and the house is a stone patio. rest of the area buts up to fences with our neighbors. I travel a lot for work during spring and summer and despite all the wonderful qualities my wife has (believe it or not, she is not looking over my shoulder right now), mowing the grass was never something she latched on to. Not really sure why I even posted this as it pretty much has nothing to do with the original topic. I will admit I've been drinking though. On a side note, heading to San Diego in a couple months for a short wedding weekend. Anyone have any advice for me? :D

Padres game. very nice stadium, very nice people, publlc batting cage . Padres, well....maybe they'll be playing someone good.

Anyone have any advice for me? :D

Get a teenage son. Ooops, scratch that! Then again, I got one and he mows other people's yard for money! With my gas! God knows my cheap ass won't pay him to mow our lawn... He should be doing it for free! Yeah, right...

I could impress my wife into yard work... But I am better off hiring Stevie Wonder!