Special Teams

There's been a lot of talk about the kickers so far during TC... How about the special teams as a whole?

A general strength or liability?

How many new faces will we see chasing down NJ's returner?

What kind of impact will these units have on final roster cuts?

Given the newly acquired depth on the team, are we better off than last year?

Where do we end up at the end of the year, relative to other teams?

Special teams, IMO, will be interesting to watch for a lot of reasons.

I'd say right now it's a 50-50 chance we keep Potter on the roster. Nix said after they drafted him they will surely keep a guy just for KO if he is consistently good, and the reports so far are that he has looked good. He would also help on FGs that were over, say, 52 yards or so, whatever is Lindell's reach these days.

If they keep Potter, the need for a guy who is a back-up that will rarely of ever see the field, a guy like Ruvel Martin last year, goes down a notch. Personally, I think they keep Potter and they don't keep any guy on the team that is a low level back-up but stud STer.

The reason for that is the draft class this year. Nigel Bradham and Ron Brooks were studs in college on ST and it's likely they will play on the Bills, too. Most draftees like that were stars on their college teams and didnt have a lot of ST experience but both of those guys played ST all through school, even as seniors and were standouts. Tank Carder is also very likely to be good on ST. All three of those guys are pretty much locks to make the team anyway because they were drafted at positions of need, and will be amongst the regular back-ups at their respective positions. The rookies still have to prove they can perform at the NFL level, but I think our special teams should be in good hands.

Not to knock DeHaven but I miss Bobby April and would be more confident if he was still here.

I Hated Bobby April. Im convinced he was the reason we had no depth anywhere and had to sign guys off the street when Poz went down with his annual week 2 injury . All of our backups were drafted to be special teamers. Giving him the title of asst. HC was a mistake, gave him way too much say in personal decisions. Ya our coverage teams were great, but we had no backups and that was one of our biggest problems during the DJ era

There's been a lot of talk about the kickers so far during TC... How about the special teams as a whole?

A general strength or liability?

How many new faces will we see chasing down NJ's returner?

What kind of impact will these units have on final roster cuts?

Given the newly acquired depth on the team, are we better off than last year?

Where do we end up at the end of the year, relative to other teams?

Also, "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"

And," if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there, does it make a sound?"

I Hated Bobby April. Im convinced he was the reason we had no depth anywhere and had to sign guys off the street when Poz went down with his annual week 2 injury .

I thought he commemorated that occasion in week 3… or did he change that at some point?

...he queries snootily as he flicks a cold smirk in the direction of the common folk.

Quite so.

But to be a sport and condescend to the discussion… :)

There are a lot of dimensions.

There are special teams-only guys who are so amped and crazy (Josh Stamer, Hal Garner, Mark Pike, etc.) that they're worth more than more talented players who don't have the same temperament. They give the roster a toughness which is required in football.

Conversely, there are very talented players who aren't worth a lick on special teams because they don't have the temperament required to play on the suicide squads.

Then you have the best of both worlds where you have a guy like Cory McIntyre, Carwell Gardner, Butch Rolle who are good players on special teams and from scrimmage.

And if you turn over a significant portion of the roster to younger players each year (more ready, willing, able to use teams as a foothold for their career), you can get 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounders who will play significant roles on teams early in their careers before establishing themselves as valuable players from scrimmage.

Then you get guys who were miscast as special teams-only guys who proved later in their careers that they should have played larger roles from scrimmage… guys like Steve Tasker and Mario Haggan.

It's really a complex discussion.

But in general, the more talented your team is, the better your special teams will be.

DeHaven is a good coach and the Bills are a talented team. I'm not sure how many games special teams is gonna win for us this year but I expect that they'll be better than average… that they'll be more of a positive than a negative.

My primary concern is that I would like to see our ST be a little more exciting with more trick plays. I was little upset last year because they were too conservative but now looking back I can see that they might have been playing it basic for a reason.

My primary concern is that I would like to see our ST be a little more exciting with more trick plays. I was little upset last year because they were too conservative but now looking back I can see that they might have been playing it basic for a reason.

I doubt we see this from DeHaven who from what I have seen is great DT tactician but generally tends toward the more conservative side in terms of using ST as high risk/high reward effort.

I gave no problem with this approach and I think we are going about this well emphasizing getting good ST players (Both Badham and Brooks built their college reps by being solid ST guys rather than as position players. The Bills are clearly committed to using roster spots for specialty guys like Potter rather than getting solid back-ups for the starting position players.

However, we better be lucky with injuries or it is gonna be tough.

I Hated Bobby April. Im convinced he was the reason we had no depth anywhere and had to sign guys off the street when Poz went down with his annual week 2 injury . All of our backups were drafted to be special teamers. Giving him the title of asst. HC was a mistake, gave him way too much say in personal decisions. Ya our coverage teams were great, but we had no backups and that was one of our biggest problems during the DJ era

Interesting POV and one I hadn't considered. Scratching my head right now wondering if you might be right.

Interesting POV and one I hadn't considered. Scratching my head right now wondering if you might be right.

I think Capy makes a good point but what it really points to is the weakness of head coaching.

When Kevin Gilbride worked under Bill Cowher and Tom Coughlin, his pass-happiness was always held in check.

When he worked for Jack Pardee and Greg(g) Williams he was not held in check.

In other words, an assistant can only ruin something as far as his boss lets him.

Well this has turned into a chippy little thread. All I have to say say is I went to last Wednesday's evening's TC and watched Potter kick the crap out of the ball. If it's out of the endzone every kick off it's less wear and tear on STs and fewer injuries. My brother and I argued it all night. He says it's a waste of a roster spot, I say he should stick.