Do you have to be from buffalo/ny to be a real fan?

tito1

Another Aussie. Before kids came, used to visit every 3 years. Fan from the Smith draft. Have met heaps from this site, Bill from NYC, Pinto Kenny, Hammered, 89, Aussiesue... John Guy! Named my son Thomas Thurnan. Only own Bills tshirts etc. Everyone i l know, knows about the Buffalo Bills- "deal with it!" Enough said!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Im from North western Pennsylvania myself, and the rest of my family is Steelers fans. However on November 26th 1990 I watched the Bills lose to the Oilers 27-24. (I was 9 years old at the time, and just discovering I liked football)and ever since then I've lived and died with the Bills. Go Bills!!!!!

I was born and raised in Buffalo, and moved back here after college. But the funny thing is, I didn't really care about the Bills until I went away for school. They were always so middling in my teenage years (the 2000s) that they had no real impact on my life.

Only when I was living in another city surrounded by football fans from all over the country did I realize how important the Bills are to this region's identity and sense of place. The Bills, in a way unlike many other NFL teams, have become shorthand for the City of Buffalo at large.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying that while I believe that the entry way for true fandom begins with passion for the team no matter where you're from, being from Buffalo and still living in the area has enriched my appreciation for how much the team means to me on a personal level. Which leads me to my next point...

Come back if you can! Or if you aren't an ex-pat, try to make your way to Buffalo as often as life permits. I know economic realities have driven a lot of good, hard-working people away, but there are so many exciting things happening here and I can't wait to see what the area grows into in the next few years. Take care of your family and life first, but if you have the ability and opportunity, make your way to Buffalo. You probably haven't had a good wing in a while, Dyngus Day is a riot, and WGR's a whole lot more tolerable now that they're the Bills' flagship network.

Hope to see some more of you guys around the 716 on football Sundays! :thumbsup:

Let me just start off by saying that this thread is awesome, as someone from buffalo now going to college in Michigan it's really cool to hear all these stories. After I am done with school I don't really think I am going to move back but if there was one thing above all else that would incline me too it's the bills. I forced my reluctant father to get season tickets in 2005 (right after malarkey left and we knew we'd suck) and went to every home game since besides last year because I was at school (still went to 4 home games) I already told him that if I live within 5 hours that me him and my brother are getting seasons and when we have kids, bringing them to games. I think through this period of just horrific teams we have as a fan base grown special and we almost have bills football entrenched in our blood. For those of us in buffalo to me it got even worse as the sabres had there stretches during the 2006/2007 seasons where there were all these bandwagon fans and it really pushed me to the bills more and I'm glad it did. Even though up until now they have done nothing but dissapoint me they are still here. No matter where I end up in life I always hope the bills stay in buffalo and ever since I was little it has been my dream to help make that happen.

GO BILLS

Tough call but sure it's possible! My dad took me to games starting at the age of nine (1978 - a 24-10 win over the Baltimore Colts). So many of my memories of the Bills were my dad taking me to Rich Stadium to see my hometown team. That's hard to duplicate if you grew up in Illinois but for whatever reason, people can truly bleed emotionally for any team if you feel they are your team.

You didn't have an NFL team in WV, so of course it's fine. Just like any WVU fans from the Buffalo area, because we don't have a big time college team.

I agree with the Ohio people in that I hate when people from Buffalo are fans of other teams. I have one good college friend like that, and frankly he's become a social idiot as he's gotten older and I think the two things are related. You don't root for your home team, there is something wrong with you. Especially if you're from a small place like Buffalo. I can see being from NYC or LA or something and rooting for a different team.

It's why I never liked Moose Johnson even though he was from here. He grew up a Dolphins fan. A Dolphins fan in Buffalo growing up in the 70s and 80s would be like a Pats fan now in Buffalo.

NOPE! I can attest to that and I'm sure "locals" would agree. I live in Massachusetts and I've been a DIE HARD BB fan since I was about 8 years old. It's actually sort of funny because Bills fans are so damn passionate about their team! If I ever see someone rocking Bills gear here in Ma 100% of the time we have a great convo because I know he/she are die hard also!

Ask my neighbors what happened Sept 25 2012 at about 4pm. My whole neighborhood knows I'm BUFFALO BILLS FAN!

*Also have a Buffalo Bills Flag Hanging in front of house ( Wife hates it!hahah )

Edited by nd03

NOPE! I can attest to that and I'm sure "locals" would agree. I live in Massachusetts and I've been a DIE HARD BB fan since I was about 8 years old. It's actually sort of funny because Bills fans are so damn passionate about their team! If I ever see someone rocking Bills gear here in Ma 100% of the time we have a great convo because I know he/she are die hard also!

Ask my neighbors what happened Sept 25 2012 at about 4pm. My whole neighborhood knows I'm BUFFALO BILLS FAN!

*Also have a Buffalo Bills Flag Hanging in front of house ( Wife hates it!hahah )

At that date and time, I took the Bills flag off of my house and proceeded to parade through my neighborhood chanting "Let's go Buffalo!" North Andover, MA is well aware of my rabid fandom.

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and have been a Bills fan since I have been 8 years old (1975). I have had friends tell me that I need to jump off the bandwagon and start cheering for someone else, but that has made my resolve in cheering for this team stronger. Tailgating and seeing a game at the Ralph is a bucket list item for me. I will never waver...I live for this team, good or bad. They are MY team, regardless of where I live.

Go Bills!

PS - I absolutely HATE the Toronto games.

At the time you probably would have been accused of being a bandwagon fan for joining up during the Superbowl run and not being from WNY or having local ties, but in sticking with them for the 18 years since they were last in the Superbowl and 12 years since they were last in the playoffs, I'd say you've been around long enough to prove otherwise. I wouldn't worry too much about what some people on the radio say. Anyway, it sounds like the situation they were describing is the opposite of yours. In dissing locals who support other teams, they're taking a stance of "If you're from here you should support the home team," which is not the same as "If you're not from here, you aren't allowed to like us." I'm sure most of the Ohians who have a problem with Cowboys fans from Cleveland wouldn't mind a Browns fan from Montana, for example.

:thumbsup: well said