Chris Kelsay

eball

I respect the OP a lot but starting another apologia for Chris Kelsay based on Gailey's OTA quote is a bit preposterous. Is there any NFL coach out there that would come out and say, "yeah, so and so looks pretty average" in May? No, of course not. It's all good now; everyone is 0-0 and tied for first. There's no point to beat on anyone now.

An honest quote would've been, "yeah, Kelsay looks pretty average." Because that's what he's been, his entire career. I've noted no improvement in his play in 8 years. He makes the same undisciplined mistakes he was making as a rookie. He's average at most aspects of his position, and terrible at a few others.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the OP a lot but starting another apologia for Chris Kelsay based on Gailey's OTA quote is a bit preposterous. Is there any NFL coach out there that would come out and say, "yeah, so and so looks pretty average" in May? No, of course not. It's all good now; everyone is 0-0 and tied for first. There's no point to beat on anyone now.

An honest quote would've been, "yeah, Kelsay looks pretty average." Because that's what he's been, his entire career. I've noted no improvement in his play in 8 years. He makes the same undisciplined mistakes he was making as a rookie. He's average at most aspects of his position, and terrible at a few others.

That's a honest post!

I think that throughout his career, Kelsay has been beloved by his coaches for everything he's brought to the table.

These things include dependability, work ethic, leadership through example, professionalism, etc. Keep in mind that Kelsay has twice been the recipient of contracts which we fans have believed to be inflated beyond his value on Sundays… and he was given those contracts by different regimes.

I think when his coaches speak about him, they tend to speak better of him than if they were only evaluating his play on Sundays.

Chan Gailey after day one of OTAs:

On his thoughts about DE Chris Kelsay:

"He’s a good football player. That’s the bottom line for Kelsay. He’s just a good football player. There’s going to be a three or a four man rotation in that group all year long, hopefully. Hopefully everybody stays healthy and we’ve got a great rotation going there. In my mind they’re almost all starters."

I know we've got "professional" scouts and armchair heroes of all sorts on this board, but I'll take the word of the freaking head coach. Enough already.

What a ridiculously self righteous post. What's the matter eball? Now that everyoneis thrilled with the offseason the Bills put together you are finding it hard to play TBD policeman so you have to preemptively start a crusade? Can no one on this board criticize a player for being overpaid while playing at an extraordinarily average level because we aren't scouts? Or does your edict just apply to Kelsay?

Eball, why don't you put together a list of players that can't be criticized... wait, are you qualified to put that list together? Do you have a scouting background? See how that works?

I think that throughout his career, Kelsay has been beloved by his coaches for everything he's brought to the table.

These things include dependability, work ethic, leadership through example, professionalism, etc. Keep in mind that Kelsay has twice been the recipient of contracts which we fans have believed to be inflated beyond his value on Sundays… and he was given those contracts by different regimes.

I think when his coaches speak about him, they tend to speak better of him than if they were only evaluating his play on Sundays.

No they're taking about his play on Sunday. HE'S A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. Not great, not bad, in between which is good. Tough, physical, doesn't miss many tackles, can put some heat on the QB, good quickness, doesn't get caught out of position, plays hard for entire 60 mins. (while playing his rightful position of DE) There's no evidence his status has been justified by what he does off field and in the locker room. Thats just more of this stereotype of the white player as lacking athletically and having to make it up in other ways. Doesn't apply here.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

What a ridiculously self righteous post. What's the matter eball? Now that everyoneis thrilled with the offseason the Bills put together you are finding it hard to play TBD policeman so you have to preemptively start a crusade? Can no one on this board criticize a player for being overpaid while playing at an extraordinarily average level because we aren't scouts? Or does your edict just apply to Kelsay?

Eball, why don't you put together a list of players that can't be criticized... wait, are you qualified to put that list together? Do you have a scouting background? See how that works?

Waaah. Perhaps I'm just frustrated by the continual bashing of a player who doesn't deserve it, and when the actual people evaluating that player publicly support him, I thought it might be relevant. Feeling better about laying down an internet tongue-lashing?

Great screen name, by the way -- Fletch is one of my all time favorites. There was a day I could recite almost the entire movie, word for word.

No they're taking about his play on Sunday. HE'S A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. Not great, not bad, in between which is good. Tough, physical, doesn't miss many tackles, can put some heat on the QB, doesn't get caught out of position, plays hard for entire 60 mins. (while playing his rightful position of DE) There's no evidence his status has been justified by what he does off field and in the locker room. Thats just more of this stereotype of the white player as lacking athletically and having to make it up in other ways. Doesn't apply here.

Sorry, the bolded made me laugh. He's been caught out of position plenty, particularly when asked to play in coverage, and does make mistakes. OTOH, he has made some good plays too.

Sorry, the bolded made me laugh. He's been caught out of position plenty, particularly when asked to play in coverage, and does make mistakes. OTOH, he has made some good plays too.

Yeah @ OLB he was out of position a lot because he was a fish out of water. But that's on chan & co for putting him there.

Yeah @ OLB he was out of position a lot because he was a fish out of water. But that's on chan & co for putting him there.

Totally. Edwards' 5-2 defense in a passing league was a recipe for failure from the very beginning.

Like someone else posted in this thread, Kelsay isn't physically dominant at DE and can be taken out of plays at that position. He doesn't lose every battle on every down. Bottom line is the Bills were happy enough with him as a starter going forward to pull out ALL the stops and go after Mario Williams.

I feel the same about this as the Tebow thing. its not enough to have your own opinion, but some one is going to pigeon hole you to one extreme or another. Kelsay is a GOOD ball player. he is not Bruce Smith. NOBODY thinks he is. But, the people who have been trying to run him out a town will take your argument into the extreme. Then say "well it was your words!!!" enough. Once the Bills go back to having him set the edge, and rush the passer... instead of covering TE's he'll be fine.

Waaah. Perhaps I'm just frustrated by the continual bashing of a player who doesn't deserve it, and when the actual people evaluating that player publicly support him, I thought it might be relevant. Feeling better about laying down an internet tongue-lashing?

Who laid down the internet tongue lashing? You started a post lecturing TBD about their opinions regarding Kelsay and ended with an "enough already".

Kelsay deserves all the crap he gets. He was obviously playing out of position the last couple of years but he's also made a career out of getting engulfed by offensive tackles before that. Gailey's opinion shouldn't change anyone's opinion.

Who laid down the internet tongue lashing? You started a post lecturing TBD about their opinions regarding Kelsay and ended with an "enough already".

Kelsay deserves all the crap he gets. He was obviously playing out of position the last couple of years but he's also made a career out of getting engulfed by offensive tackles before that. Gailey's opinion shouldn't change anyone's opinion.

Well, I see you're not one to be reasoned with. Duly noted. Good day sir.

The question mark I put on every player in the NFL is money. I question if they deserve the money their repsective team pays them; with that being said you can probably see where this is going. While Ck has been starter many times during his career, does his play deserve starter money. CK has had many great games as he has had some many not so great. 2 great games come to mind, last season against Denver and the Monday night game against NE. To me I have always seen CK as what should be a servicable backup because there has never been a clear definite starter for the LDE position, now there is. While CK has always done all that has been asked and I am sure a great influence and has kept his mouth shut I personally just don't see paying or have paid him the money he gets; but, I don't see him as a player I would cut. Good while not great, I see the difference. If you want to know Gm or coaches thoughts on players listen too the words they say on them while trying to take in the whole conversation. He is good, mario is great. CK is a servicable rotational DE who in my opinion is over payed.

The question mark I put on every player in the NFL is money. I question if they deserve the money their repsective team pays them; with that being said you can probably see where this is going. While Ck has been starter many times during his career, does his play deserve starter money. CK has had many great games as he has had some many not so great. 2 great games come to mind, last season against Denver and the Monday night game against NE. To me I have always seen CK as what should be a servicable backup because there has never been a clear definite starter for the LDE position, now there is. While CK has always done all that has been asked and I am sure a great influence and has kept his mouth shut I personally just don't see paying or have paid him the money he gets; but, I don't see him as a player I would cut. Good while not great, I see the difference. If you want to know Gm or coaches thoughts on players listen too the words they say on them while trying to take in the whole conversation. He is good, mario is great. CK is a servicable rotational DE who in my opinion is over payed.

Kelsay will make 2M this season. Is that overpayment for a "serviceable rotational DE" who is a leader in the locker room and respected by, it seems, just about everyone aside from some vocal Bills fans?

Well, I see you're not one to be reasoned with. Duly noted. Good day sir.

Nice come back. He just can't be reasoned with because he pointed out the futility of your OP.

As JC says--you built this scolding missive of a thread around a completely lukewarm endorsement by Chan of Kelsay. When pressed, all he could come up with was he's "just" "good" and "almost" a starter. Well, OK....

Look, I had a good BM this morning. That's the bottom line. It was just a good BM.

I won't start a thread about it, just to rub other posters' faces in it.

Nice come back. He just can't be reasoned with because he pointed out the futility of your OP.

As JC says--you built this scolding missive of a thread around a completely lukewarm endorsement by Chan of Kelsay. When pressed, all he could come up with was he's "just" "good" and "almost" a starter. Well, OK....

Look, I had a good BM this morning. That's the bottom line. It was just a good BM.

I won't start a thread about it, just to rub other posters' faces in it.

It is embarrassing to read the number of posts on this board that have relentlessly attacked Chris Kelsay. Embarrassing. And yes, I'm fed up with it, so I started this thread after hearing the Bills' head coach acknowledge Kelsay is a good football player whom he considers among his starting rotation at DE. Was that really a problem for you and others?

Not ONE of the "I know better because I watch him play on TV" crowd can point to a single person in the NFL "business" (media, players, coaches) who has characterized Kelsay as anything other than a good, solid player. THAT is my point.

Kelsay--over his carreer, has been an average player on below average defenses. Can he now become an above average veteran on a newly stacked defense? I say Yes.

It is embarrassing to read the number of posts on this board that have relentlessly attacked Chris Kelsay. Embarrassing. And yes, I'm fed up with it, so I started this thread after hearing the Bills' head coach acknowledge Kelsay is a good football player whom he considers among his starting rotation at DE. Was that really a problem for you and others?

Not ONE of the "I know better because I watch him play on TV" crowd can point to a single person in the NFL "business" (media, players, coaches) who has characterized Kelsay as anything other than a good, solid player. THAT is my point.

So are you a scout (you knew he was good) or is this an "I told you so" thread?

Most coaches are going say what Gailey said when asked about a player on their current roster. Actually, I don't remember too many coaches in any sport saying that a guy on their current roster wasn't "good" in preseason/OTA's.

Seriously, is Kelsay your neighbor or do you have some kind of Dog1487 obsession with him?

So are you a scout (you knew he was good) or is this an "I told you so" thread?

Most coaches are going say what Gailey said when asked about a player on their current roster. Actually, I don't remember too many coaches in any sport saying that a guy on their current roster wasn't "good" in preseason/OTA's.

Seriously, is Kelsay your neighbor or do you have some kind of Dog1487 obsession with him?

Can you read? Again, point me to ANYONE in the professional football business who claims Kelsay shouldn't be on an NFL roster. My post was a "shut up already" to the crowd who continually call Kelsay a piece of $chitt. They're idiots.

I have an unhealthy obsession with the Buffalo Bills, I'll freely admit. Beyond that, the players can come and go -- I'm rooting for the laundry. But sometimes people go too far.