Question about NFL Roster Rules

I've wondered for awhile this and I'm sure there is a very good reason for it, as GM's, coaches, and personnel guys are always looking for loopholes, but say Mario Williams suffers a dislocated shoulder or torn labium, something serious where they will miss some significant time but not a slam dunk season ender like ACL/MCL tear. It's the 3rd preseason game. What a team would be most likely to do is bite the bullet and leave him counted as one of the 53, and ride it out kinda like when Poz broke his arm a couple years ago, and was out for probably 6 weeks but never went on IR. The other option is to put him on the IR and lose him for the year.

My question, and point (yeah I actually have one) is why would a team EVER put a player who is injured in the preseason and might be out significant time, if they can just place the player on the PUP list and have them sit until regular season week 6 and not take up any spot on the 53 man roster, re-evaluate him for 2 weeks since he can't play until week 8, and if a no-go, THEN IR him?

It would seem smarter to do this, and then the players injured in weeks 1-6, when you have no other real options for a seriously injured player, you would have to IR those players, but know that you may have a second wave of rehabbing players to be hitting the roster mid-season. For example, Mario has his injury I gave as the scenario earlier, which probably leaves a combo of Kelsey, Merriman, and one of either Batton/Moats/the kid from USC who was a late pickup last year and played extensively last game... Moore was it? So your second string guy, Kelsey now takes over but week 5 breaks his ankle, done for the year. Now your on to your 3rd string guy as your last hope for the bulk of the season, to put on any pressure to the qb. Especially with injury prone Merriman as that option, you could very easily be down to #4 on the depth chart in a hurry, than we have Moats/Batton as our pass rushers, for the same results as last year. HOWEVER, if you had just put Mario on PUP, we get him back in about 3 weeks, for a playoff push, instead of losing him for good.

Why don't teams ALWAYS do this, in the off chance that player heals quickly or they suffer more significant losses at a position than anticipated, they at least aren't screwed from then on?

I know a few years ago I remember someone starting off on PUP and working their way back onto the roster, but this is very rarely utilized. Don't even remember who that was, Bryan Scott perhaps?

Point #3 is interesting and related to this discussion (and a long overdue change)......

The owners gathered in Atlanta for their quarterly meetings are expected to take up a host of items that were tabled in March.

They are, as MDS listed them at the time they were tabled:  (1) an extension of the trade deadline from the Tuesday after Week Six to the Tuesday after Week Eight; (2) shifting the final roster cuts from the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend to Friday, given that the first game of the regular season has been moved from the Thursday after Labor Day to Wednesday; (3) the creation of an injured reserve exemption that allows a player to return that same year after missing at least six weeks of practice and eight weeks of games; and (4) one roster exemption per team per week for a player who has a concussion.

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/tabled-rules-changes-on-the-docket-for-owners-meeting/