QB will be the reason we still can't get it done

Toshiero

Dude, now that I'm home, and I've had a chance to check the box score....I find that I was right: we didn't call a single running play until 9:45 of the 2nd quarter...long after the 1s were out of the game.

Now, I am I supposed to believe that this is how the O will work this year? Come on. They were trying to throw at every single WR/RB. Fred got 3 reps and was out, with 1 ball thrown his way? Nelson gets 2 reps with 0 balls. We threw at least once to every other guy.

This was a practice...with the intention of putting on a vanilla set of plays, intentionally throwing at everybody, and seeing who could make plays even though the D knew what was coming. In contrast, the Redskins didn't do any of that with their 1st offense. No. They ran a gameplan, and I don't blame them because RG3 needs a lot of work. They might as well start now, and he has to be the focus.

Instead, for us, this was a painfully obvious WR/RB/TE ball catching/rout running clinic....and certainly not "what can we have Fitz do to beat the Redskins".

Judging Fitz on this agenda just isn't accurate. We weren't running our offense as much as we were seeing "can this guy beat his guy on this kind of rout?".

This, this and this some more.

The offense was so vanilla/backyard football-esque. There was no motions, it was the bills lining 5 recievers up, have them run different routes and have fitz go through some reads. Also gave them a chance to look at the how the pass blocking is coming along, like if its possible for them to develop longer pass plays. The bills know they can run the ball, why risk a broken clavical aka Ryan Matthews. Hell the players are generally only going 1/2 speed because they don't want to get hurt.

It boggles my mind that people think you can read into pre-season games and that they are a determing factor for the season.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily it was just the first preseason game, so no need to jump off a cliff or anything, but nothing really too surprising either, as alot of us have said if anything brings this team down it will be the QB position. If the 4 quarterbacks who played last night were competing for a backup job on another team, based on last nights game they all would have been cut. They all sucked plain and simple, but they weren't alone. Receivers dropped balls all night. The line sucked especially when Vince Young was in there. Lindell hooked what was basically an extra point. There were a few bright spots though, Moorman was brilliant with 3 great punts and his competition had one nice punt. Scott Chandler looks better then he did last year, I expect a big year from him as him and Fitz seemed to have formed a good bond on the field.

You nailed it about the receivers last night. I'm more concerend about them than I am about QB,

You nailed it about the receivers last night. I'm more concerend about them than I am about QB,

I agree, the Bills had what seems like a great off season, but the one area that needed addressed badly and was pretty much left alone was the wide receiver position. Once Vincent Jackson signed in Tampa it seemed they ignored the position, and it could be one of the worst receiver sets in the league. Stevie makes big plays, but he drops way more then his share of balls too. Graham has the potential with his speed to be a really good #3, but he has a way to go, he looks great on one play then terrible on the next, which is to be expected from a rookie. I think that Bills have a bunch of wideouts that would be good depth as 4's or 5's on alot of teams, but they have to rely on them.

fitz should not be judged on a few series in the first pre-season game. The Bills are trying to upload a very difficult offense, the no-huddle, as a part of their offensive package, and they need some reps to do that, with all of the sloppiness and mistakes that they kind of project entails. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. There were apparently some things to be optimistic about in our offense such as the apparently good play of Cordy Glenn (huge area of need). Lets be a little patient and see how the pre-season plays out before we panic.

I agree, the Bills had what seems like a great off season, but the one area that needed addressed badly and was pretty much left alone was the wide receiver position. Once Vincent Jackson signed in Tampa it seemed they ignored the position, and it could be one of the worst receiver sets in the league. Stevie makes big plays, but he drops way more then his share of balls too. Graham has the potential with his speed to be a really good #3, but he has a way to go, he looks great on one play then terrible on the next, which is to be expected from a rookie. I think that Bills have a bunch of wideouts that would be good depth as 4's or 5's on alot of teams, but they have to rely on them.

I wish we could have gotten a more accurate picture last night, with Chan calling the plays and not using the no-huddle. That said, I'm OK with Stevie and Nelson being 2 of the 3 WRs in the 3-WR set, but Jones, Easley, Hagan, and Graham have a lot to show before one of them claims the 3rd spot.

fitz should not be judged on a few series in the first pre-season game. The Bills are trying to upload a very difficult offense, the no-huddle, as a part of their offensive package, and they need some reps to do that, with all of the sloppiness and mistakes that they kind of project entails. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. There were apparently some things to be optimistic about in our offense such as the apparently good play of Cordy Glenn (huge area of need). Lets be a little patient and see how the pre-season plays out before we panic.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

I've said it before, and I'll mention it here again - what a difference one very good WR would make on this team! Then, all of a sudden these guys we look at as "potentially #2's" could become excellent #3's. Perhaps one of them will blossom into what we need; but, if not, next offseason will definitely be spent on aquiring a developmental, if not potential frachise, QB, and a top end WR. I believe with those 2 additions, we'd be a very solid bet on going into the playoffs for a few years to come.

And, by the way, Fitz's contract is not really as detrimental to the franchise as was suggested. His contract pays him money that QB's in the top half of the league make, from, say, 15-8th, but certainly not elite, and, we could dump him next year and be off the hook for most, if not the rest, of it. So, he's definitely got to prove himself, but either way he will have been paid handsomely for his services.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Fitz isnt there to win us games, he is there to manage games and give us the opportunity to win. Thats what he did when we were winning. Let our defense keeps us in the game, the running game make most of the yards and only use the pass when needed if fitz passes for 200 odd yards 1 or 2 TD's and 1 INT max then we will be able in a position to win most games.

Then we will never win a superbowl. Outside of one Freak season by the Ravens, the QB MUST Be able to WIN GAMES, not just manage the team. Further proof he isn't the guy

I wasnt worried about fitz as much as not running a single play in a formation other then shotgun, we have 2 excellent running backs we need to use them.

I can't disagree with the issue of not running the ball. If I were RW I would pull nix and gailey aside and tell them cut this run and shoot bull ****. As per an earlier post by me, we don't have WR's we need to cut the 4 WR bull **** sets, go with a normal set including our FB who can block DAMN Well and run the freaking football and play D

As far as QB, it was over when they gave Fitz 59 million. This sets the team back many years. Mario & co. on the D-Line will be wasting their talent for years to come while the Bills STILL try to figure out the QB position.

So yes, it is very sad.

You haven't seen any details on his contract, have you?

Fitz's deal is basically a series of three one-year deals (at ~$7-8M apiece) stacked on top of one-another, followed by another 3-year deal worth around $30M. Essentially, he's got this year to prove himself, after which the team can release him with no additionaly monetary hit. Should they choose not to, they'll have the same scenario for the 2013 season. At that time, they have to decide if he's worth a 3-year, $30M contract.

Does that really sound like a deal that has set the team back?

My take on the offense was that Gailey wants to see who he has as a #2, #3, #4 WR on this team and had the QB's throw throw throw.

At this point I'm more concerned about who is going to step up and start catching the ball, run the proper route, make the reads at the line then I am about the QB position

Big dropoff between Stevie and the rest of the pack...

Has anybody else noticed that Fitzpatricks chemistry is with the three slowest members of the offense? It's as if he has issues going to speedier players.

And it just so happened his slot guy was out. He had issues hooking up with Evans, Parrish and it seems like Jones somewhat. His game is definitely the short to intermediate throws. I can only hope coach Lee helps him improve more and more as the season goes on. And from the looks of it, he's not doing any favors for Thigpen and Young.

Edited by DukeyBomb

Troll thread.

Indeed.

My take on the offense was that Gailey wants to see who he has as a #2, #3, #4 WR on this team and had the QB's throw throw throw.

At this point I'm more concerned about who is going to step up and start catching the ball, run the proper route, make the reads at the line then I am about the QB position

Big dropoff between Stevie and the rest of the pack...

My father had an interesting take on the offense, which was that Gailey's plan was to give the young OTs as much time to practice pass protection as possible.

That would at least make sense as to why they did nothing but run empty back sets, basically inviting Washington to rush 6 and automatically get pressure.

Fitz isnt there to win us games, he is there to manage games and give us the opportunity to win. Thats what he did when we were winning. Let our defense keeps us in the game, the running game make most of the yards and only use the pass when needed if fitz passes for 200 odd yards 1 or 2 TD's and 1 INT max then we will be able in a position to win most games.

Wrong. Go back and watch the Oakland New England games from last year.

Indeed.

My father had an interesting take on the offense, which was that Gailey's plan was to give the young OTs as much time to practice pass protection as possible.

That would at least make sense as to why they did nothing but run empty back sets, basically inviting Washington to rush 6 and automatically get pressure.

fair enough, but did you also notice that Stevie didn't catch a ball for the time he was in the game. I think the offense was calling other numbers to see if they could produce or not. Only 3 weeks left to see any of those young WR's are worth a darn

Seems to me that all the passing with the 'ones' was designed to answer one question: Can Glenn hold up in pass pro vs. quality opponents. That issue has to be settled as soon as possible, otherwise Hairston will be moved back to the left side.

Unfortunately, Fitz's poor performance raises even more questions. I'm not a fan of the no huddle with the young WRs we have, so hopefully this was just an experiment rather than a sneek peak of the scheme Chan is going to emphasize this year.

Well Fitz is the guy because VY and Thigpen aren't getting the job done.

PTR

No, Fitz is the guy because the FO AGAIN failed to adequately address the QB situation in the offseason, by mind-numbingly going with a guy who stunk it up in the second half as their starter. Hopefully FredJax and Spiller can carry the load, because Fitz is nothing more than a backup QB.

Seems to me that all the passing with the 'ones' was designed to answer one question: Can Glenn hold up in pass pro vs. quality opponents. That issue has to be settled as soon as possible, otherwise Hairston will be moved back to the left side.

Unfortunately, Fitz's poor performance raises even more questions. I'm not a fan of the no huddle with the young WRs we have, so hopefully this was just an experiment rather than a sneek peak of the scheme Chan is going to emphasize this year.

I hope you are correct, but given Gailey's inclination to use this type of offense during the EPIC FAIL during the second part of last season, something tells me that Gailey is going with this style of crappy offense.

I'm glad they decided to work all game in the spread offense because they clearly need work in that area. Fitz still has accuracy issues, Thigpen is probably the worst 2nd string QB in the league and VY simply can't throw and doesn't have any progressions besides gluing on a WR and forcing it or running. At least VY can run the ball.

If Fitz is our QB, we can win 7-9 games. If he goes down, maybe 4 or 5. This position needs to be addressed. They will start crowding the box like last year until we can stretch the field - right now we have no QB that is a threat.

fair enough, but did you also notice that Stevie didn't catch a ball for the time he was in the game. I think the offense was calling other numbers to see if they could produce or not. Only 3 weeks left to see any of those young WR's are worth a darn

Johnson had a nice TD, but of course it got called back by Spillers inability to line-up correctly. Using RB's as WR's consistently has its drawbacks. Perhaps signing TO or someone with WR experience would have been a good idea.

Then we will never win a superbowl. Outside of one Freak season by the Ravens, the QB MUST Be able to WIN GAMES, not just manage the team. Further proof he isn't the guy

I can't disagree with the issue of not running the ball. If I were RW I would pull nix and gailey aside and tell them cut this run and shoot bull ****. As per an earlier post by me, we don't have WR's we need to cut the 4 WR bull **** sets, go with a normal set including our FB who can block DAMN Well and run the freaking football and play D

+1. This is the only way we win games. I am hoping (but not hopeful) that this has already happened and the pre-season is a smokscreen of sorts to see if there is any chance the run and shoot can work. Based on last night, it can't. When you have 2 potential 1K yard rushers, you use them!