Undercover reporter discovers she doesn't like to work hard

Just Jack

A huge % of kids who start college drop out; that's a huge issue facing leaders in higher education.

The 'college isn't worth it' movement is one of the most counter-productive in recent memory. Less education will not equal more success in a global economy.

That's me, college dropout after 3.5 years and changing my program three times. But I've worked my way up to a good paying job. Yea, it's not $100K plus bonuses, but it's better than the majority of people now. And I did work crap jobs, but I put my all into it, and learned everything I could, not just on my paticular responsibility, but what other people did around me. Heck, I ran two warehouses over three years by myself. Shipping, recieving, RMAs, inventory, etc. And because I was willing to do just about anything, I could step into almost any career now, except I don't have that degree.

Ex-gf is in same boat. She has been unemployed 2 years because no one in her field is hiring...anywhere, not even near here for anything similar. She is Urban Planning/GIS. The knock is that because she can't even get just a small paying job - due to overqualified - no one wants to hire someone unemployed.

So she has a degree in Urban planning and she can't get a job in rural area. Hmmm, I think I see the problem here. :D

Well considering that I graduated last year with a BA in Political Science and just recently was able to quit my job pushing carts at Walmart for something better, you might want to site some examples of your own.

I remember having friends with Poli Sci majors having significant trouble landing a job back in the '80's and early 90's when the economy was going good.

Glad you've now found something in your career field but not surprised that it took a long time to find it with the economy the way it is.

Teaching majors that refuse to leave NYS upon graduation also have difficulties finding a job even in good times.

I remember having friends with Poli Sci majors having significant trouble landing a job back in the '80's and early 90's when the economy was going good.

Glad you've now found something in your career field but not surprised that it took a long time to find it with the economy the way it is.

Teaching majors that refuse to leave NYS upon graduation also have difficulties finding a job even in good times.

Unfortunately, it's not in my career field. It's with an insurance company, but the pay is just under $16 an hour so I can at least make a living. I've hear that's pretty common though. Most college grads have a hard time getting into their chosen fields.

Unfortunately, it's not in my career field. It's with an insurance company, but the pay is just under $16 an hour so I can at least make a living. I've hear that's pretty common though. Most college grads have a hard time getting into their chosen fields.

I agree with certain posters here... Some BA degrees, you just aren't gonna find work in that field... My wife finished her Master's in English... The field was jammed in the early 1990's... Probably still is... She decided not to pursue the doctorate and branch into something that had a better chance of paying the bills, an MLIS (Library Science)... She has been an library director for sometime now... Anway, I think we get too caught up on the "follow your dream dreams" too much to see the practicality of what an occupation should really accomplish. Not saying anybody has to settle... But you have to approach the situation in a real life manner...