Bills Defense

Owen

In 2011 the Bills Defense Stunk

Next to nothing in a pass rush... one of the worse run stopping defenses in the league...

Bills Defense made the offense look a lot worse than it was...

Come 2012... Bills now have one of the best D-lines in the NFL .... Rushing the passer and helping to stop the run. Barnett, Shepard, Morrison are the starters at LB... Give them a C grade... with little quality depth..

At least they will be better than last years club at LB...

Bills Safties ... FS Byrd and SS Wilson according to Bleacher are in the top 5... I like SS Searchy and SS Scott for depth....

Corner Backs are a different story... We need 6 this year... If the pass rush is going to be great... Our CBs have to be great... They will see a lot of short passes, slants etc.. We need cover guys to make the opposing QBs take longer to throw..

Williams is still learning but will most likely start... Florence will be 32 and in his last year.. Same with McGee.. McKelvin.. well is McKelvin... he has left his jock on the field too many times... Rogers is a great kick returner and still learning to play CB... Bills need a high quality CB hopefully in the 1st or 2nd round and in a later round...

I am hoping Gilmore is available to the Bills in round one, if not I like LB Luechly and even Barron who is great at either safety position and a team leader... A really good cover guy...

1335281611[/url]' post='2444422']

Next to nothing in a pass rush... one of the worse run stopping defenses in the league...

Come 2012... Bills now have one of the best D-lines in the NFL .... Rushing the passer and helping to stop the run. Barnett, Shepard, Morrison are the starters at LB... Give them a C grade... with little quality depth..

Bills Safties ... FS Byrd and SS Wilson according to Bleacher are in the top 5... I like SS Searchy and SS Scott for depth....

Corner Backs are a different story... We need 6 this year... If the pass rush is going to be great... Our CBs have to be great... They will see a lot of short passes, slants etc.. We need cover guys to make the opposing QBs take longer to throw..

Williams is still learning but will most likely start... Florence will be 32 and in his last year.. Same with McGee.. McKelvin.. well is McKelvin... he has left his jock on the field too many times... Rogers is a great kick returner and still learning to play CB... Bills need a high quality CB hopefully in the 1st or 2nd round and in a later round...

I am hoping Gilmore is available to the Bills in round one, if not I like LB Luechly and even Barron who is great at either safety position and a team leader... A really good cover guy...

in other words, CBs ALWAYS have to be great? Good pass rush, bad pass rush, average pass rush. I agree, we could use another CB, but the reasoning behind your assessment isn't valid. When you have a great pass rush, your CBs don't have to be great. When your pass rush sucks, they have to be great.

How do you know Barron is great at FS?

:lol:

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Not sure of your logic. You say we need our CB's to be great, but you also say that we have a great D-Line. Is it logical to say there needs to be a great-great DL/CB tandem? Also, you say that the Bills have a Top 5 Safety situation, but then you say that we should draft Barron who is a Safety. Again, does not make much sense to me.....

This is the flaw in the Gilmore/Kirkpatrick folks' reasoning, and ultimately why I don't think we will be (or should be) taking a CB at 10. We took a ton of pressure off of our CBs by adding Mark Anderson and Super Mario. The residual effect of adding an outside pass rush is that our CBs won't be left on an island. In addition, Wannstedt has never asked a lot from his corners. A lot of times he'll play his secondary in a zone quarters set, aiming to impact the opponents passing game through pressure from his front four, rather than lock down coverage. Other times, he'll go with a fairly bland cover-2 look, with the same intent. He's acknowledged that good corner play is necessary when he wants to ramp up a blitz, but I don't think that he's ever felt it necessary to go out and get lock-down corners. I just don't see him needing that one guy (a Revis or Asomugha) that can take a WR out of the game. We've already seen this in our off-season strategy where the clear focus has been getting more pressure from our front-four.

The bottom line is this, we've made some big investments at CB through the draft (Williams, McKelvin), in resigning Florence, and still have McGee around, plus the up-and-coming Justin Rogers. I'm not saying that this is a great group, but given the additions to our pass-rush and our change in scheme, I don't see CB being a greater need than OT, WR, or LB. We should add another body here, but not until we've addressed greater needs.

If all goes to plan on our DL, I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised by the production of our secondary this year.

The Swedish Chef's assistant? I can never understand a word that guy says...