Fitz and the Harvard Marching Band

I gather that NFL locker rooms can be a hotbed of pranks and practical jokes. In one interview, Fitz mentioned a joke pulled on him by Gus Frerotte when they were both QB for the St Louis Rams. I had the opportunity to ask for details from someone close to the source (Frerotte, now coaching football successfully at a St Louis prep school) and thought y'all might enjoy the response:

"I would love to know if it's true that as a Ram, Gus Frerotte persuaded the locker room that Ryan Fitzpatrick had a music scholarship to Harvard and played trombone in the marching band during halftime."

"Ok, I went straight to the source on this one...

Gus told me that not only was the locker room convinced that Fitzpatrick had played trombone at Harvard, but that the entire organization was duped. A key element of convincing everyone was that Gus created a fake Christmas card from Ryan Fitzpatrick that showed him in a band uniform holding a trombone. This Christmas card was sent to everyone in the Rams corporate organization as well as the team.

The result was that people Fitzpatrick had never met were thanking him for a Christmas card that he didn't know existed. Furthermore, Gus claims to send the card out to Ryan from time to time just to remind him.

I hope that clears it up! "

[Now that's thorough. Hope y'all enjoy the break from debating the opening day roster and critiquing the lack of quality veterans at every position]

Edited by Hopeful

I'm down with this provided said trombone isn't of the rusty persuasion. :ph34r:

Before I joined this board, I thought "educational" was always a good thing. Since joining this board, I have become "educated" as to the meaning of a number of terms I really didn't need to know.

So now I say, "educational" might be a good thing...or then again, it might not. :bag:

To be clear: Fitzpatrick apparently does not play the trombone, and was never a member of the Harvard marching band.

Fitz is a smart guy.

He should learn the trombone in his spare time then show up on Frerotte's porch at about 3am, play 'lets go Buffalo."

That'd be hysterical. :w00t:

Several years ago,I attended a high school

football game. Half time came and here

comes the band...four members weren't

in band uniforms they were in their football

uniforms and each one played a different

instrument.

Several years ago,I attended a high school

football game. Half time came and here

comes the band...four members weren't

in band uniforms they were in their football

uniforms and each one played a different

instrument.

That's a great anecdote, CGF.

To me it's awesome that the kids, their parents, and their school understood that both extracurricular activities are important and should be treated as such.

I love that the value system held both music and athletics equally important.