science versus politics

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but why are the politicians almost always conservatives? "often the public does understand the science. they just don't like the answer."

Another ****ty article from that gubment-funded Liberal-lovin' shill NPR... :rolleyes:

In other news, water is still wet. Don't you be tryin to confuse everyday 'Mericans with yer fancy highfalutin blastfeeeming science mumbo jubmbo.

What are our Global Competitors teaching their kids? Are they moving toward Theological teaching, or deeper into Scientific Priciples and Mathematics, things that can be used to develop and innovate new ideas and products? The last study I saw stated was the Asian countries were leaving the US behind the in hard sciences, math and reading comprehension.

Another ****ty article from that gubment-funded Liberal-lovin' shill NPR... :rolleyes:

In other news, water is still wet. Don't you be tryin to confuse everyday 'Mericans with yer fancy highfalutin blastfeeeming science mumbo jubmbo.

Wait, I'm confused here.....

As far as why it is conservatives, they tend to be the ones who are mostly deeply embedded in Religiousity. This is a free country, you can believe what you want and practice as you wish, but teaching kids things that do not make them globally competitive is wasteful. Send your kids to Religious Private Schools if you want that being taught in the classroom.

Edited by B-Large

What are our Global Competitors teaching their kids? Are they moving toward Theological teaching, or deeper into Scientific Priciples and Mathematics, things that can be used to develop and innovate new ideas and products? The last study I saw stated was the Asian countries were leaving the US behind the in hard sciences, math and reading comprehension.

[/u]

Wait, I'm confused here.....

As far as why it is conservatives, they tend to be the ones who are mostly deeply embedded in Religiousity. This is a free country, you can believe what you want and practice as you wish, but teaching kids things that do not make them globally competitive is wasteful. Send your kids to Religious Private Schools if you want that being taught in the classroom.

Teaching them that crap is what's causing this country to go straight to hell in a handbasket. You can learn 'em some math cause there's nothing in the Bible against that - heck there's even a book of Numbers! I just don't get what monkey ancestors have to do with teaching kids to build rockets and fighter jets that can turn the Middle East into a glass parking lot. After all it's not "Darwin Bless 'Merica" or "In Darwin We Trust". Just let people believe what they want to believe and pick which science they want their kids to learn. After all, to quote a great man: "The U.S. is the greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the earth." Not sure which part you don't understand. Geez!

i think it's more than religiosity. It's mistrust in scholarship and academia that's displayed on this board almost daily. It's science not fitting a political philosophy (see climate change and bush's silencing government scientists). it's inability or refusal to think analytically and without bias in scientific areas. and it's financial and economic concerns versus natural law and scientific data and observations that threaten the status quo.

Teaching them that crap is what's causing this country to go straight to hell in a handbasket. You can learn 'em some math cause there's nothing in the Bible against that - heck there's even a book of Numbers! I just don't get what monkey ancestors have to do with teaching kids to build rockets and fighter jets that can turn the Middle East into a glass parking lot. After all it's not "Darwin Bless 'Merica" or "In Darwin We Trust". Just let people believe what they want to believe and pick which science they want their kids to learn. After all, to quote a great man: "The U.S. is the greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the earth." Not sure which part you don't understand. Geez!

It's not that we are teaching "religious" concepts in school that is holding us back, it's that we are still teaching to a ridiculously outdated standard of bringing every child to a "acceptable median". That worked for the days when an entire school of classmates often wound up working in the same factory, and the rich and smart kids went to college to get special training, but Post Industrial Age, kids need something better. They need to be given a rich education in specific fields that they excel at, and enough practical knowledge with the rest.

It's not that we are teaching "religious" concepts in school that is holding us back, it's that we are still teaching to a ridiculously outdated standard of bringing every child to a "acceptable median". That worked for the days when an entire school of classmates often wound up working in the same factory, and the rich and smart kids went to college to get special training, but Post Industrial Age, kids need something better. They need to be given a rich education in specific fields that they excel at, and enough practical knowledge with the rest.

Kids need to be taught how to think and to create; much like they need to be taught some basic understanding of finance and economics. But an educated population would never stand for the criminal conspiracy that is Washington so you can bet those thing will never happen in our lifetime.

Whats the amount of time it would take this piece of **** hypocrite to call me a 'racist' or an 'intolerant bigot' if I posted something similar in ghetto tone ebonics?

Whats the amount of time it would take this piece of **** hypocrite to call me a 'racist' or an 'intolerant bigot' if I posted something similar in ghetto tone ebonics?

Wow, that's harsh! Somebody piss in your cornflakes today?

Kids need to be taught how to think and to create; much like they need to be taught some basic understanding of finance and economics. But an educated population would never stand for the criminal conspiracy that is Washington so you can bet those thing will never happen in our lifetime.

State school boards decide what is taught, with Texas arguably the most powerful of the 57. The Texas School Board largely decides the contents of the textbooks that will be used throughout the country. Not sure how Washington fits into the conspiracy.

Wow, that's harsh! Somebody piss in your cornflakes today?

State school boards decide what is taught, with Texas arguably the most powerful of the 57. The Texas School Board largely decides the contents of the textbooks that will be used throughout the country. Not sure how Washington fits into the conspiracy.

I thought CA was the most powerful (I know it used to be, at least).

And by the way..."But there's a consensus! The discussion is over!" is equally as unscientific as "But it's unproven, so it's disproven!" Politics ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE is distorting the science.

And by the way..."But there's a consensus! The discussion is over!" is equally as unscientific as "But it's unproven, so it's disproven!" Politics ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE is distorting the science.

On the heels of all this "teaching intelligent design in science class" crap, I've read a lot about Texas recently, but I'm not 100% on that. Either way, Washington has little to do with it. I'm personally not in favor of the school boards in either of those states deciding what is taught. My hope for the future is for fewer paper textbooks and more updatable online content. That would drastically reduce the power held by any one state school board.

I don't want to get into the global warming thing. Let's stick with something older and more sinister, like Evil-ution. Science should have nothing to do with politics, but this is the world we live in...

What exactly is the point of this thread?

You're pining for more Barry Sucks/I agree content?

On the heels of all this "teaching intelligent design in science class" crap, I've read a lot about Texas recently, but I'm not 100% on that. Either way, Washington has little to do with it. I'm personally not in favor of the school boards in either of those states deciding what is taught. My hope for the future is for fewer paper textbooks and more updatable online content. That would drastically reduce the power held by any one state school board.

California's lunacy is of a different quality (along the "2+2=4. Does that make 4 better than 2? How does 2 feel about that? Draw a picture showing how 2 feels about 4" lines) but roughly the same quantity.

I don't want to get into the global warming thing. Let's stick with something older and more sinister, like Evil-ution. Science should have nothing to do with politics, but this is the world we live in...

More accurately, politics should have nothing to do with science. But ultimately, education has to do with both, which is the real problem.

talk about strawmen...no scientist i've heard has ever said "the discussion is over" regarding climate change. nor have i heard many conservatives put their stance in such soft terms. it's usually more in the tone of "the science behind this idea is junk" with oblique citations of perceived academic dishonesty and ulterior motives. which side is really more likely to have ulterior motives on this or most any other science versus politics debate? e.g. stem cell research, evolution, genetic engineering, climate change, etc.

Edited by birdog1960

California's lunacy is of a different quality (along the "2+2=4. Does that make 4 better than 2? How does 2 feel about that? Draw a picture showing how 2 feels about 4" lines) but roughly the same quantity.

That's the old California. The new California helps kids to understand that, unbeknownst to anyone but its closest friends 3 and 5, the number 4 was also a transgender integer that ultimately had surgery because prior to the surgery, it never really felt like a whole number.

you meaning like buying a 400K home on and interest only loan with a 30K job is a bad idea?

That kind of knowledge would be useless

talk about strawmen...no scientist i've heard has ever said "the discussion is over" regarding climate change.

Jim Hansen.

nor have i heard many conservatives put their stance in such soft terms.

Those aren't soft terms, and I've heard it plenty of times.

But hey, thanks for making my point for me. Again. In ways you can't even begin to understand. Again.

look, I've got no problem with people wanting to believe whatever they want to believe in. You can all worship Xenu if you want, I don't care.

But don't force what is (IMO) a beyond ridiculous concept such as "Intelligent Design", which is nothing more than an attempt to put a "scientific" spin on the creationisim idea, into a damn science class. You want to teach ID? Fine, do it in theology class where it belongs...

look, I've got no problem with people wanting to believe whatever they want to believe in. You can all worship Xenu if you want, I don't care.

But don't force what is (IMO) a beyond ridiculous concept such as "Intelligent Design", which is nothing more than an attempt to put a "scientific" spin on the creationisim idea, into a damn science class. You want to teach ID? Fine, do it in theology class where it belongs...

Completely agree.