What's in those College Transcripts?

You know this brings up an interesting point that I've thought about before. Basically wondering...should Paul or the libertarian movement have attached to the GOP? B/c really the way I see it historically the GOP has spent even though they are supposedly the party of fiscal conservatism. And they are obviously the party of social conservatism. And his war positions directly oppose that of the GOP more so than the Dems.

I often wondered, given the accepted premise that he needed to infiltrate a major party in order to gain funding and "legitimacy" in the eyes of the voters ... whether the libertarian movement would have had an equally strong chance pushing the left its way as the right. The obvious reality is no matter what he wouldn't sway either party completely...but could he have pulled more Dems and then still poached moderate Repubs undercutting their spending position and leaving them w/ mere social conservatism and war policy.

Not really making a point here and I'm not suggesting anything either way just thinking out loud..but I have often wondered if maybe the Libertarian movement could have netted more voters on balance had they chosen to sort of push the left their way and poach from the right as opposed to vis versa. Now obviously the basic economic philosophy is a big push. But no less a push than many of the foreign policy and social issues is to the right. And in general it's not like the GOPs economic philosophy was actually aligned w/ Paul to begin with (although it obviously was closer).

Anyway...idk...thoughts? Stupid?

I've had this conversation elsewhere, as it seems, on the surface as though this should make sense. However, a critical examination quickly breaks up any marraige the two might have as partners in Party. Libertarian's central overarching point is largely economic, whether they are Austrian market based proponents or Friedmanesque Chicago School supply siders. They believe that economic freedom is essential and empowering to the social freedoms advocated by both themselves and modern liberals, and as such can't compromise on the economic issues without knowing that they have given up their entire guiding philosophy in doing so. Republicans, on the other hand, atleast give lip service to the core economic values of libertarians (even if they don't actually bring it to the table), so while their social conservatism is abhorant, libertarians atleast hold out hope that if they can further sound economic policy, the fear driven social agendas will continue to slowly slip away.

Then there's the fact that the Democratic Party wants nothing to do with them.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic