What type offense - name or style - is Buffalo considered

San-O

I am not sure what the "term" used for the Chan offense is, other than the spread offense?

o Throw first and often?

Understand it is a passing league, however Gailey passed the ball too much for my liking, particularly when the passing game

seemed not to work, and the running game did. Fred averaged 5.5 YPC I believe.

D coordinators seemed to figure the offense out before mid season, and Gailey didn't seem to make any adjustments, even when

QB Fitz had injured ribs, so we are led to believe. Not sure about that. Seems odd. :unsure:

FWIW: I can see the defense really be much improved, 15 - 10 range maybe even, however if Gailey goes into season with same

offense and tendencies, I can see the offense finishing 20 - 25, and being a problem. When your O coordinator isn't getting it done,

do you replace him when he's also the head coach?

:huh:

Edited by SoCal-Surf

They like the shotgun when they're in their end of the field. They have great confidence with Chandler or Jackson to block a db/lb coming in. Jackson catching screens out of that formation is killer. Shotgun formation is the way they'll go most of the time.

They like the shotgun when they're in their end of the field. They have great confidence with Chandler or Jackson to block a db/lb coming in. Jackson catching screens out of that formation is killer. Shotgun formation is the way they'll go most of the time.

OK. sounds right.

I love Freddy catching the ball. Chan needs to get him the ball more. Run Freddy run. :thumbsup:

I am not sure what the "term" used for the Chan offense is, other than the spread offense?

o Throw first and often?

Understand it is a passing league, however Gailey passed the ball too much for my liking, particularly when the passing game

seemed not to work, and the running game did. Fred averaged 5.5 YPC I believe.

D coordinators seemed to figure the offense out before mid season, and Gailey didn't seem to make any adjustments, even when

QB Fitz had injured ribs, so we are led to believe. Not sure about that. Seems odd. :unsure:

FWIW: I can see the defense really be much improved, 15 - 10 range maybe even, however if Gailey goes into season with same

offense and tendencies, I can see the offense finishing 20 - 25, and being a problem. When your O coordinator isn't getting it done,

do you replace him when he's also the head coach?

:huh:

I couldn't find it online but Pro Football Weekly's draft guide said we ran a power run vertical stretch a with zone blocking scheme. I too would like to see more running as the playoffs showed Powerfootball is still the way to go, even though Giants threw more than usual it is not their style but was a necessity due to the RBs being sporadic.

I think its hard for a HC to OC as well but I hope Chan is more balanced this and doesn't get pass crazy especially since we don't have Brady or Rodgers.

If I had my choice I would grab one of the offensive coaches from the 49ers like Tom Rathman whose philosophy is precision passing (west coast) and power man blocking. More than the scheme it's the attitude of physical domination and use of the FB & TE that translates to wins versus a zone spread attack.

fitz coast offense

He does spray it around. Likes Stevie outside the hashes. Doesn't care one bit if there's double coverage. He should care even less this year with the defense bolstered as it is. Throw a pick? No matter, just have to put Mario, Kyle Williams and Dareus out there to wreak havoc.

Off topic a little bit but some did mention it in this post. I too thought Chan ran tooamy passing plays especially when we were so beat up after mid season. Even Spiller had over a 5.0 yard average on the year and anyone that watched him last year can realize that hes got the potential talent to tale take it to the house on every play. I won't turn this into a Freddy VS Spiller thread. I'm a bigger fan of going with the youth movement almost every time but I will never complain about Freddy. The guy is money.

I will complain about the pass first offense. I know all the talk about how it's a passing league now and the times of the franchise QBs have ruled all. Blah, blah, blah. I can say without a doubt in my mind that we would have won the Giants game, Bengals game, Miami game and Tennessee game if we would have just ran the ball in the 2nd half and killed the clock.

With regards to everyones thoughts on the NFL changing to a passing league I have to point out that the Giants were a better defensive team and New England was a better offensive team and the Giants won. But I won't get into the defense over offense debate either with this post.

Earlier in a post someone commented about how in the playoffs it became powerfootball. I find that this might make a ton of sense. Why did the Sabres lose in the playoffs during thier Pres. Trophy year? What are so many peoples opinions about the Sabres almost every year? "we will male the playoffs but were not big enough, physical enough, or built for true playoff hockey" I hear it all the time. I feel this holds very true with the NFL also. You can be a dominant offense, built like the greatest show on turf but in the end, in the playoffs and eventually the Superbowl the bigger more physical team wins the games. When the weather gets nasty and the ball can't be thrown with ease in the winter months and especially January you have to make your money running the ball to extend your season.

I think and I really hope that Nix and Gailey believe in this (Chan worriese a little) and have built a team, especially in the trenches to win these battles. Williams, Anderson, Dareus, Glenn, Sanders, Hairston can all show that we are looking like a big boys team for the first time in the last 10 years. Let's just hope they font give up on the run too early and expect Fitz to play like someone named Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Brees.

Off topic a little bit but some did mention it in this post. I too thought Chan ran tooamy passing plays especially when we were so beat up after mid season. Even Spiller had over a 5.0 yard average on the year and anyone that watched him last year can realize that hes got the potential talent to tale take it to the house on every play. I won't turn this into a Freddy VS Spiller thread. I'm a bigger fan of going with the youth movement almost every time but I will never complain about Freddy. The guy is money.

I will complain about the pass first offense. I know all the talk about how it's a passing league now and the times of the franchise QBs have ruled all. Blah, blah, blah. I can say without a doubt in my mind that we would have won the Giants game, Bengals game, Miami game and Tennessee game if we would have just ran the ball in the 2nd half and killed the clock.

With regards to everyones thoughts on the NFL changing to a passing league I have to point out that the Giants were a better defensive team and New England was a better offensive team and the Giants won. But I won't get into the defense over offense debate either with this post.

Earlier in a post someone commented about how in the playoffs it became powerfootball. I find that this might make a ton of sense. Why did the Sabres lose in the playoffs during thier Pres. Trophy year? What are so many peoples opinions about the Sabres almost every year? "we will male the playoffs but were not big enough, physical enough, or built for true playoff hockey" I hear it all the time. I feel this holds very true with the NFL also. You can be a dominant offense, built like the greatest show on turf but in the end, in the playoffs and eventually the Superbowl the bigger more physical team wins the games. When the weather gets nasty and the ball can't be thrown with ease in the winter months and especially January you have to make your money running the ball to extend your season. I think and I really hope that Nix and Gailey believe in this (Chan worriese a little) and have built a team, especially in the trenches to win these battles. Williams, Anderson, Dareus, Glenn, Sanders, Hairston can all show that we are looking like a big boys team for the first time in the last 10 years. Let's just hope they font give up on the run too early and expect Fitz to play like someone named Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Brees.

+ 1

Awesome.

:thumbsup:

The Bills (Gailey) had better figure this out early, or he should be gone. Period.

I would call it "Chan Gailey's Buffalo Bills offense" - and marvel at its devastating, rapid, high-scoring efficiency - as analysts struggle with what to call it, opposing DC's scramble to find a way to stop it, and opposing HCs & OCs slowly being copying its key elements in future seasons...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to win every game...I expect to be undefeated." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

post-2970-047023700 1336869377_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

The Titans we're much better than Buffalo on that day. I see your point but Buffalo didn't have the players on that day to defend their offense.

The fact that we were not as good as them that day or not, the Bills and Spiller were tearing them up in the first half and if it continued it SHOULD have been a different outcome. You could say this about the 2nd Pats game and the 2nd Jets game as well if you really believe in this philosophy. I couldn't tell you how many games in the last 2 years alone we've lost games because of this but I know it's quite a bit.

Like I said, I just hope we gave up on it and passed more due to injuries or something along those lines because from what I saw there's no reason why we shouldn't have kept running the ball later in the year.

The Titans we're much better than Buffalo on that day. I see your point but Buffalo didn't have the players on that day to defend their offense.

And this is more of a point to have continued to run the ball. If they didn't have the defenders to stop thier offense, we should have tried to keep thier offense off the field. Bill Parcells and Bill Belichecks defensive gameplan against us in the first Superbowl are proof to how that works.