Darryl Talley inducted to College Football Hall of Fame

Great article about Darryl Talley. Man I loved this guy when he played but reading this article I realized he may be my Favorite Bill of All Time: http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2012/07/former_shaw_high_star_darryl_t.html

"....Nehlen still remembers how Talley gave highly-rated Pittsburgh All-American quarterback Dan Marino fits. And how he once nearly decapitated Maryland quarterback Boomer Esiason on a blitz.

He blocked punts and intercepted passes. He was fast and quick and smart.

"Darryl Talley was a one-man wrecking crew," Nehlen said. "He was just all over the field, all over the field."

How great it that. He terrorized Marino in college and in the pros.

There were soooo many good players on the Bills when he played I almost forgot how talented he was. (and he seams like a great guy too.)

Congrats on the College Hall. Now he needs to be in the Pro Football Hall!!!

One of my favorite Bills of all time.

Stupid storytime;

Me and a buddy were finishing up a round of golf when I decided to go another 18 alone. Another guy walks up and asks if he can join me,so I said sure. He notices the Bills towel on my bag and asks how long I'd been a Bills fan, so I told him since I moved to Buffalo in 1989. He asks me who my favorite player was growing up and I told him a few guys, naming Darryl as one of them. He went on to say how him and Darryl were really good friends and golfed together all the time (this is in Florida).

Fast forward to Hole #2. I'm on the tee box when this guy pulls out his cell phone and starts talking on his phone. Just when I was about to ask him what the hell he was doing talking when I was trying to tee off, he looks at me and says, "here, someone wants to talk to you." It was Darryl Talley. Never felt so awkard in all my life. This was in like 03-04, so I was like 24 years old. I felt like a little kid and rambled on about how great he was and blah blah blah. He just thanked me for all the support and how he missed Buffalo and all the great people, and food.

Weaksauce I know, but it was a great moment in my life I'll likely never forget. Some of those guys on that team back then were truly great people, not just great football players. Glad to see some good things coming to them.

Stupid storytime;

Me and a buddy were finishing up a round of golf when I decided to go another 18 alone. Another guy walks up and asks if he can join me,so I said sure. He notices the Bills towel on my bag and asks how long I'd been a Bills fan, so I told him since I moved to Buffalo in 1989. He asks me who my favorite player was growing up and I told him a few guys, naming Darryl as one of them. He went on to say how him and Darryl were really good friends and golfed together all the time (this is in Florida).

Fast forward to Hole #2. I'm on the tee box when this guy pulls out his cell phone and starts talking on his phone. Just when I was about to ask him what the hell he was doing talking when I was trying to tee off, he looks at me and says, "here, someone wants to talk to you." It was Darryl Talley. Never felt so awkard in all my life. This was in like 03-04, so I was like 24 years old. I felt like a little kid and rambled on about how great he was and blah blah blah. He just thanked me for all the support and how he missed Buffalo and all the great people, and food.

Weaksauce I know, but it was a great moment in my life I'll likely never forget. Some of those guys on that team back then were truly great people, not just great football players. Glad to see some good things coming to them.

That's what I loved about Darryl Talley. He was a really good player but on top of that, he LOVED being a Buffalo Bill.

He bled blue, white, and red.

Stupid storytime;

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

No one except maybe Jimbo, defined those great teams more than Talley.

Unselfish, tough, mean, skilled, and always involved.

What I remember most about Darryl, he never sat down. When the Defense was off the field he stood on the sidlines cheering the offense. Encouraging them each play. Maybe even intimidating them.

I heard that at half time during the "Comeback" Darryl addressed the team and said if you don't think we can win this game then stay the F??? in the lockeroom.

Sometimes I think he would make a great coach. :D

Great article about Darryl Talley. Man I loved this guy when he played but reading this article I realized he may be my Favorite Bill of All Time: http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2012/07/former_shaw_high_star_darryl_t.html

"....Nehlen still remembers how Talley gave highly-rated Pittsburgh All-American quarterback Dan Marino fits. And how he once nearly decapitated Maryland quarterback Boomer Esiason on a blitz.

He blocked punts and intercepted passes. He was fast and quick and smart.

"Darryl Talley was a one-man wrecking crew," Nehlen said. "He was just all over the field, all over the field."

How great it that. He terrorized Marino in college and in the pros.

There were soooo many good players on the Bills when he played I almost forgot how talented he was. (and he seams like a great guy too.)

Congrats on the College Hall. Now he needs to be in the Pro Football Hall!!!

thanks for the info. He was tough, consistent and a great leader. He is definitely not NFL hall of fame, but deserves to be on our wall of fame and Bills fans should know the role he played in our history. Good stuff.

He is definitely not NFL hall of fame,

Sorry but I strongly disagree with this comment.

Darryl Talley is definitely my favorite player of all time, Bill and non-Bill alike. I have nothing but great memories of him, from his play on the field right up to his farewell article of his in the newspaper. Darryl Talley IS the Buffalo Bills, always has been always will be. To think that we almost lost him when that idiot Hank Bullough was the coach! Whew!

Quick story. My brother always tortured me about the Bills back in the '70s and '80s. Well one game against the Chargers he got to be on the sidelines working the oxygen tanks for the players. After the game I hammered him to tell me all about it. He went on to say that Dan Fouts was a really cool guy and tough as nails and then went on and said that #56 was one intense player and that when Talley wasn't on the field he was so amped up that players wouldn't even get too close to him because his intensity and focus was all on the game. My brother was blown away by Talley's presence and even though he still continued to break my balls about the Bills for years later he always gave respect and props to #56. He said that those 2 players were head and shoulders above all the other players of both teams. IMO the #56 jersey should be retired by the Bills.

Well, Talley is one of my all-time faves too.

It's great that he's on the team's Wall of Fame.

As written about in the last year or so, the team is very unlikely to retire any more numbers what with the ones already retired, the infinity of future history (Mayan calendar aside), and the growing roster sizes. So it's unlikely that his number will every be retired (let's just hope that Merriman does the number justice).

As far as the Pro Football HOF, no way. Talley's an all-time Bill and I love the guy… just a great player.

But he's not a Hall of Famer by any stretch.

But there's no shame in his being an all-time Bill and being on the club's Wall of Fame.

Stupid storytime;

Awesome! :thumbsup: Congrats DT! :thumbsup:

i always loved daryl talley on the field, guy was just steady as a rock. never really heard about him doing stupid stuff off the field either. i just keep thinking that we need to find a player like him for our defense now, someone with the passion for the game and the ability to bring the whole defense together. damn he was great.