A Scientific Approach To Better Play Calling

I'm encouraged by the off-season moves that improved the overall talent level of the team. But with training camp about to start, we still have a problem that needs attention. In several games last season, Chan abandoned the run and relied too heavily on the passing game, especially in the second half of close games.

We have much better talent now, but if Chan can't displace his bias toward the passing game, his offensive play calling could still be our Archimedes heel. Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are very talented - - but Chan needs to let them run the ball a little more often. The play calling MUST improve for the team to maximize its potential.

In a way, Chan was a victim of his own early season offensive success. The team won some early season comeback games where Chan had no choice but to use the passing game. But as a result, Chan's play calling began to display a bias in favor of passing, even when the running game was working. It's understandable that in the pressure cooker atmosphere of a close game, with the play clock winding down, Chan's decisions would be more emotional and less deliberative. Result - - too much passing and not enough running late in close games.

The good news is that recent Nobel Prize-winning scientific research provides a solution. You make more deliberative and less emotional decisions if you think about a problem in a foreign language. Sounds strange, I know, but it's true. Here's an article entitled "Thinking In A Foreign Language Makes Decisions More Rational" - - it explains the phenomenon:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/04/language-and-bias/?utm_source=Contextly&utm_medium=RelatedLinks&utm_campaign=Interesting

Let's win with our physical talents AND our minds! If Chan doesn't already speak a foreign language, he needs to start learning one now, so that he can think about play calls in a foreign language and make better decisions when the regular season starts.

What language do you think he should learn?

Great Humor!

However - I totally agree about Chan's failure in play calling last year, and, it seems it was due to exactly what you write - the early season success somehow blinded him to the potential of the running game, which was the only offensive thing working later in the season. Gailey ignored running the ball to such a degree, and at such obvious times, that there were times last year I thought Gailey was deliberately not trying to win. I know it sounds rubbish, but there were games when the passing was obviously not working, and the running game, although in limited action, was working fine, yet Gailey refused to go there. I wondered if he wasn't trying to secure a better draft position, knowing his team wasn't good enough to go far regardless. As I said, rubbish! But, it illustrates the point - Gailey had some really bad games, play calling, and I hope he can see that, in retrospect, and make better decisions for us this year.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Not sure it is that easy to learn another language when you are an older person, I say that with the experience of living in Thailand for the last 5 years and still having major problems understanding and using it. I am still younger than Chan though.

I would think he should not get all the blame for Fitz throwing the long ball on 3rd and one when that is the read he makes (from what I hear it is his mechanics fault).

Not sure it is that easy to learn another language when you are an older person, I say that with the experience of living in Thailand for the last 5 years and still having major problems understanding and using it. I am still younger than Chan though.

I would think he should not get all the blame for Fitz throwing the long ball on 3rd and one when that is the read he makes (from what I hear it is his mechanics fault).

Damn Bow think you nailed it. Turns out the Chinese character for "run" (http://www.chinesesymbolsmeaning.com/chinese-symbols/r/run.gif) looks like a pass play. Fitz must have thought chan was signalling in pass when he really meant sneak ! That's one of the dangers of early implementation of this new science base system.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Not sure it is that easy to learn another language when you are an older person

Two words "Rosetta Stone". Or if that fails, is that Muffy thing still around? You know the commercials with that monster thing, who had videos that taught all those goofy looking kids a new language in the mid 90's.

Two words "Rosetta Stone". Or if that fails, is that Muffy thing still around? You know the commercials with that monster thing, who had videos that taught all those goofy looking kids a new language in the mid 90's.

No.

Muffy things aren't around anymore.

They went out sometime in the late 90s.

and what is archimedes heel? achilles ive heard of, but archimedes?

Archimedes was a heel because he was from Syracuse and he switched from being a Biils fan to a Jet fan when the Jets moved their training camp to Cortland.

I'm encouraged by the off-season moves that improved the overall talent level of the team. But with training camp about to start, we still have a problem that needs attention. In several games last season, Chan abandoned the run and relied too heavily on the passing game, especially in the second half of close games.

We have much better talent now, but if Chan can't displace his bias toward the passing game, his offensive play calling could still be our Archimedes heel. Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are very talented - - but Chan needs to let them run the ball a little more often. The play calling MUST improve for the team to maximize its potential.

In a way, Chan was a victim of his own early season offensive success. The team won some early season comeback games where Chan had no choice but to use the passing game. But as a result, Chan's play calling began to display a bias in favor of passing, even when the running game was working. It's understandable that in the pressure cooker atmosphere of a close game, with the play clock winding down, Chan's decisions would be more emotional and less deliberative. Result - - too much passing and not enough running late in close games.

The good news is that recent Nobel Prize-winning scientific research provides a solution. You make more deliberative and less emotional decisions if you think about a problem in a foreign language. Sounds strange, I know, but it's true. Here's an article entitled "Thinking In A Foreign Language Makes Decisions More Rational" - - it explains the phenomenon:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/04/language-and-bias/?utm_source=Contextly&utm_medium=RelatedLinks&utm_campaign=Interesting

Let's win with our physical talents AND our minds! If Chan doesn't already speak a foreign language, he needs to start learning one now, so that he can think about play calls in a foreign language and make better decisions when the regular season starts.

I was a dead language major and I can't tell you how clearly I think when I've been drinking and start thinking in Carthaginian.

Great Humor!

You find Nobel Prize winning research funny? I don't think they give one to comedians, but I've never been to the Sudan.

Man, I thought I was twisted, but I got nothin' on you.

and what is archimedes heel? achilles ive heard of, but archimedes?

It's when the tendons between your heel and your ankle get displaced. Wet field conditions make it more likely to happen.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I was a dead language major and I can't tell you how clearly I think when I've been drinking and start thinking in Carthaginian.

I don't believe in reincarnation. Besides, if you claim that you can't tell me how clearly you think in Carthaginian, you must be making that up, too, because the Nobel Prize-winning research predicts the exact opposite.

You find Nobel Prize winning research funny? I don't think they give one to comedians, but I've never been to the Sudan.

Man, I thought I was twisted, but I got nothin' on you.

It's when the tendons between your heel and your ankle get displaced. Wet field conditions make it more likely to happen.

are you joking? Or just being rude (sudan) and clueless (archimedes tendon). I apologize if ur joking, the sarcasm didn't make it through to me.

I'll go with Jive Talking. Since he probably knows a few words already from listening to players talk on the field.