Young & Smith in the Wilcat with Jackson.

Adding Young means that opposing teams will need to prepare for his great athetic skills, especially if the Bills use him in the Wildcat with both B. Smith and F. Jackson on the field.

QB Coach Mark Lee invented the Wildcat and I'm sure he's going to dream up some surprise plays for oppsing teams to have to deal with now that he has athletes like Young, Smith, and Jackson to work with.

Last year Gailey use Smith on a lot of third and short plays to get the all-important first down. Don't be surprised to see both Young and Smith come in together in similar situations to help us move the chains.

Young is just too good of an athlete to have hold a clipboard all game long.

Knowing that Gailey likes to use the Wildcat and now has Lee to help him scheme you just know that Young and Smith are going to see their fair share of the field.

It's obvious to me that the Bills picked up Young to use in the Wildcat as well as be a veteran backup QB to Fitz. He is far more skilled than Thigpen, whose days are numbered as a Bill.

I fully expect the Bills to keep Fitz/Young/Smith at QB and then possibly Tanney or Corp as their developmental QB.

It's a big improvement at that position when compared to last year.

We really need to keep Fitz healthy for the entire season to truly see how good he can be. I'd like to see the Bills acquire a big WR (Burress) and a good receiving TE (Shiancoe) to help Fitz really stand out this year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding Young means that opposing teams will need to prepare for his great athetic skills, especially if the Bills use him in the Wildcat with both B. Smith and F. Jackson on the field.

QB Coach Mark Lee invented the Wildcat and I'm sure he's going to dream up some surprise plays for oppsing teams to have to deal with now that he has athletes like Young, Smith, and Jackson to work with.

Last year Gailey use Smith on a lot of third and short plays to get the all-important first down. Don't be surprised to see both Young and Smith come in together in similar situations to help us move the chains.

Knowing that Gailey likes to use the Wildcat and now has Lee to help him scheme you just know that Young and Smith are going to see their fair share of the field.

It's obvious to me that the Bills picked up Young to use in the Wildcat as well as be a veteran backup QB to Fitz. He is far more skilled than Thigpen, whose days are numbered as a Bill.

I fully expect the Bills to keep Fitz/Young/Smith at QB and then possibly Tanney or Corp as their developmental QB.

We really need to keep Fitz healthy for the entire season to truly see how good he can be. I'd like to see the Bills acquire a big WR (Burress) and a good receiving TE (Shiancoe) to help Fitz really stand out this year.

It will be very interesting to watch, however wasn't the wild-scat more of a gimmic run by Dophins mostly?

I would love to see it work, just didn't seem to much for Bills and Gailey.

It will be very interesting to watch, however wasn't the wild-scat more of a gimmic run by Dophins mostly?

I would love to see it work, just didn't seem to much for Bills and Gailey.

The next evolution of the "Wildcat," and something the Dols were trying to do with Pat White, was to have a QB who was both a running and passing threat. Smith isn't one, but Young is.

I am not aware of V Young ever running the over hyped wildcat. When did Young run a wildcat?

I'm all for that. Last season, Smith missed a few big play passing opportunities from the wildcat simply because he isn't a very good passer. Not that VY is the most accurate but I'd like to think he's more accurate than Smith.

GO BILLS!!!

The next evolution of the "Wildcat," and something the Dols were trying to do with Pat White, was to have a QB who was both a running and passing threat. Smith isn't one, but Young is.

VY would seem better suited to run the Wildcat, however he also has accuracy issues in the passing game. Sub - 60 %.

http://www.nfl.com/player/vinceyoung/2506875/profile

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see it, just not a great passer.

What people forget is that Young can throw the ball. He is unorthodox as a passer but he is an accurate passer. He has a dart throwing style and is more effective on the move than as a pocket passer. There is little doubt that he is not very proficient reading defenses. But so what. His style of quarterbacking is more improvisational than the conventional read and react type of approach.

Last year after Fitz got hurt in the Skins game and when the team went into a second half swoon the coaching staff resisted putting in Thigpen. It was very apparent that Chan had little confidence in him as a backup. Hopefully, that situation has changed. I'm very happy with him on the roster. Nix deserves credit for continuing to work to upgrade the roster at all the positions.

Edited by JohnC

What people forget is that Young can throw the ball. He is unorthodox as a passer but he is an accurate passer. He has a dart throwing type of throwing style who is more effective on the move than as a pocket passer. There is little doubt that he is not very proficient reading defenses. But so what. His style of quarterbacking is more improvisational than the read and react type of approach.

Last year after Fitz got hurt in the Skins game and when the team went into a second half swoon the coaching staff resisted putting in Thigpen. It was very apparent that Chan had little confidence in him as a backup. Hopefully, that situation has changed. I'm very happy with him on the roster. Nix deserves credit for continuing to work to upgrade the roster at all the positions.

The so what is that you can't make a consistent living being that kind of QB in the NFL. Sooner or later, you have to rely on your ability to read a defense and take what it's giving you. A game or two here and there, especially if he comes in as a sub, then yeah, defenses will give up some plays to him. But once he's the one they game plan for, he gets shut down when teams DARE him to beat them by passing the ball.

GO BILLS!!!

weaksauce

vy is a physical specimen with documented ability to run consistently and effectively. im not saying they should use him this way but to compare his ability in that area to fitz is just silly

im not a vy fan, dont think he even makes the team, but if he did and chan wanted to use him in a slash/wc/whatever mode then that would be fine with me as it seems to have potential. using fitz in that role hahahahaaaaa ok enough of that

weaksauce

vy is a physical specimen with documented ability to run consistently and effectively. im not saying they should use him this way but to compare his ability in that area to fitz is just silly

im not a vy fan, dont think he even makes the team, but if he did and chan wanted to use him in a slash/wc/whatever mode then that would be fine with me as it seems to have potential. using fitz in that role hahahahaaaaa ok enough of that

V. Young will make the team. Silly is people speculating that the gimmick wildcat is a every game offensive threat. It is not. At least since the Dolphins brought it out and then several teams followed suit. It's a gimmick now and sometimes even a joke. Good well balanced teams have zero use for it in the NFL.

I am not aware of V Young ever running the over hyped wildcat. When did Young run a wildcat?

Do you need a PhD to run the Wildcat?

VY would seem better suited to run the Wildcat, however he also has accuracy issues in the passing game. Sub - 60 %.

http://www.nfl.com/player/vinceyoung/2506875/profile

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see it, just not a great passer.

True he's not a great passer. But he's good enough that teams would have to respect his ability to make a play in the passing game.

Well then why doesnt Fitz run the wildcat? Does it mean he can't?

How about fred running the wildcat? Since were just throwing names out there?

Fitz isn't a good enough runner and Freddie isn't a good enough passer.

V. Young will make the team. Silly is people speculating that the gimmick wildcat is a every game offensive threat. It is not. At least since the Dolphins brought it out and then several teams followed suit. It's a gimmick now and sometimes even a joke. Good well balanced teams have zero use for it in the NFL.

It most definitely is an every game offensive threat. Or more precisely, it can be an every game offensive threat. Frankly they used too little of it last year.

It most definitely is an every game offensive threat. Or more precisely, it can be an every game offensive threat. Frankly they used too little of it last year.

I wonder why they the pro coaching staff used too little of it last year?

BTW the fitz & Fred comments was called sarcasm. Based on Young and how people believe he will be good at the wildcat although he has never ran one.

Edited by Best Player Available

I wonder why they the pro coaching staff used too little of it last year?

BTW the fitz & Fred comments was called sarcasm. Based on Young and how people believe he will be good at the wildcat although he has never ran one.

I don't know why they used so little of it last year. I also don't know why they abandoned the run so much last year. Doesn't mean either was the correct decision.

As for the sarcasm, sure it was. But again, do you think you need to be a PhD to run the Wildcat?

I don't know why they used so little of it last year. I also don't know why they abandoned the run so much last year. Doesn't mean either was the correct decision.

As for the sarcasm, sure it was. But again, do you think you need to be a PhD to run the Wildcat?

My point in this argument is this. We have a good to very good 1-2 punch at running back, and I believe we still have a under used fullback. 3rd and three? Pound it in with one of those guys.Why all the talk on a wildcat when the defenses have now been preparing for it since the dolphins used it. Since then it has been used to minimal effect, not unlike a gimmick. A double reverse has a better chance of success IMO. Correct me but isn't our multi million dollar wildcat quarterback responsible for only three first downs last year? if I am wrong its not by much. So why would we bring in vince young, because he has the potential to run a gimmick formation a couple of times a game? I'm confident they brought him in as a very viable backup, a guy who can win in the NFL. He's done it. I am excited about Smith and will be even happier with thigpen gone.It gives the team a chance to win.

As for the under usage of our run game, I agree on that. The wildcat with B Smith, I had/have very little confidence in that guy, aside from one nice td play. Smith as a wide receiver keeps us very week at the position, just my opinion. No team would trade for him, he is outrageously overpaid.

While VY never ran the Wildcat, he ran a double option offense out of a spread formation while he was at Texas.

In principle, the premise is the same as the Wildcat: read the DE then decide to hand off to the RB running in that direction (where the blocking is focused), or keep it and run towards the other side of the field. However, you don't run the QB read every play in the double option. There are also designed throws and draws/counters/tosses.

I'm gonna go ahead and defer to Chan and David Lee and let them figure it out. I'm sure they'll be able to cook something up that utilizes some combination of Young, Smith, Fred, and CJ.

Of course the Bills have schemes cooked up for VY. Besides, a $2M contract with another $1M in bonuses isn't for someone to hold the clipboard.

I'd like to see Fitz and VY as 1 & 2... and Tanney, as a worthy prospect, being groomed as #3. As the articles have stated, he's not just a trick-throw guy. He has the tools, he can play.... If he's worthy during preseason, dump Thigpen.

My point in this argument is this. We have a good to very good 1-2 punch at running back, and I believe we still have a under used fullback. 3rd and three? Pound it in with one of those guys.

The Bills were frequently stuffed in short yardage situations running out of a traditional two back set. In the first Jets game alone I believe Fred was stopped 3 times (at least) trying to convert short yardage situations, one of which was a fourth and inches.

I know everyone was mad at the long throws on 3rd and short throughout the year - but it was because Defenses would stack the box and dare Fitz to throw. Say what you want about Fitz, but I want my QB to have the confidence to accept that challenge. Of course it'd be nice to have the arm/accuracy to make them pay with more consistency. And it wouldn't hurt if Donald Jones could've reeled a couple of those in too!

It looks like the o line will be better this year and this won't be as much of an issue, thank goodness.