Four Pre-Season Games .....

Owen

I don't care if the Bills lose all four pre-season games...

What I do care about is how well we play when the starters are on the field, not when all the subs of both teams are on the field.

We will get a better feel of just how good we are in the 1st quarter of the first game.

Starters are usually not kept in very long the first game by both teams.

In the second game the starters are usually in for just under a half...Now we will get a better picture of the team. In the 3rd game the starters usually play 3/4ths of a game. Now we have a much better idea of what we got. The 4th game is a joke. We are just biding time till the season starts... Jackson and Spiller will play little in all 4 games. Even the other starters will only put in a token amount of time...Fitzpatrick will only play long enough to get a feel for the game. It is how we play with the starters on the field that counts the most... It will give us a better picture of what to expect when the real bullets fly. I can't wait and I bet you can't either...

Uh-oh...sounds like it's time for the annual installment of...

PRESEASON CLICHES

#1 -- "it's irrelevant Fitz went 3-12 with a pick; they were playing totally vanilla out there"

#2 -- "did you see the way our threes dominated their twos?"

#3 -- "_________ was a beast in the 4th quarter; he's going to make the team and should be starting!"

If I remember correctly we rarely won a preseason games during the SB years.

Marv was deathly afraid of getting starters injured. In 1990 -- just before the start of the SB run -- the Bills lost their final preseason game to the Bears something like 34-0.

If I remember correctly we rarely won a preseason games during the SB years.

You are correct. Most of those seasons, the Bills were either 1-3 or 0-4 and the starters saw very little time.

Well if we do indeed have depth this year we may just win some preseason games.

Good point. If we really have built the necessary depth this year, our 2nd stringers and 3rd stringers should be able to play like starters and may be have a few wins.

Uh-oh...sounds like it's time for the annual installment of...

PRESEASON CLICHES

#1 -- "it's irrelevant Fitz went 3-12 with a pick; they were playing totally vanilla out there"

#2 -- "did you see the way our threes dominated their twos?"

#3 -- "_________ was a beast in the 4th quarter; he's going to make the team and should be starting!"

:thumbsup:

objects in preseason mirror are not as close as they appear

:thumbsup: So true ... all those future Pro-Bowlers who we saw out on the preseason gridirons who ended up being McDonald's counter people.

There are two values to the preseason ...

1. Doing a quick evaluation of your starters in a real game situation to determine what minor fixes might be needed or which players might need to be nudged back to second string.

2. Check out your second stringers. There will be 90 players at the first preseason game on each sideline. Out of those 90 currently on the Bills' roster, I can see 52 who are almost guaranteed to make the team or the PS (see below), which leaves very little room for some free agent or rookie to make the team. That is why preseason games really matter because the game situations can make it or break it especially with their special team play.

One major risk to the preseason ...

1. Injuries ... either physical or to the psyche. If someone is awful in the preseason it may do a head trip with them at the start of the season and obviously if a key player on the team gets hurt on a stupid preseason game meaningless play that can turn a season right around.

Here's my End of June prediction of players who will either be on the starting roster or the practice squad as of September 9 (Depending on the Bill's position decisions, there are a couple of wide-outs that I have not listed such as Naaman, Hagan, Aikin, Clowney or Martin who might make the team so they could be added as one additional spot not available for the rest of the 90 and likewise with offensive linemen.).

SEPTEMBER 9 on the roster or practice squad

M. Asper/C. Brown (one makes it) - M. Anderson - N. Barnett - D. Batten - R. Brooks - N. Bradham - J. Byrd - T. Carder - A. Carrington - S. Chandler - M. Darreus - D. Dickerson - M. Easley - D. Edwards - R. Fitzpatrick - S. Gilmore - C. Glenn - T.J. Graham - C. Harriston - M. Jasper - F. Jackson - S. Johnson - S. Johnson - D. Jones - C. Kelsay - A. Levitre - R. Lindell - T. McGee - C. McIntyre - L. McKelvin - S. Merriman - A. Moats - C. Moorman - K. Morrison - D. Nelson - E. Pears - S. Potter - C. Rinehart - J. Rogers - Z. Sanders - B. Scott - D. Searcy - K. Sheppard - B. Smith - CJ Spiller - T. Thigpen/V. Young - K. Urbik - A. Williams - K. Williams - M. Williams - G. Wilson and E. Wood

It is such a good feeling to realize that for once the Bills have very few holes in their roster for the opening of training camp.

I can't remember looking forward to a preseason as much as I am this year. Now I normally get excited for the start of the preseason just because actual football is back. But this year there are so many guys that I can't wait to get a look at who aren't even projected starters right now like Easley, Bradham, Carder, Graham, and Jasper that there should be more than enough to keep my mind from wandering during the second halves of the games.

I don't care if the Bills lose all four pre-season games...

What I do care about is how well we play when the starters are on the field, not when all the subs of both teams are on the field.

We will get a better feel of just how good we are in the 1st quarter of the first game.

Starters are usually not kept in very long the first game by both teams.

In the second game the starters are usually in for just under a half...Now we will get a better picture of the team. In the 3rd game the starters usually play 3/4ths of a game. Now we have a much better idea of what we got. The 4th game is a joke. We are just biding time till the season starts... Jackson and Spiller will play little in all 4 games. Even the other starters will only put in a token amount of time...Fitzpatrick will only play long enough to get a feel for the game. It is how we play with the starters on the field that counts the most... It will give us a better picture of what to expect when the real bullets fly. I can't wait and I bet you can't either...

That is TOTALLY false. You can never gauge anything in preseason. It means nothing except for the players who are trying to make the cut.

I think everyone hates the exercise of preseason games from the coaches to the players - the only one who ever likes it is the owner when the Bills are in Detroit. They should definitely go to 2 pre games

Edited by BillyBaroo

Preseason games mean nothing yet something at the same time. If you win all them, you kind of get momentum but it doesn't mean you'll be good in the upcoming season; the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 but they also went 4-0 and started off hot and made the playoffs.

How would you get momentum? It means nothing.

Preseason games mean nothing yet something at the same time. If you win all them, you kind of get momentum but it doesn't mean you'll be good in the upcoming season; the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason and 0-16 but they also went 4-0 and started off hot and made the playoffs.

Proving only that preseason means nothing -- with respect to predicting a team's W-L record.