The Global Warming Thread

I think they need to find a new lead scientist this guy is a buffoon!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/apr/06/nasa-scientist-climate-change

"Averting the worst consequences of human-induced climate change is a "great moral issue" on a par with slavery, according to the leading Nasa climate scientist Prof Jim Hansen."

"The situation we're creating for young people and future generations is that we're handing them a climate system which is potentially out of their control,"

as opposed to having complete control of the climate like we do now? :wallbash:

Hansen's an activist. He hasn't been a scientist for about 20 years.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been an activist since the first day that his conclusions deviated from yours.

What the !@#$ is wrong with you? Are you completely brain dead?

THIS is what I'm talking about, conner. No "But there's a consensus!" bull ****, no "but all the authorities say..." nonsense, no "oh, you're just resorting to a debating tactic that I only just read in wikipedia but don't understand" crap. Actual science, objectively done, that's falsifiable, that makes a prediction that can be tested.

THAT is why you can't even discuss it with me, you !@#$head.

Astronauts condemn NASA’s global warming endorsement

In an unprecedented slap at NASA’s endorsement of global warming science, nearly 50 former astronauts and scientists--including the ex-boss of the Johnson Space Center--claim the agency is on the wrong side of science and must change course or ruin the reputation of the world’s top space agency.

Challenging statements from NASA that man is causing climate change, the former NASA executives demanded in a letter to Administrator Charles Bolden that he and the agency “refrain from including unproven remarks” supporting global warming in the media.

“We feel that NASA’s advocacy of an extreme position, prior to a thorough study of the possible overwhelming impact of natural climate drivers is inappropriate,” they wrote. “At risk is damage to the exemplary reputation of NASA, NASA’s current or former scientists and employees, and even the reputation of science itself.”

The letter was signed by seven Apollo astronauts, a deputy associate administrator, several scientists, and even the deputy director of the space shuttle program.

NASA had no immediate comment.

Washington Examiner

If the demand is to refrain from including unproven remarks then this forces NASA to refrain from saying anything. If you demand proof, go into mathematics. In climate science the best you can ever do is collect evidence to investigate a hypothesis.

Here is the full letter and a list of the signees:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-scientists-dispute-climate-change-2012-4

Most of the people on the list talking about climate change seems somewhere between Warren Buffet talking about tax reform and Jenny McCarthy talking about vaccinations.

I counted a total of 5 people who might have some idea what they are talking about.

The key being:

The unbridled advocacy of CO2 being the major cause of climate change is unbecoming of NASA’s history of making an objective assessment of all available scientific data prior to making decisions or public statements.

In other words: STOP ADVOCATING. DO SCIENCE.

• 3 weeks later...

1) He's an advocate, not a scientist. What does it matter?

2) It was 50 years ago, what does it matter?

3) We're judging grown men on SAT scores now? Really?

1) I said I thought it was funny.

2) There was more to the article than SAT's

3) Your words from above:

"In other words: STOP ADVOCATING. DO SCIENCE."

1) He's an advocate, not a scientist. What does it matter?

2) It was 50 years ago, what does it matter?

3) We're judging grown men on SAT scores now? Really?

You know better than this Tom,

We are not judging 50 year old test scores, we are pointing out that the LEADING advocate for climate change legislation NOW,

the one who keeps doubling down and bad mouthing ANYONE who offers evidence that runs counter to what he and governments across the world are CURRENTLY insisting we all accept without protest,

that perhaps doesn't really understand the basics himself.........

Edited by B-Man

"In other words: STOP ADVOCATING. DO SCIENCE."

My words are directed at scientists, dimwit. Al's an advocate; I don't want him doing science any more than I want you doing it.

You know better than this Tom,

We are not judging 50 year old test scores, we are pointing out that the LEADING advocate for climate change legislation NOW,

the one who keeps doubling down and bad mouthing ANYONE who offers evidence that runs counter to what he and governments across the world are CURRENTLY insisting we all accept without protest,

that perhaps doesn't really understand the basics himself.........

...based on his college grades and test scores 50 years ago. Did you read the article?

Dammit, stop making me defend Al Gore! :wallbash:

My words are directed at scientists, dimwit. Al's an advocate; I don't want him doing science any more than I want you doing it.

...based on his college grades and test scores 50 years ago. Did you read the article?

Dammit, stop making me defend Al Gore! :wallbash:

So, if Al Gore doesn't understand the science he's still capable of being an advocate?

So, if Al Gore doesn't understand the science he's still capable of being an advocate?

You're kidding, right? I could go downtown, swing a dead cat, and hit an advocate that doesn't know what they're talking about. So...yes.

And again...he doesn't understand the science based on his college grades? It was 50 !@#$ing years ago!!!

You're kidding, right? I could go downtown, swing a dead cat, and hit an advocate that doesn't know what they're talking about. So...yes.

And again...he doesn't understand the science based on his college grades? It was 50 !@#$ing years ago!!!

Can you get any more obtuse? Your words:

"Al's an advocate; I don't want him doing science any more than I want you doing it."

Ok, so why don't you want Al Gore doing science? If it's because of his lack of knowledge, then is he an appropriate or able advocate?

Can you get any more obtuse? Your words:

"Al's an advocate; I don't want him doing science any more than I want you doing it."

Ok, so why don't you want Al Gore doing science? If it's because of his lack of knowledge, then is he an appropriate or able advocate?

I don't want Al doing science because he's an advocate.

Is he an appropriate or able advocate? Probably not. Who cares? It has ****-all to do with science.

• 4 weeks later...

More hypocrisy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2148557/The-Voice-judge-Will-goes-Oxford-University-climate-change-debate-gas-guzzling-helicopter.html

"Despite his highly polluting journey to the university, speaking at the talk, the star said: 'Climate change should be the thing that we are all worried and concerned about as humans on this planet, how we affect the planet, our consumption, and how we treat the place that we live in.'

But his transportation to the event did not escape the attention of those at the university - or physics professor Mr Allen.

He said: 'The irony didn’t escape everybody. But he’s committed to the issues and he’s written songs about it.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2148557/The-Voice-judge-Will-goes-Oxford-University-climate-change-debate-gas-guzzling-helicopter.html#ixzz1vkKwSHiU

More hypocrisy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2148557/The-Voice-judge-Will-goes-Oxford-University-climate-change-debate-gas-guzzling-helicopter.html

"Despite his highly polluting journey to the university, speaking at the talk, the star said: 'Climate change should be the thing that we are all worried and concerned about as humans on this planet, how we affect the planet, our consumption, and how we treat the place that we live in.'

But his transportation to the event did not escape the attention of those at the university - or physics professor Mr Allen.

He said: 'The irony didn’t escape everybody. But he’s committed to the issues and he’s written songs about it.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2148557/The-Voice-judge-Will-goes-Oxford-University-climate-change-debate-gas-guzzling-helicopter.html#ixzz1vkKwSHiU

That made me laugh out loud silently