Fuel for the fire, Bills lease, property tax hike

weehawk

this is the ugly side to sports teams and the way they hold counties hostage by demanding stadiums/arenas be built or renovated by tax payers even tho in most cases they are making plenty of money. "sonicsgate" is a good insight to the shady dealings of owners and how mega rich owners will demand things because the community that support that team want to keep them at all costs.

i wish the govt would say fck off and all tell the owners to take that risk and go get a loan and build it themselves.

Lots of talk about the RWS stadium renovation and the bill that has climbed past $200 million dollars. We dont know who's paying what yet, but we can be assured that the State/County will be kicking in a lot of it.

Today Mark Polancarz announced that Erie County property tax hikes are likely coming for various reasons.

So...dont bother responding if you're an apt dweller. You have no skin in this game.

If you are an Erie County homeowner, are you ok with seeing your property taxes going up AGAIN, while the State/County, etc pitches in for that $200+ stadium reno?

Note: I'm all for keeping the stadium safe and viable. I'm also more than confident that this could be done for far less than $200 million.

Keep votin' those Democrats into office. The next wave of foreclosures is coming from folks who can no longer afford their property taxes.

I find it funny how you are so quick to blame Polancarz and the democrats for the predicted budget shortfall and the possibility of a tax increase as a result. The biggest issue that has caused this budget shortfall is the deal Chris Colins made with ECMC, declaring "we are out of the hospital business". The County is now responsible to pay the hospital for any shorfall they incur. This Has resulted in an amount far exceeding the amount budgeted for any such shorfall. If Erie County was out of the hospital business as Chris Collins bragged about, the taxpayers wouldn't be in this mess. To blame the guy who just walked into office and inherited this mess is irresponsible.

I don't understand and maybe i'm wrong but why don't they use the stadium for other events to raise money..? Like concerts and other things of that nature.? Wouldn't this help pay for things like this..? I don't live up that way, I live in Falconer,NY about an hour and a half south, but seems to me the stadium could be used for more than Bills games..

this is the ugly side to sports teams and the way they hold counties hostage by demanding stadiums/arenas be built or renovated by tax payers even tho in most cases they are making plenty of money. "sonicsgate" is a good insight to the shady dealings of owners and how mega rich owners will demand things because the community that support that team want to keep them at all costs.

i wish the govt would say fck off and all tell the owners to take that risk and go get a loan and build it themselves.

If you think the Bills are behaving ugly then you haven't been passing attention. Remember the Vikings demanding an entire new $1B stadium or they split? This negotiation is a tea party.

PTR

"Apartment dwellers" have no say. That is downright hilarious. You know ... because they'll never become homeowners, or anything. Idiot.

Of course their rent reflects the cost of property taxes but many of them do not make that connection.

I agree it is a private business or it is not. If the taxpayers have to pay there should be no relocation ever. I do not want to pay a penny more in property taxes than I do now we are already in the top two or three taxed situations in the nation. The last time I looked only CT and Ma were higher. NO MORE TAXES EVER!!!