How do you build an offense

BillsVet

We all know the Bills started strong offensively last year, scoring 106 offensive points in their first three games. After that, the points declined significantly with Buffalo totaling only 215 offensive points in their final 13 games, or about 16.5 per.

You have to wonder what Gailey thinks about the team loading up the defense these past few off-seasons with guys like Dwan Edwards, Nick Barnett, Mario Williams, Mark Anderson in UFA and then using 5 out of 6 1st-3rd round picks on defensive players. Of course, Buffalo has had to use plenty of resources on defense to vacillate from 43 T2 to a 30 front and now to a 43 Over in the span of a few seasons. The price has been an over-reliance on the HC to build an offense that can score regularly when the defense isn't at its best. It's hard to fault Gailey if the offense sputters, as Nix has only added Spiller, some bargain bin WR's, precious little at TE besides a journeyman, and added low cost options at OT. A NFL Offense needs more than that to score. I would think the time is now to look at upgrading the offense after the recent spending spree.

So all the solid OL pick ups which stacked talent at positions that we didn't even have to draft, Nix get no credit for? The guys will get better as they play together more too, remember a few years ago all we talked about on this board at times was the Oline gelling, now we have some players who are decent and getting time together, that isn't and improvement (and our Oline coach is doing a great job for a change)?

The "journey man" TE who had one of the best seasons of any TE (who was a crafty Nix steal BTW) on this team in years..... sure we should get better there but really no credit for that?

The D has stunk, I still think they will add to it high in the draft. The O was average or better statistically over the years before even with a boatload of injuries. I am quite sure they will improve talent in the draft and some guys will just get better this year. A good or great D will only make the O better.

We all know the Bills started strong offensively last year, scoring 106 offensive points in their first three games. After that, the points declined significantly with Buffalo totaling only 215 offensive points in their final 13 games, or about 16.5 per.

You have to wonder what Gailey thinks about the team loading up the defense these past few off-seasons with guys like Dwan Edwards, Nick Barnett, Mario Williams, Mark Anderson in UFA and then using 5 out of 6 1st-3rd round picks on defensive players. Of course, Buffalo has had to use plenty of resources on defense to vacillate from 43 T2 to a 30 front and now to a 43 Over in the span of a few seasons. The price has been an over-reliance on the HC to build an offense that can score regularly when the defense isn't at its best. It's hard to fault Gailey if the offense sputters, as Nix has only added Spiller, some bargain bin WR's, precious little at TE besides a journeyman, and added low cost options at OT. A NFL Offense needs more than that to score. I would think the time is now to look at upgrading the offense after the recent spending spree.

There are two ways to go to increase points scored-

1. Improve talent on offense to improve efficiency

2. Improve the defense and get more possessions

So far, we have done #2. I am hoping we can add an impact OL and WR through the draft.