I hope the Bills draft Vontaze Burfict with our last pick in round 7

I would take a chance on Vontaze Burfict with our last pick in the 7th round. I believe we have two 7th round picks. I would gamble and use the last one on Burfict. You might get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle. If not you only gave up a late 7th rounder. I think it would be worth the gamble. What do you all think?

I would take a chance on Vontaze Burfict with our last pick in the 7th round. I believe we have two 7th round picks. I would gamble and use the last one on Burfict. You might get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle. If not you only gave up a late 7th rounder. I think it would be worth the gamble. What do you all think?

Obviously he has some talent, but please discuss what about him you like. How does his skillset fit, what are the strengths/weaknesses? And how he would overcome what dropped him that far? People keep posting this same thread with NOTHING supporting why, and only the typical "why not" approach (which has been listed dozens of times)

Obviously he has some talent, but please discuss what about him you like. How does his skillset fit, what are the strengths/weaknesses? And how he would overcome what dropped him that far? People keep posting this same thread with NOTHING supporting why, and only the typical "why not" approach (which has been listed dozens of times)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O.K. The biggest reason is we only have ONE linebacker on our roster, (Nick Barnett).. None of the others I would consider NFL linebackers. The rest of them stink. I think Sheppard is a blown pick as well. We NEED linebackers desperately. We need to draft more than one or two. If we can add Burfict in the 7th that would be another body that would come in and compete. At one time Burfict was talented enough to have scouts rate him draft-able. If he can stay off the "weed" and get his act together, maybe he will go back to being a decent football player.

With only one linebacker that is starting material we need to bring in bodies.

Edited by HornyToad

I read the new article in ESPN the mag and I like the way that he has responded to his poor showing at the combine. He is really working to turn things around. I saw some good things at ASU (heavy hitter), but his Combine and Pro Day didn't help endear him to scouts. If he's available in the 7th, I would throw caution to the wind.

I read the new article in ESPN the mag and I like the way that he has responded to his poor showing at the combine. He is really working to turn things around. I saw some good things at ASU (heavy hitter), but his Combine and Pro Day didn't help endear him to scouts. If he's available in the 7th, I would throw caution to the wind.

You mean throw a fart in the wind.

I have never heard of this guy. Burfict.

You mean throw a fart in the wind.

I have never heard of this guy. Burfict.

I am very surprised with this. The guy was a projected early 1st rounder with the rep as the dirtiest player in college. Youtube the guy. He laid out some people with some HUGE hits the past few years.

At one time Burfict was talented enough to have scouts rate him draft-able. If he can stay off the "weed" and get his act together, maybe he will go back to being a decent football player.

Nobody's burfict!

O.K. The biggest reason is we only have ONE linebacker on our roster, (Nick Barnett).. None of the others I would consider NFL linebackers. The rest of them stink. I think Sheppard is a blown pick as well. We NEED linebackers desparitely. We need to draft more than one or two. If we can add Burfict in the 7th that would be another body that would come in and compete there. Burfict at one time was talented enough to have scouts rate him draftable. If he can stay off the "weed" and get his act together, maybe he will go back to being a decent football player.

And why is Sheppard a blown pick? I thought he fared pretty well last year especially considering he was a rookie playing ILB in a 3-4 as opposed to his natural ILB position in a 4-3 which he will be in this year. The guy has only played one year sheeesh give him a decent chance before writing him off. Like seriously? I cant stand when people give their very unprofessional opinion with no basis for their argument other than "i THINK Sheppard is a blown pick". How the heck would you know this? Do you study him extensively like Buddy Nix does? There is a reason why you are not an NFL GM guy so stop implying that you are more knowledgeable about players than NFL Scouts (which you are doing because you are saying how you think Sheppard is a bust even though Chix thinks he can be a very good player which means that you think you are better at evaluating talent in this circumstance and thus in all circumstances by that logic)

O.K. The biggest reason is we only have ONE linebacker on our roster, (Nick Barnett).. None of the others I would consider NFL linebackers. The rest of them stink. I think Sheppard is a blown pick as well. We NEED linebackers desperately. We need to draft more than one or two. If we can add Burfict in the 7th that would be another body that would come in and compete. At one time Burfict was talented enough to have scouts rate him draft-able. If he can stay off the "weed" and get his act together, maybe he will go back to being a decent football player.

why him and not the dozens of other LB bodies though. is he a particularly good fit for our scheme? is he faster, stronger, or smarter than other guys that are on the fringe of the draft? does he have less red flags, or a better work ethic?

why him? again, im not looking for the standard issue, well why not type of answer.

And why is Sheppard a blown pick? I thought he fared pretty well last year especially considering he was a rookie playing ILB in a 3-4 as opposed to his natural ILB position in a 4-3 which he will be in this year. The guy has only played one year sheeesh give him a decent chance before writing him off. Like seriously? I cant stand when people give their very unprofessional opinion with no basis for their argument other than "i THINK Sheppard is a blown pick". How the heck would you know this? Do you study him extensively like Buddy Nix does? There is a reason why you are not an NFL GM guy so stop implying that you are more knowledgeable about players than NFL Scouts (which you are doing because you are saying how you think Sheppard is a bust even though Chix thinks he can be a very good player which means that you think you are better at evaluating talent in this circumstance and thus in all circumstances by that logic)

I concur fully. What a dumb statement by HornyToad. Completely illogical.

I am very surprised with this. The guy was a projected early 1st rounder with the rep as the dirtiest player in college. Youtube the guy. He laid out some people with some HUGE hits the past few years.

I think the book on Burfict is character issues aside his tape is pretty underwhelming, while he will occasionally knife in and make a big play, a lot of time he looks lost out there w/ run fits and coverage. Too me he looked "fat" at the combine as well, if a guy can't get in shape w/ out a contract, how can you expect him to put in work when his paycheck is actually coming in. But yeh coming out of HS he was pretty much a 5 start recruit, the success rate of late round picks is pretty low so it's not like I'd be upset if we drafted this guy. But strictly based on his senior performance (forgetting character issues) I think he is someone who should be drafted in the later rounds.

why him and not the dozens of other LB bodies though. is he a particularly good fit for our scheme? is he faster, stronger, or smarter than other guys that are on the fringe of the draft? does he have less red flags, or a better work ethic?

why him? again, im not looking for the standard issue, well why not type of answer.

Im with you. I see no good reason to even take a chance on this guy. Lack of measurables, lack of production, and lack of character. What are people so enamored with again?

In a couple months we will have a tape of him working out with the lineman who loved his sister.

Edited by rafter

Burfict will be working for a drug dealer within 36 months, if he is not in jail.

You need to learn a bit more about this guy. He's not known as thug or gangster. His issues stem from extreme low self-confidence. He was so disappointed in himself after the combine, that he considered quitting. Instead, he has begun the process of turning a 180. He hired a personal trainer and has been hitting the gym hard every day, working on agility, strength and conditioning in an effort to get himself to the NFL. He was known to take plays off in college, though his college coach, Dennis Erickson, absolutely loves the guy. He's a risk, but it's not as though he's a bad guy.

Agree 100%

Purfict.