Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

1gap2gap

To me, Buddy says a lot of great things, and he is very straight forward. He goes after a certain kind of player, and almost all of the players he gets fit MOST of his criterion. It's extremely hard to find guys that fit all of them. Just because Hill doesn't fit one of those 6-7 things that Nix likes does not at all take him out of the running in any way.

Buddy likes, has said he likes, and has had a history of acquiring:

Big guys

Fast guys

Guys who played in major programs in top conferences

High character guys

Smart guys

Guys who played a lot of football versus one year wonders

Guys who produced on the field

If Steven Hill or anyone fits 5-6 of those 7 things, there is no way Nix is going to shy away from him in any way. Nix wants a big fast WR to make plays and that can block. Hill does that. He played at a big school against top quality teams. He seems, to me at least, to be a smart, high character guy. I have no idea if they are going to draft him, I'm sure Chan has a very good idea of what kind of player he is by his GT connections. I have a hunch they are very interested in him.

This is something that CANNOT be discounted. If Chan has good information and they feel there isn't that much of a drop off between him and Floyd #10 and a player like Kirkpatrick or even one of the LT prospects is there, they may go after the latter and pick Hill up on their 2nd rounder. This is exactly what JK was talking bout when Mario opened the draft up for them.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Buddy says a lot of great things, and he is very straight forward. He goes after a certain kind of player, and almost all of the players he gets fit MOST of his criterion. It's extremely hard to find guys that fit all of them. Just because Hill doesn't fit one of those 6-7 things that Nix likes does not at all take him out of the running in any way.

Buddy likes, has said he likes, and has had a history of acquiring:

Big guys

Fast guys

Guys who played in major programs in top conferences

High character guys

Smart guys

Guys who played a lot of football versus one year wonders

Guys who produced on the field

If Steven Hill or anyone fits 5-6 of those 7 things, there is no way Nix is going to shy away from him in any way. Nix wants a big fast WR to make plays and that can block. Hill does that. He played at a big school against top quality teams. He seems, to me at least, to be a smart, high character guy. I have no idea if they are going to draft him, I'm sure Chan has a very good idea of what kind of player he is by his GT connections. I have a hunch they are very interested in him.

I see what you're saying Kelly, but every first and second round pick he's made for the Bills have had production behind them. The only times he strays from that are guys like Easley, albeit in later rounds. Even a Troup or an Aaron Williams had production as tacklers and run stoppers if they didn't have the glamour stats - sacks and picks. So for him to take a guy like Stephen Hill, who has less than 50 receptions career to his name would fly in the face of what he's said to date.

Edited by LynchMob23

I could care less that he smoked/smokes pot. I think you'd be surprised how many players do. If he can be a pro bowl CB, he's worth the selection and I'd back it up completely.

Agreed. It's just the morons that get caught that I want to avoid. If it's so prevalent, he shouldn't have got caught.

If we're going to take a player with earlier off the field issues that now seem resolved, lets take the better player in Jenkins (better than Haden when they were both at UF). He's the better CB if we're going this way...

I like Jenkins, its just a value question that early. I think he'll be there later on for us. How late, I don't know.

I really liked bits of games and film that I watched from Kirpatrick, I'm not too worried about some of the combine numbers as players like Brandon Flowers and more recently Joe Haden have proven that tape demonstrating game speed should supersede a marginally slow 40 time. BUT

This quote from teammate Dequan Menzie scares me a little:

Menzie has been training with Kirkpatrick and Hightower. What have they been telling Menzie?

"We've just got to get that money," Menzie said. "That's what Dont'a and Kirk say all the time. 'Go get that money. You've got to have the money on your mind.'"

I'm all for money as a motivational tool, heck most of the general population's performance at work is at least partially tied monetary compensation. But when you hear it coming from a guy with character concerns (I recognize that the new rookie scale reduces the risk somewhat) it makes me question whether getting that one contract will satisfy Kirkpatrick to the point where his future work ethic, film study, contribution to locker room chemistry in the pros will be diminished because he got paid. .... that being said I maybe I am grasping at straws here, using money to motivate doesn't necessarily imply once he has money he will be no longer motivated. Plus if I were doing intense two-a-day training sessions that big signing bonus to first rounds picks would be a top of my mind as well.

Personally, I want the Bills to draft the BPA (excluding RB because I believe the depth we have + financial commitment to current RB's, as well as injury concern) negates drafting a someone like Trent Richardson --even though I think he'll be a good-to-great NFL back. To me there is not one clear hole that needs to be fixed but I can see arguments for all of these positions: O-Line, D-line, WR, DB, and even QB if you think a guy like Tannehill is franchise QB. Kirpatrick certainly looks to me like he might be the BPA at 10, the Bills will need to do their due dilligence in the interview room though.

It should be noted that the charges against Kirkpatrick were DROPPED. If he ends up being our pick, I will have full confidence that Buddy Nix and the team's southern scouts did their homework on Dre's character and his commitment to his football career. Before the marijuana charge, Dre was considered to be neck-and-neck with Claiborne for top ranked CB in the draft. His talents are especially valuable to teams that employ zone coverage schemes. So if Jonathan Martin gets picked in the top 9, don't be surprised to see Dre get selected at #10 on account of "BPA" philosophy...regardless of what you personally think of drafting 1st round CB's.

Thank you. Glad to see somebody has been paying attention.

FWIW, the driver of the vehicle admitted to buying the dope.

I really liked bits of games and film that I watched from Kirpatrick, I'm not too worried about some of the combine numbers as players like Brandon Flowers and more recently Joe Haden have proven that tape demonstrating game speed should supersede a marginally slow 40 time. BUT

This quote from teammate Dequan Menzie scares me a little:

I'm all for money as a motivational tool, heck most of the general population's performance at work is at least partially tied monetary compensation. But when you hear it coming from a guy with character concerns (I recognize that the new rookie scale reduces the risk somewhat) it makes me question whether getting that one contract will satisfy Kirkpatrick to the point where his future work ethic, film study, contribution to locker room chemistry in the pros will be diminished because he got paid. .... that being said I maybe I am grasping at straws here, using money to motivate doesn't necessarily imply once he has money he will be no longer motivated. Plus if I were doing intense two-a-day training sessions that big signing bonus to first rounds picks would be a top of my mind as well.

Personally, I want the Bills to draft the BPA (excluding RB because I believe the depth we have + financial commitment to current RB's, as well as injury concern) negates drafting a someone like Trent Richardson --even though I think he'll be a good-to-great NFL back. To me there is not one clear hole that needs to be fixed but I can see arguments for all of these positions: O-Line, D-line, WR, DB, and even QB if you think a guy like Tannehill is franchise QB. Kirpatrick certainly looks to me like he might be the BPA at 10, the Bills will need to do their due dilligence in the interview room though.

Interesting stuff. Must be hard on these kids about to maybe be rich. i will have to trust in Buddy. What's gonna happen when all these 70 year old nflers are gone and its just about the revenue. I rue the day. i truly do. Character is what the Buffalo Bills are presenting as our team's heart and soul. That is why i am back on board the wagon.

we have been drafting collegiate team leaders all around. Players of good character are really becoming our foundation. Buddy won't even bat an eyelash over this kid. let dre go somewhere else for his education

Edited by 3rdand12

Thank you. Glad to see somebody has been paying attention.

FWIW, the driver of the vehicle admitted to buying the dope.

The knocks on this kid are about perception. He's got skill and size at a critical position. His build also puts him in position to transition to safety later in his career if need be.