Grading the Buffalo Bills - 1998 Draft

Sniper

Since it’s been a few weeks since I analyzed the Buffalo Bills’ 1997 NFL Draft, here’s a link to my original post, where I explain (in painstaking detail) the format of this project. However, the format is quite simple, so I don’t believe any prerequisite reading will be necessary to follow along. Today, I will be grading and analyzing one of the largest blunders in recent Bills history: the entire 1998 NFL Draft. But before I do my best Todd McShay impression, here’s what you need to know going into that draft…

The 1998 Offseason

The Buffalo Bills’ 1997 campaign was a season of transition and change. A ‘transition season’ can often signify different outcomes and expectations, but rarely is the outcome a winning season. This was no different. The Bills went 6-10 in 1997, finishing 28th in point differential while losing six of their final seven games. The talent needed to replace the production of fading or retired future (Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith) and should-be-future (Andre Reed and Steve Tasker) Hall of Famers simply was not present on the 1997 iteration of the squad. No matter which way you sliced it, this was a team that seemed to be heading even further into the basement.

....Read more here

Discuss here what you guys think of the 1988 draft.

cowart was a home run pick. would have been like ray lewis if not for injury. linton was a decent power back. hicks was a backup, so idk about that pick. he was ok...

i would give it a c +. plus we signed flutie which might cancel out the johnson trade. but flutie was getting older so it was still a horrible trade. randy moss and eric moulds with flutie would have taken us to the superbowl! :wallbash: