I firmly believe this must be it for Fitz

Bills only beat NE because Brady threw 4 INTs.

right, the offense didn't need to score.

i hate to ask, but is it possible you don't understand the basic concepts of how this game is played?

if so, let me start, ok, you've got 11 guys on the field on defense and offense, but before they take the field, first they have the national anthem, then comes the coin flip, and most times players from each team shake hands, and then they run off to their respective sidelines ...

keeping up with me so far, or should i slow down.

and then comes the kickoff. that's right k-i-c-k-o-f-f. ...

jw

Edited by john wawrow

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills only beat NE because Brady threw 4 INTs. Know the last time we beat Brady? He threw 4 INTs. Pretty safe to say as long as Brady does not throw 4 INTs the Bills will not be beating the Patriots. Last year's win was fun, I was at the game, but it was a complete fluke and it is crazy to call it otherwise.

Fitz has given the Bills no chance from day 1. It has shown in the number of wins they have too.

I can do that too.

GO BILLS@!!! I still want them to win, they just won't with him at QB, it has been proven.

The thing that is hard for me to see in regard to all the vitriol on Fitzy that the whole view to me misses key points like:

1. Be it an objective rather than selective choice of stats (which I think you rely on heavily- to my mind the stats might give one a good indication of the the truth but rarely PROVE anything, Fitzy is not to this point anywhere near a top echelon QB in this league. However, he is a relatively young player who has shown incredible brightness and is a bit more athletic than many would expect from a smart seeminly whitebread kind of guy. He clearly has been inconsistent, but definitely shown moments of glory which have given his teammates, coaches, and a lot of fans feel good about him.

Is he gonna be a great QB? Doubtful.

Is he a horrible QB? Also doubtful.

2. Can the Bills win the SB without a great QB?

Nope. However, it is extremely doubtful this teams wins the SB even with a great QB.

Please.

Having a great QB is a great thing, but in an of itself it does not guarantee anything in this game.

The big deal here is that what the Bills should shoot for is not to win the SB right here right now, but "merely" just make the playoffs.

3. Can the Bills make the playoffs with a not so good QB?

You bet. In fact Gailey has demonstrated in his career that he has been able to have productive teams and his teams can bring better performance to not so good QBs (like Fiedker and Kordell.

It simply is a pretty nonsensical question to worry about whether Fitzy is a top echelon QB. He ain't but that likely does not matter if the Bills do well what they are trying to do:

1. Run an exciting Gailey O which maximizes the production of marginal players and gets good production from the sprinkly of good talent they have.

2. Line up a game controlling D behind a talented front and some talent in the back 7.

3. Have some demonstrated skill players and good prospects on ST.

In this league right here and right now this QB thing is an important side show, its a critical sideshow as this player handles the ball on most (but sifnificantly less for our wildcat O).

If this team performs like it can on O, strategically (and often luckily) as this team seems set up to be, then even when the so-so part of Fitzy leads the team they still can win and one of the results ironically will be that Fitzy gets deckared a top echelon of NFL QBs

I think I see Fitzpatrick very accurately, and, I believe this is a critical year for him. I'd say if he didn't play very well this year, the Bills will look for a replacement next year - actually, they should get a young QB in here regardless, it's where they draft one that Fitz's play this year will decide.

Fitz has a great football mind - maybe as good as Manning's. It's his body that betrays him. He just hasn't been physically able to make the completions his mind wants him to make. Many people have written him off because of that, believing that a QB cannot improve mechanics, accuracy, and the like, once they're fully developed. I don't know about that. Like I said, it has been his accuracy, his physical limitations that have limited him, and this team. If he can reduce his interceptions, show better long ball accuracy, then we should be good for a number of years going forward.

It looks to me, though, that the success the Bills will, or will not have, this year, is depending most of all on Fitzpatrick's play. (People might argue that - but, you replace Fitz with Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton, or Matt Ryan, and the Bills would be a clear lock for the playoffs and a 11 or 12 win season.) The Bills have done enough everywhere else in these last few years to now have a team that can compare, talent wise, in a lot of areas, to the better teams in the NFL. It's Fitz's time to show that QB is also one of them.

I am sick of the Bills and the fans clinging to feel good stories, I want results. Ralph has paid a ton and given Nix and Gailey a ton of room to do what is needed for this team. I feel this is the best overall talent we have had in a long time, and this is the best overall coaching staff possibly ever. We have NEVER had a DC as good as the 'stache' and I am sorry this isn't even debatable.

That said, Fitz has had plenty of time. He now has a QB coach directly working with him, full offseason, was the clear cut starter all of last year, all this offseason and will be all this season. If he doesn't make a significant improvement, he isn't going to at this stage of his career. It will be time to part ways and clean up the main position that is holding us back.

He doesn't need Brees numbers, he needs to put up a much better completion %, get the ball downfield much better and have a MUCH better TD to Int ratio and get us over the 10 win mark. If he doesn't its time to part ways.

I personally pray this guy does it, I am ready for this position to finally be settled.

Yes lets part ways with him when we have absolutely zero replacements for him, and there will likely be no prospects as good as him. I'll admit that at one time I pulled for Edwards over Fitz and I, like you, was very wrong. I'm for bringing in competition or a prospect but this man has the locker room, the coaching staff, and hell most of us cant help but pull for him. You dont part ways with your best player even if he is average unless your sure you can replace or improve with him or if he is aging or wants some crazy contract.

I think I see Fitzpatrick very accurately, and, I believe this is a critical year for him. I'd say if he didn't play very well this year, the Bills will look for a replacement next year - actually, they should get a young QB in here regardless, it's where they draft one that Fitz's play this year will decide.

I agree that the Bills should look for a replacement QB in the draft next year no matter what.

I disagree that they should change where they look for one depending upon how Fitz plays.

Drafting Rodgers in the 1st when they already had Favre ... worked kinda well for GB, dinnit?

right, the offense didn't need to score.

i hate to ask, but is it possible you don't understand the basic concepts of how this game is played?

if so, let me start, ok, you've got 11 guys on the field on defense and offense, but before they take the field, first they have the national anthem, then comes the coin flip, and most times players from each team shake hands, and then they run off to their respective sidelines ...

keeping up with me so far, or should i slow down.

and then comes the kickoff. that's right k-i-c-k-o-f-f. ...

jw

A little slower John....I dont think he is getting it

I agree that the Bills should look for a replacement QB in the draft next year no matter what.

I disagree that they should change where they look for one depending upon how Fitz plays.

Drafting Rodgers in the 1st when they already had Favre ... worked kinda well for GB, dinnit?

I agree that they should draft a player capable of becoming our next QB in the next draft. However, I doubt that we can draft that next QB if we are looking to replace Fitz next year or even in 2014 as even for a first round QB choice the draft is such a crapshoot for QB (and even most other position) development.

Most posters simply overvalue the draft as a producer of immediate help for a team. I feel this way in general and confirmed it with an intensive statistical review of a draft class generally judged to be a pretty strong one (I think it was the 2009 or 10 class).

At any rate, I looked at the first round picks at the beginning of the next season and even with this strong class only slightly more than 50% of these first round picks were starters at their position for the teams which drafted them the year before.

Is the draft a good source of players? Yep. Good players come from somewhere and good players tend to get drafted. However, in the real world, a player who falls to you in your specific area of need might turn our to be Mike Williams or another idiot taken at RT by Minnesota with the next choice. Both were big disappointments a players.

Anecdotally this seems even more true for QBs where with every Peyton Manning there is a Ryan Leaf judged by many professionals at the time as pretty close to Manning as a prospect. The simple fact is that if Fitzy fails it is pretty unlikely that the Bills will be able to stumble onto Aaron Rodgers in the draft as his replacement for 2013.

The key for the Bills if Fitzy deserves to be cut after this year is likely to entertain multiple options like FA signings, or development of internal talents lik VY (or even perhaps Thigpen if he shows a sudden development which saves him from getting cut in favor of VY . but he has shown little to avoid such a demise so far.

I agree that they should draft a player capable of becoming our next QB in the next draft. However, I doubt that we can draft that next QB if we are looking to replace Fitz next year or even in 2014 as even for a first round QB choice the draft is such a crapshoot for QB (and even most other position) development.

(....)

The key for the Bills if Fitzy deserves to be cut after this year is likely to entertain multiple options like FA signings, or development of internal talents lik VY (or even perhaps Thigpen if he shows a sudden development which saves him from getting cut in favor of VY . but he has shown little to avoid such a demise so far.

I don't disagree with you about the crap-shoot nature of the draft. I looked at the success rate of 1st round QB a while back. It's better than QB drafted 3rd round and later but it isn't pretty (and that was defining success as having a reasonable duration of career in the NFL, not as "playing like Peyton Manning".

My point of disagreement with your original post was whether where the Bills draft a QB should depend upon Fitz's performance. I think they should "go for the gusto" and if there's a QB they like, take him whether Fitz does well or poorly.

I agree with you that if Fitz does poorly, the Bills would be well-served to look to a veteran FA for next year's QB. That class of dudes will, BTW, include VY next year since he's here on a 1 year deal.

I view this year more of a year to show us if Chan Gailey can get it done or not. This will be his 3rd year as HC.

That right side of the O line is still very questionable if the Bills want to open up the deep passing game with TJ Graham.

Only one WR is a stand out so far, last season Johnson at #19 and the next best at #61 (Nelson). While all the fans are gushing about how good all the young WR's look at training camp it all comes down to production on the field once the season starts.

Tight end, Scott Chandler caught more balls thrown at him then any other player on the team last year. Chandler needs to be the primary target more often and not just in the red zone.

RB, even when the Bills were doing a great job of running the ball in some games Gailey would abandon it for constant shotgun pass plays. At some point in the 2nd half of the season this really got old and ineffective, and yet Gailey couldn't stop calling pass plays all game long.

LT, right now the race between Hairstson and Glenn is close and both are sharing snaps at that position. But will the coaches know the difference between the better player once the season starts? They failed to do that in several positions over the last two years.

Although the Bills started out the season very strongly in 2011, looking like a playoff contender. The team fell on its face and became a bad team again. So many key injuries to overcome along with bad backup players. There shouldn't be that big a drop off at so many positions, the 2nd stringers should at the very least know how to do their respective job at an NFL level.

Fitz has proven he is head and shoulders above the 6 other QB's the Bills have had on the team the last 2 years, he is not the issue. I firmly believe this must be it for Chan Gailey! He needs to prove he can field a competitive winning team in the AFC East