The world is ending this year, I'm convinced

If everyone is saying that Buffalo could be a "surprise", then how are they a surprise?

It's pretty much settled at this point that the media expects Buffalo to be competitive this year. Hopefully we can live up to expectations for once.

Agreed.

You don't sign the top free agent on the market with the hopes of "surprising" some folks with a 9-7 season. The front office is expecting this team to make the playoffs this year.

Anything less than the playoffs will be a bad year.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills won't catch anyone by surprise this year. They did enough during the 5-2 start last year to open everyone's eyes, and I honestly can't remember a team so efficiently and effectively filling nearly every hole as the Bills have done this offseason. I believe if most of us had put together a "wish list" for the Bills at the conclusion of last season, it would have looked something like this (caveat -- this presumes you are comfortable with a healthy Fitz as the starting QB):

Replace George Edwards -- Check (Wanny)

Re-sign key free agents -- Check (Stevie, Urbik, Rinehart, Lindell, Chandler, Morrison)

Fix a non-existent pass rush -- Check (Williams, Anderson)

Plan for the decline of McGee/Florence -- Check (Gilmore, Brooks)

Add depth/competition at LB -- Check (Bradham, Tank)

Upgrade LT through draft or FA -- In process (Glenn, Sanders)

Add depth across the OL -- Check (players brought in are versatile)

Find a legitimate #2 WR -- In process (Easley, Jones, Graham are candidates)

Upgrade the backup QB position -- Question mark (did Thigpen suffer b/c of lockout?)

A very good analysis! The only thing that I'm still worried about is the backup QB situation. I don't by Thigpen being hurt by the lockout given that he should be familiar with Chan's offense. Also, the fact that Chan played an injured Fitz over Thigpen is disturbing. I'd feel much better if we had a competent backup QB who could play a few games if needed. QB's get injured too often, and the whole season could fall apart if he gets injured. Although, you never know if someone would be available mid season like Palmar was last year.

That's some damn fine work by the Bills front office.

I'm predicting 13-3 or 12-4 . You heard it here first. And I'm not the overly optimistic type. Only caveat is an injury to Fitz.

I'm 52 and beginning to contemplate my own mortality. And the biggest thought plaguing me is this: Will I ever see the Bills win a Super Bowl?

My dad is 92 and still kicking and his dad and grandpa both also reached their 90s. So I might have 40 years left - if the world doesn't end later in 2012.

The chance of any NFL club winning in any given year is 1 in 32. Probability suggests - barring the Mayans - I'll get to experience one SB win before I die. Then again, probability also suggests that the Bills would have won one SB by now and they haven't. We're defying the odds, and not in a good way.

Death without a Super Bowl is a frightening prospect.

Edited by hondo in seattle

The Bills will be 12-0 en route to a perfect season when the millenarian lunatics prove right and the world abruptly ends, thus squashing our hopes for finally winning a Super Bowl.

If the end of the world means I never have to hear/see/read Kiper again -- Bring it on.

BA

I'm predicting 13-3 or 12-4 . You heard it here first. And I'm not the overly optimistic type. Only caveat is an injury to Fitz.

I went on the record at 11-5 after the schedule was "leaked." I think this team will even surprise those who think the Bills will be a surprise.

I think the season will turn on Fitz's play, and how the offensive line performs. I would think and expect (again) a 9 or 10 win season. We were crippled with a slew of injuries last year and lacked depth in a number of areas. I think we will be very competitive in AFC East, but New England is (as always in recent history) the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

I'm 52 and beginning to contemplate my own mortality. And the biggest thought plaguing me is this: Will I ever see the Bills win a Super Bowl?

My dad is 92 and still kicking and his dad and grandpa both also reached their 90s. So I might have 40 years left - if the world doesn't end later in 2012.

The chance of any NFL club winning in any given year is 1 in 32. Probability suggests - barring the Mayans - I'll get to experience one SB win before I die. Then again, probability also suggests that the Bills would have won one SB by now and they haven't. We're defying the odds, and not in a good way.

Death without a Super Bowl is a frightening prospect.

I hear you loud and clear... I'm 23 and have the same fear. My father is 60 and my grandfather is 90 and I'm really hoping my gpa gets to see one before he goes. He's been waiting way too long to go out without seeing the bills win the superbowl.

Edited by Billsrhody

If the Bills can stay injury free for the most part they can go 10-6. but Freddy Jackson has to make it all the way injury free , or at least not miss more than a few games for us to make the playoffs.

The D will be much improved with Winny running the show. He has to be better than Edwards.

They got to almost win out at home to have a legit chance tho.