New Era sideline caps

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused by all the flat-brim hate. So you can no longer bend the brims? I haven't bought a hat in a decade, but it seems to me like all team brims are flat initially, no?

It's fashionable to not bend brims. It started about a decade ago and has since caught on mainstream. But the flat brim is also part of the 'look at me I'm 40 going on 14' uniform, the 'it's no big whoop, I'm president of a tech start-up' fad.

I don't mind the look, I just don't think I could pull it off.

Bending brims was once a way of life, SUCH a big deal to any adolescent/pre-teen/teenage boy in the 90's. Not only is it a lost art, but a now-unappreciated one. Certainly doesn't mean one is prohibited from doing it, I just don't think hats these days are designed to compliment a perfectly rounded brim.

I'm confused by all the flat-brim hate. So you can no longer bend the brims? I haven't bought a hat in a decade, but it seems to me like all team brims are flat initially, no?

Yeah you can. I think the only reason why they started making the hats flat-brimmed initially was because more people started bending the bent-brimmed into a flat brimmed.

No reason you can't switch it around. I just think people on here are just being lazy and un-inspired :nana:

Ugh, flat brim--so trendy right now, but I'd feel like a stooge trying to pull it off, even though it wouldn't be entirely age inappropriate. Those of you north of 40, you have no business wearing a flat brim.

My dad used to do it all the time 20 or so years ago, so he was in way before the trend. Maybe I should these kids a few pictures of him. That would end the flat brim craze really quickly.

Now if only we could take care of the sticker issue. I swear they want to look like they stole the hat.

It's fashionable to not bend brims. It started about a decade ago and has since caught on mainstream. But the flat brim is also part of the 'look at me I'm 40 going on 14' uniform, the 'it's no big whoop, I'm president of a tech start-up' fad.

Bending brims was once a way of life, SUCH a big deal to any adolescent/pre-teen/teenage boy in the 90's. Not only is it a lost art, but a now-unappreciated one. Certainly doesn't mean one is prohibited from doing it, I just don't think hats these days are designed to compliment a perfectly rounded brim.

Haha, I'm aware of the flat-brim phenomenon, I was just wondering what the big deal is. I'm with you, I could never pull it off. I would just bend the brim. And all would be OK in the world.

It sucks getting old. So if kids bend their brims like I did in high school (mid 90's, and still do), the kids in high school NOW would make fun of them and say "you dress like that old guy", and point to me...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

We must be about the same age- I remember soaking the brim then rubbering banding it around a pop can and letting it sit for a day or two.

My dad used to do it all the time 20 or so years ago, so he was in way before the trend. Maybe I should these kids a few pictures of him. That would end the flat brim craze really quickly.

Now if only we could take care of the sticker issue. I swear they want to look like they stole the hat.

1) I remember it being an "old man" look, too.

2) I was at New Era HQ earlier today. Possibly the only offices I've ever been in where hats are acceptable. And yeah, the employees leave the stickers on the hats.

Oh, and (3) if any New Era employees are reading this, tell the girl in the Brooklyn Nets hat that she has a fan.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

It sucks getting old. So if kids bend their brims like I did in high school (mid 90's, and still do), the kids in high school NOW would make fun of them and say "you dress like that old guy", and point to me...

That's the vicious cycle of life.

And what's up with you're avatar. Couldn't figure out what it was than a sudden wave of nausea passed over me when I did. :sick:

Hey, don't make fun my of my girl just because she's a Steelers fan...

No, it's not that. Its cuz she's a Roethlisbergerr fan. ;)

Does ANYONE know how to make a decent hat anymore? Plain white with just the logo on the front. The fitted franchise hat had just what I described but that was about 10 years ago. I have been looking ever since I bought that to get another but it is all crap out there right now.

Best I could find.

http://www.fansedge.com/Buffalo-Bills-WhiteRoyal-New-Era-39THIRTY-Blitz-Neo-Flex-Hat-_-2044278580_PD.html

Same. And when did it become cool to leave the friggin sticker on the hat??

Leaving the sticker on the cap was meant to show that the hat was bought new and that it was not a counterfeit knockoff.

Same reason people left the tags on Timberlands and Nikes years ago.

It was a status symbol to show that you bought the gear at the mall or some real retailer and not out of a trunk full of counterfeit merchandise.

Not saying it doesn't look stupid or whatever, but that's the answer to your question. Funny thing is, the knockoffs are now manufactured with stickers/tags as well, so while the meaning is long gone, the "style" remains.

To me it's tacky, just as if you were to drive a car around with the dealer's sticker in the window so everyone can see how much you paid for it.

To me it's tacky, just as if you were to drive a car around with the dealer's sticker in the window so everyone can see how much you paid for it.

My dad says that if you pay the sticker price for a car, you don't deserve the car or your man card.

Edited by Teen Insight

Nothing drives me nuts quite like flat brimmed hats, with the stickers still on, worn barely sitting on the head and cocked in some ridiculous direction.

Edited by biglukes

Haha, I'm aware of the flat-brim phenomenon, I was just wondering what the big deal is. I'm with you, I could never pull it off. I would just bend the brim. And all would be OK in the world.

It just seems like the hats built to look crisp (flat brim, etc) would make the rounding process painstaking.

We must be about the same age- I remember soaking the brim then rubbering banding it around a pop can and letting it sit for a day or two.

I can think of no greater test of my 12 year old patience than waiting to take that damn rubber band off and rock my newly perfected brim!

Nothing drives me nuts quite like flat brimmed hats, with the stickers still on, worn barely sitting on the head and cocked in some ridiculous direction.

You must have a lot of enemies between the ages of 10-25.