(OT) Just did a full format - what should i instal

stevestojan

One thing that hasn't been drilled in yet -- if you don't currently have a router/firewall (hardware, not software), and you have broadband, GO GET ONE!!!!!  For example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ronics&n=507846

This will give you the best security -- no worries of Microsoft Messanger messages, other open ports, etc, etc.  Basicaly, all internet traffic will be unable to hit your machine.

AVG Antivirus is good as well.  If you watch what you install, you don't really need to worry about installing spyware removal software.  I usually download and install Adaware once every 3-6 months, and never find anything...

Mozilla is more stable than Firefox, so I use that.  Firefox is the bleeding edge - usually faster, more features, etc, but more prone to crashing.  Either is good.  Opera (another free browser) gets good reviews as well - I've never tried it though.

Hope this helps.

CW

13950[/snapback]

I just installed Firefox for the first time and it's sweet! It imported bookmarks and settings from IE and the tabbed pages are great. What else does it do? What does IE do that Firefox cannot (scripting, activex, plugins)?

I just installed Firefox for the first time and it's sweet!  It imported bookmarks and settings from IE and the tabbed pages are great.  What else does it do?  What does IE  do that Firefox cannot (scripting, activex, plugins)?

13969[/snapback]

Well, Firefox doesn't let people exploit your PC... :unsure:

Seriously though, Firefox doesn't do ActiveX -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's some sites that don't follow the HTML specs correctly, so they don't display right. Otherwise, there's no reason to use IE.

Be sure to check out http://www.mozdev.org for various Mozilla/Firefox plugins.

CW

Well, Firefox doesn't let people exploit your PC... :D

Seriously though, Firefox doesn't do ActiveX -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  There's some sites that don't follow the HTML specs correctly, so they don't display right.  Otherwise, there's no reason to use IE.

Be sure to check out http://www.mozdev.org for various Mozilla/Firefox plugins.

CW

13974[/snapback]

Well, I'm a Windows programmer (I'm sure some here don't approve :unsure: ), so I don't think we should crucify activex completely. But then again microsoft is the ugly giant that everyone wants a piece of and all the kiddies are writing scripts to attack.

My computer was f---ed. Completly. I couldnt even open IE without it "Stop Responding" I was getting more pop ups, pop unders, etc, etc. My homepage changed, etc. So, I FDisk'd it.

NOw my question is, what software should I install now that the machine is "clean" to help keep it healthy.

I have head of SpyBot, and AdAware... which is better, and why? What firewall do you all suggest? etc, etc. . ..

thanks

13708[/snapback]

I use both adaware& spybot with zone alarm pro(firewall)and norton antivirus just make sure you update them every time you run them . for your average internet user I find these work well and first 2 are free there is also a free version of zone alarm. I always install spybot and adaware whenever I do a dsl install on a customers computer its free ,easy to use,and seems to handle alot of spyware isuse's well ,without interfering with other programs :unsure:

Well, Firefox doesn't let people exploit your PC... :unsure:

Seriously though, Firefox doesn't do ActiveX -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  There's some sites that don't follow the HTML specs correctly, so they don't display right.  Otherwise, there's no reason to use IE.

CW

13974[/snapback]

Online banking. It's almost imposible to do it without IE

Online banking. It's almost imposible to do it without IE

14096[/snapback]

As Wacka said, switch banks. I use Citibank with Mozilla and there's no problems.

Send your bank a message saying you don't want to be forced to use IE and will switch to a new bank unless they start fixing the problem. If enough people do that, companies will start coding to the standards instead of to MS.

I've got no problems with any of my credit card accounts either (Discover, Citibank, First Bank).

CW

S-hit, stop using IE. Download Mozilla Firefox, add the Google bar, and you've eliminated 80% of your problems.

13920[/snapback]

If you use Firefox you don't even need the Google bar. Firefox blocks pop ups automagically and incluces a Google search box built into the toolbar! Schweet stuff.

My question is if i download this program is it necessary for me to uninstall my other spyware programs?

14202[/snapback]

No it is not necessary to uninstall it. None of the freeware spyware killing programs I know of run resident. They run only when you load and scan. Having multiple programs to run and scan on demand causes no problems. Just don't run them simultaneously.

Where problems arise is when you run the programs resident and they are constantly monitoring in the background. Since they're both looking for the same thing they often conflict with each other.

There is no reason to run a spyware program in the background, provided you scan regularly and practice safe computing habits. Spy Sweeper gets rave reviews and is good, but it's not free. Personally I use the free version of Adaware and it does what I need it to do. I am meticulous about not installing bloatware and shareware. First thing I do when I buy a pre-configured computer is format the hard drive and install a fresh OS. I then install only what I need and only reputable software from known sources. I also turn off most of Windows services. Never had a virus, spybot or a Rosen I couldn't recover from using backups. All that takes work and diligence. How safe you want to be just depends how much effort you want to expend. Virus and spyware writers prey on those who don't have the knowledge, time or desire to protect themselves.

If you use Firefox you don't even need the Google bar. Firefox blocks pop ups automagically and incluces a Google search box built into the toolbar! Schweet stuff.

14287[/snapback]

Even better -- highlight some text, right click on it and select "Web Search." Brings up a google search for the words you highlighted. I always thought that was pretty cool.

CW

Never had a virus, spybot or a Rosen I couldn't recover from using  backups. 

14350[/snapback]

That's hilarious ... it changed c-r-a-s-h to Rosen :unsure: