What is a Bands/Individuals Signature Song?

millbank

Stones - Satisfaction

Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

Beatles - A Day in the Life

Wings - Band on the Run

Mellencamp - Authority Song

Seger - Night Moves

Is U2 - Streets Have No Name? I think their longevity has made them the greatest band of all time, and they have so many great songs, but that's probably the signature one.

Here is an easy one:

Don McLean: American Pie

Of course, jboyst will say it is: Vincent (which BTW is an awesome tune)... He is quite the contraian!! :nana: :nana:

I agree... I am personally partial to My Old School... But not sig. I bet jboyst will say: Bodhisattva.

Just funning you jboyst! :D

What about Elvis?

Gotta be: Jailhouse Rock

No?

LOL at Bodhisattva! I would think Jailhouse would be it, too.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More ...

OPP - naughty by nature

I ran - flock of seagulls

Hungry like the wolf - Duran Duran

Picked a fine time to leave me Lucille - Kenny rodgers

Black betty - ram jam

Feels so good - chuck mangione

Songbird - Kenny g

My heart will go one - the incomparable Celine Deion

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Death/thrash/groove Metal genre :

Hammer smashed face - buffalo s own cannibal corpse

Cemetery gates - Pantera

Evil in league with Satan - venom

Sucking my love - diamond head

Puritanical - dimmu borgir

Hallowed be thy name - iron maiden

Dead skin mask - slayer

Someone nominated enter sandman for Metallica, but I'd go with "one". Better song and I believe they first music video

so far so good , bands and their signature song deciding which band or person is significant enough to think of terms of having a signature song, likely a generational thing, i being in my seventies, think back to the forties and to bring up some names and song, some of you in your late teens or twenties would be looking at and pondering who on earth are they, the same as i not so aware of many current bands in the 2000's. Thread shows to some extent, relative posters thoughts on what bands , people and what they sang as being of import. Suppose a list for instance could be made of each decade from the fifties on as the signature band and individual and their signature song. Back in the the big band era, Benny Goodman, comes to mind, then Frank Sinatra , on to Elvisi, perhaps for a while the Beach, Boy, they over whelmed by the english envasion and the Beatles, to hippie generation and jefferson, airplane and so on. Again opinions going to differ , it all fair, we all have our opinions, but eventually a consensus does emerge with more the same names and songs.... Thinking about Elvis, his first appearance on Ed Sullivan 1956 Charles Laughton introduced Elvis not Ed. , many had never seen such a person, he sang Don't Be Cruel and the Love me tender... for many this the first introduction to him these would be his signature, just as the Beatles, on Ed Sullivan first most of America had seem them sang All My Loving, the first of five songs, the last that night was I want to hold your hand. Many who seen this because of the huge impact of seeing these guys, hearing all the screaming young ladies and Ed telling the audience to cool it or he would send the Beatles to get their hair cut, one of these would be Beatles signature song. In volume hard to argue though the others mentioned....:)

Edited by millbank

Here is an easy one:

Don McLean: American Pie

Of course, jboyst will say it is: Vincent (which BTW is an awesome tune)... He is quite the contraian!! :nana: :nana:

Just funning you jboyst! :D

What about Elvis?

Gotta be: Jailhouse Rock

No?

Cannot think of Vincent without this. McClean would be American Pie, but Vincent is a great song about an amazing artist (VanGogh) and a beautiful painting which is actually my background on my computer at work.

Elvis - Houndog

Death/thrash/groove Metal genre :

Hammer smashed face - buffalo s own cannibal corpse

Cemetery gates - Pantera

Evil in league with Satan - venom

Sucking my love - diamond head

Puritanical - dimmu borgir

Hallowed be thy name - iron maiden

Dead skin mask - slayer

Someone nominated enter sandman for Metallica, but I'd go with "one". Better song and I believe they first music video

I'd have to disagree on Slayer, Maiden and Pantera (and Metallica from a previous post). Having seen each band more than a dozen times I can tell you a signature song would be something you've seen them play every time you see them, so my choices would be:

-Slayer - Angel of Death or Raining Blood

-Maiden - The Trooper

-Pantera - Walk (Cemetery Gates is popular, but really a much different song than most of their other stuff)

-Metallica - Fade to Black

I'd have to disagree on Slayer, Maiden and Pantera (and Metallica from a previous post). Having seen each band more than a dozen times I can tell you a signature song would be something you've seen them play every time you see them, so my choices would be:

-Maiden - The Trooper

-Pantera - Walk (Cemetery Gates is popular, but really a much different song than most of their other stuff)

Like EII said, it's not a popularity contest. It is a song that most people would recognize, at least I think. Therefore, Enter Sandman may be the most known rock song out there.

-Maiden - The Trooper

The Slayer song is Reign in Blood and I agree its their signature song.

-Maiden - The Trooper

Yeah I gotta agree pantera has to be walk. People may not know the bad or who sings it but most people (that listen to metal) are familiar with the riff.

so far so good , bands and their signature song deciding which band or person is significant enough to think of terms of having a signature song, likely a generational thing, i being in my seventies, think back to the forties and to bring up some names and song, some of you in your late teens or twenties would be looking at and pondering who on earth are they, the same as i not so aware of many current bands in the 2000's. Thread shows to some extent, relative posters thoughts on what bands , people and what they sang as being of import. Suppose a list for instance could be made of each decade from the fifties on as the signature band and individual and their signature song. Back in the the big band era, Benny Goodman, comes to mind, then Frank Sinatra , on to Elvisi, perhaps for a while the Beach, Boy, they over whelmed by the english envasion and the Beatles, to hippie generation and jefferson, airplane and so on. Again opinions going to differ , it all fair, we all have our opinions, but eventually a consensus does emerge with more the same names and songs.... Thinking about Elvis, his first appearance on Ed Sullivan 1956 Charles Laughton introduced Elvis not Ed. , many had never seen such a person, he sang Don't Be Cruel and the Love me tender... for many this the first introduction to him these would be his signature, just as the Beatles, on Ed Sullivan first most of America had seem them sang All My Loving, the first of five songs, the last that night was I want to hold your hand. Many who seen this because of the huge impact of seeing these guys, hearing all the screaming young ladies and Ed telling the audience to cool it or he would send the Beatles to get their hair cut, one of these would be Beatles signature song. In volume hard to argue though the others mentioned....:)

My parents were born in the 1930's. My mother absolutely adored Glen Miller... And get this: Mario Lanza.