Do apps suck out battery life of iphone..

bbb

bbb, Sorry to hear about your Mom. That's a tough road you're on right now. Thoughts and prayers for her recovery.

Like Steve said - the iPhone battery is way less important, but here's my anecdote. Wifey and I got iPhone 4 phones when they became available on Verizon. Mine - no complaints. Hers either till about a month ago. It suddenly would not hold a charge. We brought it back to the store, and they sent her a new iPhone 4S. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get mine to not hold a charge.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts on my mom. It definitely puts the iphone as secondary, but I do appreciate your insights on what to do.

Sounds like I have one like your wife, Nanker. It just started not holding a charge in the last few months. I bought mine I believe last August from the Verizon store. Do you think that's too long ago to get a replacement?

I may be wrong, but I don't think its so much the apps themselves being "open" that's the problem so much. But its more the apps that are constantly checking your GPS location or sending you push notifications. So, for example, having your browser always open does next to nothing to drain the battery in the background. But, having a an app like messenger or email or something continually checking and sending you a notification drains your battery much more.

Obviously, you want some of these open and notifying you... text messages for example. But having Words with Friends notify you of every move someone makes in your game will drain your battery and do you really need that always running?

I have a HTC One S and had a app called Sports Mobile. Great sports scores/news app but it drained my battery pretty fast. Got rid of it and phone was back to normal. I assume the app was continually checking the internet for info.

Do they have something like Advanced App Killer type app for iPhone?... I use that and it works great... I get about 8 hours on my Droid 4 which is a total battery hog! My wife's new iPhone 4s seems 2 run forever... Then again... I am the one that does all the stuff... Including providing WiFi to her and the daughter's iPod touch (when we are over the road).

I would try an app killer program for iPhone if you have battery issues.

Does the Droid 4 have ICS? Battery life seems significantly better with it as apposed to Froyo I had on my old phone.

Edited by Dante

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts on my mom. It definitely puts the iphone as secondary, but I do appreciate your insights on what to do.

Sounds like I have one like your wife, Nanker. It just started not holding a charge in the last few months. I bought mine I believe last August from the Verizon store. Do you think that's too long ago to get a replacement?

May all my family's prayers and thoughts go out to your mother bbb!!

I am not sure if you posted it... What are your charging habits? They say once a month let it go down all the way... Any other time you can just top off when convienent. I just recently heard, don't know how true this is, but don't let it go to a 100%. Take it off at just below... 99% or so. ??

Anyway, my last phone(s) had LiIon batteries and I would always just put it on charge when I could... Like leaving your cordless phone on the base... Those were going strong over 6 years. Same with the new phones... I just put them on charge like the cordless phones go to a base.

Maybe you just got a bad battery... Have you ever totally killed it numerous times before it started acting flaky?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Probably the most annoying thing about permanent batteries... My Droid 4 has a built-in battery and I dread the day it goes bad... But, I have a Garmin GPS (Jeep TrailGuide/Quest) for 6 years... That has a built in water tight battery and it is still going strong even after those 6 years... I do keep that constantly docked in the car... When I undock it, the battery seems great.

I would take stojan's advice and see what they say at Verizon. Report back... I will be much obliged on what Verizon says... (my Droid is through Verizon).

I'd call them or just take it to a Verizon store. They'll know by looking it up in their records. It's definitely worth a shot. Like EII said, built in batteries are a pain. But we have to deal with what we've got.

Good luck!