Aug 2 Training Camp

Some of the things I noticed at camp today:

----------Fitz was on fire. He had some beautiful DEEP throws that would've been TDs or at least HUGE gains. He was also as accurate as I've ever seen him. He had the ball on the money all over the field.... He did have one really terrible throw over the middle, but I think it might've been a busted route. I couldn't even tell who he was throwing to.

----------Is it too late to just cut VY and Pigpen now and look for another backup? They were both god awful. VY had a couple nice bullets over the middle, but was constantly over- and under- throwing receivers.

His timing was worse than I could ever describe.

One of his deep balls was so under-thrown that by the time it got near the receiver who had beaten his man, THREE defenders were in the area, and the FS made an easy pick. It looked like a shanked punt.

If I didn't know better, I'd think he won a radio contest to win a chance to practice with the Bills. JUST TERRIBLE. I was excited when he was signed and defended him and the FO, but I can no longer do so. VY does still have his legs, so if he makes the team and Fitz goes down, expect to see a QB option offense.

----------Mario is every good thing anyone has ever said about him.

----------Merriman appears to be 100%. He got a lot of time in the nickel package during the 11v11s. Even if he isn't 100%, he was still disruptive and I expect everyone will soon agree that Buddy's gamble finally paid off.

---------Gilmore is everything everyone has been saying: fast, physical, and smart......But... he was getting abused on back shoulder throws on hitches. I'm guessing that there was some emphasis on testing him in that area, and that it is something correctable. Even then, he was right on his man and I think he can be coached to make the proper adjustments. Otherwise he was all over the field and looked like a #1 NFL corner.

---------Easley is a beast. Maybe it's the 81, but he looked like TO out there- deceptively fast and was catching everything in his radius..

---------Cordy Glenn is huge. Merriman was giving him some problems at times, but Glenn looks like he can start.

---------Searcy LABELED Roosevelt, but Roosevelt popped right back up.

---------I take back every bad thing I ever said about Tashard Choice. The guy looked super nimble- I even mistook him for Fred once. He also faked Sukay (I think) out of his jock for a would be touchdown after some nifty moves to get into the second level.

---------Potter looks like he's about 15 years old. The kid has a leg. But Lindell was banging some deep ones too- even a 50 yarder one of the field goal scramble drills.

---------TJ Graham could easily be the #2 receiver. I don't know if was just Fitz playing his heart out or what, but TJ, Easely, and Donald Jones ALL looked really good. I think they ALL will get significant time this year and ALL make solid contributions.

--------Nelson was doing push-ups on the side line during most of the practice. A set of 5, then chill for a couple minutes, then do 10, then wait a minute, do 5 more, and so on... it didn't seem to correspond with anything happening on the field, but it was weird how he'd start and stop really abruptly, as if it did relate with something else. Seemed random, tho.

-------The Stache is very active- running around and talking to individual players in between plays and during drills. I like it.

-------Jim Leonard was on the sideline, tho I'm sure you heard about that already

-------John Murphy looks noticeably older than the last time I remember seeing him.

I think that's it. I'm gonna review the pics I took on my phone and post them if any look good.

Got any ?s I will do my best to answer!

PS I havent been to camp since it was held in Fredonia, and I must say they are doing it RIGHT at SJF. Great atmosphere, plenty of friendly staff, and you can tell the Bills et al are making a concerted effort to make camp a destination for fans. I truly recommend it to all.

Edited by uncle flap

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

---------Gilmore is everything everyone has been saying: fast, physical, and smart......But... he was getting abused on back shoulder throws on hitches. I'm guessing that there was some emphasis on testing him in that area, and that it is something correctable. Even then, he was right on his man and I think he can be coached to make the proper adjustments. Otherwise he was all over the field and looked like a #1 NFL corner. ...

Probably THE single most difficult pass for a DB to defend. Also one of the hardest for a QB to throw consistently.

Thanks for the report. Good stuff for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh I forgot- both FJ and Spiller had some really nice long runs.

I think Spiller is really improving on his patience and knowing when to turn on the afterburners.

Also- the Dline as a whole had at least three plays where all four of them beat their blocks and were on top of the QB. They didn't seem like busted screens or draws, but I mean literally running by the oline like they werent even there.

Oh I forgot- both FJ and Spiller had some really nice long runs.

I think Spiller is really improving on his patience and knowing when to turn on the afterburners.

Also- the Dline as a whole had at least three plays where all four of them beat their blocks and were on top of the QB. They didn't seem like busted screens or draws, but I mean literally running by the oline like they werent even there.

SCHWING!

GO BILLS!!!

I posted this is another thread but one funny thing I noticed was the TE Caussin practicing long snapping to Garrison Sanborn on the side. He looked pretty good doing it too. Maybe he'll be the backup LS.

yeah I saw that too. He wasn't running around but didnt appear to be injured either. Did you see him do some pushup with Nelson? What was up with that?

And my buddy just reminded me of when Thigpen whipped the ball at the ball boy. I mean, the kid had his hands up and was expecting a pass, but definitely not with that type of velocity. I almost spit out the water I was drinking.

One more funny thing- I heard a 4 or 5 year old girl ask her mom, "Why are most of the players black?"

Some of the things I noticed at camp today:

----------Fitz was on fire. He had some beautiful DEEP throws that would've been TDs or at least HUGE gains. He was also as accurate as I've ever seen him. He had the ball on the money all over the field.... He did have one really terrible throw over the middle, but I think it might've been a busted route. I couldn't even tell who he was throwing to.

----------Is it too late to just cut VY and Pigpen now and look for another backup? They were both god awful. VY had a couple nice bullets over the middle, but was constantly over- and under- throwing receivers.

His timing was worse than I could ever describe.

One of his deep balls was so under-thrown that by the time it got near the receiver who had beaten his man, THREE defenders were in the area, and the FS made an easy pick. It looked like a shanked punt.

If I didn't know better, I'd think he won a radio contest to win a chance to practice with the Bills. JUST TERRIBLE. I was excited when he was signed and defended him and the FO, but I can no longer do so. VY does still have his legs, so if he makes the team and Fitz goes down, expect to see a QB option offense.

----------Mario is every good thing anyone has ever said about him.

----------Merriman appears to be 100%. He got a lot of time in the nickel package during the 11v11s. Even if he isn't 100%, he was still disruptive and I expect everyone will soon agree that Buddy's gamble finally paid off.

---------Gilmore is everything everyone has been saying: fast, physical, and smart......But... he was getting abused on back shoulder throws on hitches. I'm guessing that there was some emphasis on testing him in that area, and that it is something correctable. Even then, he was right on his man and I think he can be coached to make the proper adjustments. Otherwise he was all over the field and looked like a #1 NFL corner.

---------Easley is a beast. Maybe it's the 81, but he looked like TO out there- deceptively fast and was catching everything in his radius.

---------Mark Anderson is also a beast. Lots of variation in his pass rushes, and was even dropping back into coverage quite a bit, too.

---------Cordy Glenn is huge. Merriman was giving him some problems at times, but Glenn looks like he can start.

---------Searcy LABELED Roosevelt, but Roosevelt popped right back up.

---------I take back every bad thing I ever said about Tashard Choice. The guy looked super nimble- I even mistook him for Fred once. He also faked Sukay (I think) out of his jock for a would be touchdown after some nifty moves to get into the second level.

---------Potter looks like he's about 15 years old. The kid has a leg. But Lindell was banging some deep ones too- even a 50 yarder one of the field goal scramble drills.

---------TJ Graham could easily be the #2 receiver. I don't know if was just Fitz playing his heart out or what, but TJ, Easely, and Donald Jones ALL looked really good. I think they ALL will get significant time this year and ALL make solid contributions.

--------Nelson was doing push-ups on the side line during most of the practice. A set of 5, then chill for a couple minutes, then do 10, then wait a minute, do 5 more, and so on... it didn't seem to correspond with anything happening on the field, but it was weird how he'd start and stop really abruptly, as if it did relate with something else. Seemed random, tho.

-------The Stache is very active- running around and talking to individual players in between plays and during drills. I like it.

-------Jim Leonard was on the sideline, tho I'm sure you heard about that already

-------John Murphy looks noticeably older than the last time I remember seeing him.

I think that's it. I'm gonna review the pics I took on my phone and post them if any look good.

Got any ?s I will do my best to answer!

PS I havent been to camp since it was held in Fredonia, and I must say they are doing it RIGHT at SJF. Great atmosphere, plenty of friendly staff, and you can tell the Bills et al are making a concerted effort to make camp a destination for fans. I truly recommend it to all.

Thanks for the update

Probably THE single most difficult pass for a DB to defend. Also one of the hardest for a QB to throw consistently.

Thanks for the report. Good stuff for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah you're right- I think what made them so remarkable is how FItz was able to rifle them to the exact spot they needed to be. His timing with the receivers was impeccable.

I made a point of focusing on Gilmore quite a bit and it would seem like the nanosecond the WR would being to turn back, the ball would already be there.

I was skeptical about the influence David Lee would have on Fitz, but at least today, it seems Fitz is getting something out of it. Or maybe he was just having an awesome day.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START!!!! BILLS OPENER

Wasn't it just yesterday that Easley couldn't catch a pass? Glad to see he rebounded.

Glad to hear that Merriman is good, too.

And I can't wait to see what Fitz does in the preseason and on. I saw in the Shoutbox that he through a ball that went over 50 yards to Hagan. Pretty impressive. :worthy:

Yeah that was a beaut! It was about 50 yards IN THE AIR and about a 70 yard gain/TD. It's always interesting to imagine these plays in real scenarios against actual opponents: Would so-and-so break that tackle? Would so-and-so lay the lumber on that receiver? I mean, Spiller looked like he might've had 3 or 4 touchdowns in real game scenarios.

Oh, and not only did Hagan catch that bomb- SJ reeled in a bomb from Fitz, as did Graham and Spiller. SJ had another that may have touched the ground. It def woulda went to the booth in real life.

FJ also caught a bomb from VY which was one of VY's 4 or 5 good throws the whole practice.

CORRECTION: I see that Anderson was held out, so I have no idea who was backing up at LE/LOLB in the nickel on 7v7s, but he was awesome!

I could've sworn it was 93, and I don't think Dwan (98) is that agile, so maybe I can figure it out once the videos are up on bb.com

Now that I think about it, maybe it was Bradham (53). It was the far side of the field- Sorry guys.

Edited by uncle flap

One last thing: We can probably bid a fond farewell to McGee.

He was working out vigorously on his own early in the practice... he looked quick doing ladder drills... then, next thing I know, he's sitting down getting treatment on his leg.

I didn't see what happened but while he was getting his leg looked at he angrily threw a towel at a trainer. Well, not at the trainer, but he hit him with it. More of just a frustrated flail. Later I saw him with his leg wrapped in ice.

Thanks for the report uncle flap!! How did Kyle Williams & Marcell Dareus look out there today? Also, how did Wood look (in the limited amount of reps he got). Thanks again!

Kyle Williams was hardly on the field. I dont think he was in the 7v7 or 11v11s at all. I think they're playing it safe.

Same with Wood. He got a few reps in the team drills, but I didn't see a lot of him. Unless I'm mistaken, I did see him get quite a bit of push on a couple of run plays.

I was mostly watching Gilmore or the D line (especially Merriman and Mario) when I wasn't watching the ball, so I kinda neglected the interior.

I did see Dareus looking strong in some one on one drills, and for such a big guy, he was remarkably quick and shifty. Dwan Edwards was in Kyle's place a lot of the time and I did notice him creating some pressure next to Dareus in the team drills.

thanks for the report, if we get one good one of these a day its much better then the biased stuff CB posts, i really like CB I just think that the Bills make sure he doesnt make anyone look bad and I just like it when people are honest. The whole W.R situation is going to be really interesting to me. From what Gailey has said, Smith isnt getting cut. If we keep 6 W.R technically we will actually have 7 with smith and I just dont see us doing that. If we had to keep 5 I would say go with: Johnson, Easley, Graham, Nelson, Hagan. That would mean cutting Jones who technically was our #2 W.R. I just dont think I could justify cutting one of those 5 over him especially when there talent doesnt compare... Just something to watch. I think McGee is as good as gone, and I actually feel really sorry for him.