SelmonSmith6378 Spotlights...The Smurfs

Hello and welcome to SelmonSmith6378 Spotlights, Buffalo Bills Forums official review post/thread/thing/whatever. I'm your host, SelmonSmith6378, here to tell you what I fully expect was NOT to have been on your most anticipated movies of 2011 list. Raja Gosnell's "The Smurfs". And, since Raja Gosnell also directed such TERRIBLE movies as "Scooby Doo: Monsters Unleashed", "Beverley Hills Chihuahua" and, worst of all, "Scooby-Doo: The Movie", who can really blame you? Well I'm here to tell you "The Smurfs" is not nearly as bad as it looks...But it's still a lame, predictable family movie.

"The Smurfs" tells the story of the Smurfs as they get lost in New York, and try to find a way to get back home before the evil wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) catches them, and destroys them to use their essence to increase his magic, or something like that. Luckilly, they run into the couple of Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays), who promise to help them.

Now "The Smurfs" has got to be one of the most predictable movies I've ever seen, EVEN in terms of family movies these days. I could predict everything that would happen in this movie minutes before it actually happened. I kept waiting for "The Smurfs" to surprise me with some kind of twist or turn...But that just didn't happen. I mean, it's not even as predictable as most family movies, it's far worse. It's "Gameplan" levels of predictable, which is definitely NOT a good thing.

Which brings me to the next problem of the movie...It...Is So...Bland. GOD it is bland! "The Smurfs" doesn't bring a SINGLE new thing to the table! It doesn't take any risks, it doesn't try anything different. Everything in this movie has been done before, and usually a lot better (i.e "Alvin and the Chipmunks", and yes, I admit I liked the first one) It's almost like everyone, Raja Gosnell, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, Katy Perry, seems to be running on auto pilot. Face it; the creators didn't care about this movie...At all. Hell, the only ones who seem to give a damn about this movie are Neil Patrick Harris and Hank Azaria.

That's really sad, because this movie isn't all bad. I'll admit it: It's pretty funny. Yeah, that's right. "The Smurfs" is a decently funny movie. The scenes with Gargamel with them were actually really hilarious. Everything from the lines, to his voice, to the way the people around him reacted to him. There's one joke in particular involving smoke rising from a vent that I found especially hysterical. He's extremely funny in this movie, which almost makes me feel bad considering no one else was really trying. Don;t get me wrong though; although 70% of the films funny jokes are done by Gargamel, there are still a few other jokes that really seemed to work. Neil Patrick Harris did a great job in this movie. When the funny jokes aren't coming from Gargamel, their coming from Harris.

The acting really isn't that bad in this movie either. I mean, at least in terms of family films. Like I said before, I thought that Neil Patrick Harris did a really good job and if this movie does one thing right, it's Hank Azaria as Gargamel. I really hope he gets more chances to star in other movies because he certainly has the potential to be a great comedian.

So, summing up, while "The Smurfs" isn't horrible, and I wouldn't jump out of a window if I had a younger sibling or young relaticve who forced me to see this, it's still incredibly mediocre. Let me put it this way: Out of all the BAD live action adaptations of Hanna Barbara kids shows from the 2000's, I'd say this one was the least bad. Put in the right hands, it might even be good. Sadly, when it all comes down to it...It's still bad and not really worth a rent.

Grade:

C

And I was just about to run out and... Wait... No. No I wasn't.

Watching movies with a younger sibling, or?

I think he is actually the younger sibling

• Haha (+1) 1

That's what I thought too, but I also thought like high school, no? Oh well.

Yeah, I think Selmon is like 18 maybe?

Selmon, how old are you dammit!?

youtube.com/watch?v=ku40DEMg57k

Hello and welcome to SelmonSmith6378 Spotlights, Buffalo Bills Forums official review post/thread/thing/whatever. I'm your host, SelmonSmith6378, here to tell you what I fully expect was NOT to have been on your most anticipated movies of 2011 list. Raja Gosnell's "The Smurfs". And, since Raja Gosnell also directed such TERRIBLE movies as "Scooby Doo: Monsters Unleashed", "Beverley Hills Chihuahua" and, worst of all, "Scooby-Doo: The Movie", who can really blame you? Well I'm here to tell you "The Smurfs" is not nearly as bad as it looks...But it's still a lame, predictable family movie.

"The Smurfs" tells the story of the Smurfs as they get lost in New York, and try to find a way to get back home before the evil wizard Gargamel (Hank Azaria) catches them, and destroys them to use their essence to increase his magic, or something like that. Luckilly, they run into the couple of Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays), who promise to help them.

Now "The Smurfs" has got to be one of the most predictable movies I've ever seen, EVEN in terms of family movies these days. I could predict everything that would happen in this movie minutes before it actually happened. I kept waiting for "The Smurfs" to surprise me with some kind of twist or turn...But that just didn't happen. I mean, it's not even as predictable as most family movies, it's far worse. It's "Gameplan" levels of predictable, which is definitely NOT a good thing.

Which brings me to the next problem of the movie...It...Is So...Bland. GOD it is bland! "The Smurfs" doesn't bring a SINGLE new thing to the table! It doesn't take any risks, it doesn't try anything different. Everything in this movie has been done before, and usually a lot better (i.e "Alvin and the Chipmunks", and yes, I admit I liked the first one) It's almost like everyone, Raja Gosnell, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, Katy Perry, seems to be running on auto pilot. Face it; the creators didn't care about this movie...At all. Hell, the only ones who seem to give a damn about this movie are Neil Patrick Harris and Hank Azaria.

That's really sad, because this movie isn't all bad. I'll admit it: It's pretty funny. Yeah, that's right. "The Smurfs" is a decently funny movie. The scenes with Gargamel with them were actually really hilarious. Everything from the lines, to his voice, to the way the people around him reacted to him. There's one joke in particular involving smoke rising from a vent that I found especially hysterical. He's extremely funny in this movie, which almost makes me feel bad considering no one else was really trying. Don;t get me wrong though; although 70% of the films funny jokes are done by Gargamel, there are still a few other jokes that really seemed to work. Neil Patrick Harris did a great job in this movie. When the funny jokes aren't coming from Gargamel, their coming from Harris.

The acting really isn't that bad in this movie either. I mean, at least in terms of family films. Like I said before, I thought that Neil Patrick Harris did a really good job and if this movie does one thing right, it's Hank Azaria as Gargamel. I really hope he gets more chances to star in other movies because he certainly has the potential to be a great comedian.

So, summing up, while "The Smurfs" isn't horrible, and I wouldn't jump out of a window if I had a younger sibling or young relaticve who forced me to see this, it's still incredibly mediocre. Let me put it this way: Out of all the BAD live action adaptations of Hanna Barbara kids shows from the 2000's, I'd say this one was the least bad. Put in the right hands, it might even be good. Sadly, when it all comes down to it...It's still bad and not really worth a rent.

Grade:

C

You're way too kind. Not worth a rent unless kids were dying to see it like mine were. D-

Whoa, slowdown zepp. He's 16. Guess you missed his birthday thread from a month or two ago.

16? dayum...happy belated, Selmon lol

You're way too kind. Not worth a rent unless kids were dying to see it like mine were. D-

Well, while I can understand why you (along with a lot of people) hate this movie, we have to put into consideration the vast amount of TERRIBLE family films made over the past decade. ESPECIALLY ones directed by Raja Gosnell. So considering that, I think it's bad, but not horrendous, and I wasn;t wishing death upon Gosnell's family after watching it.

And I was just about to run out and... Wait... No. No I wasn't.

Watching movies with a younger sibling, or?

Yeah, I have a 12 year old bro who wanted to see this really bad. Probably for the sole purpose I DIDN'T want to see it haha!

Whoa, slowdown zepp. He's 16. Guess you missed his birthday thread from a month or two ago.

which if i recall- he still never told us what "his favorite movie ever that his family hates when he makes them watch it" was - unless i missed that. selmon, given the recent movie selections, im not sure if i am actually up to ask.

• Haha (+1) 1

which if i recall- he still never told us what "his favorite movie ever that his family hates when he makes them watch it" was - unless i missed that. selmon, given the recent movie selections, im not sure if i am actually up to ask.

That's SELECTION. This is my first family movie review. The next one I'll review is the dreaded, the awful, the terrible..."ARE WE THERE YET?"! I know, I can hear your screams of terror right now. Anyways, I got an idea. Maybe for the bad movies I review, I sort've do a script similar to what the Nostalgia Critic does for his videos. Sound interesting?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, while I can understand why you (along with a lot of people) hate this movie, we have to put into consideration the vast amount of TERRIBLE family films made over the past decade. ESPECIALLY ones directed by Raja Gosnell. So considering that, I think it's bad, but not horrendous, and I wasn;t wishing death upon Gosnell's family after watching it.

Yes we do.

Sadly that trend will continue, "The Smurfs 2" comes out next summer.

What is unfortunate is how few if any family films are made that are not animated films. And I mean movies that the whole family can enjoy, not just kiddie movies that are filled with endless fart jokes.

Yes we do.

What is unfortunate is how few if any family films are made that are not animated films. And I mean movies that the whole family can enjoy, not just kiddie movies that are filled with endless fart jokes.

Shockingly, "The Smurfs" doesn;t have a SINGLE fart joke in it! :thumbsup: Check out my "Gameplan" review if you REALLY want to know what kinds of awful family films I hate!

Yes we do.

Fart jokes are a selling point with me :P