Morrison V Moats

Guys, just because a player plays one position in college doesn't mean he is going to impact at that position in the NFL. Moats was a DE, right? I'm not a big Sheppard fan, I like him on the outside because I don't think he takes good angles and hesitates too much and gets caught up in the wash. On the outside he doesn't have to worry about angles and its more obvious when a play is coming at him. He is talented but, from what I saw last year & in camp, the Bills are forcing this issue. In fact I think Barnett would be better in the middle. I like Sheppard but I don't feel he is a good fit as a MLB in the NFL. There I said it out loud. LOL

I don't think he's fast enough to play OLB in the 4-3. Coverage isn't his strength. Thumping is. You saw him playing the ILB in the 3-4 last gear. It's a different position than the 4-3 MLB (and has different angles), the position he played 4 years at LSU. While I don't think he's going to be a game changing MLB and will never sniff a pro bowl, I think he's got the heart and leadership along with lots of experience calling the plays (in college anyway). I think he will be a solid pro and and I'm looking forward to see how much he's improved with a full training camp and a year experience under his belt.

With regards to the moats vs Morrison battle, I hope Moats wins it because he's young and has upside. I think Morrison will win it due to his experience. I wish Bradham or Carder were being talked about in this battle though. I'd be fired up if both were starting alongside sheppard in a couple years. Not because they are our only options, but because they are good players.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling then that morrison will not make it over chris white. if he cant win the starting job then this tells me his skills have eroded somewhat and it wiser to hang on to white who is ascending...

yuuup!

Moats has been one of the most pleasant surprises in camp thus far. So much so that he has already passed veteran OLB K. Morrison on the depth chart. That's very impressive considering that Moats was a DE in college and hasn't had much time to acclimate to the OLB position in a 4-3.

What the Bills like about Moats (over Morrison) is his ability to rush the passer from the OLB position.

I think we're going to see Moats rushing the passer at times in obvious passing situations even with the D-line players that we now have because he's very good at it.

This is great news for our defense because many including myself viewed Morrison as a potential weak link going into camp and if Moats proves to be an upgrade over Morrison then the Bills will have really improved their defense across the board.

Morrison is still a very good player to have around because he can play both MLB and OLB. He'll likely be our primary backup MLB with Moats starting at strong side OLB.

Why does Morrison get no respect on this board? The guy was a big time factor for Oakland and they have nit exactly got better at LB since. Morrison has recorded 100+ tackles every year except last year. He can find an INT and can just play defense. He isn't a HOF guy but at just 30 yrs old he is in his still 3 to4 yrs from a decline. This with the resigning earlier means he is a Bill for 2012.

Id rather cut Kelsey then Morrison...and I like Kelsey.

this should not come as a surprise, morrison has been a very servicable stop gap player for a while now. At some point we had to figure that either moats, bradham or carder would be the starter. KM will be a valuable backup for us.

Anyways, there were a group of posters here who felt that Moats wouldn't make the team this year as he "didn't fit the defense."

In that context it's interesting to hear Moats comment about playing in the 4-3:

“I feel like with my skill set and body size it’s a better fit for me,” he said of the 4-3. “The alignment is different, and what they're asking me to do is different. When you're in a 3-4 you're rushing and a lot of time you have to hold up against those big tackles. With a 4-3 you're off the ball and you're able to use your quickness more. I've been used to taking on those guys from close to the line, and now I have a running start.”