Bills passing game

The Bills are looking for a big, fast WR opposite WR Stevie Johnson to open up the passing game more. Should no options become available in the draft. with that 10th pick, will WR Justin Blackmon 6'1'' 210 (who refused to run a 40 at the combine) Then WR Michael Floyd 6'3'' 220lbs and runs a 4.42 40. both be gone?

Reports are saying the Bills want Vincent Jackson, but for 11-12 million a year he will get in free agency, or it could be more like 14-16 million if some team goes crazy? Plus the Chicago Bears like many teams are going after Jackson big time. Stevie Johnson had about the same stats as VJ last year so this really doesn't look like a viable option.

DeSean Jackson doesn't fit Buddy Nix's mold as a WR, plus the kid was franchise tagged. But reports are the Eagle are still not happy with his play he could be had in a trade. Andy Reid benched him in one game and are said to be very leery about giving this kid a big contract Jackson was told to stay home while the team went to Arizona because he missed a special teams meeting. My take is this situation with Jackson is almost the same with what happened to the Buffalo Bills and Jason Peters. He saw everyone around him getting big money and he got frustrated and upset with the situation.

The Bills could make an overture to the Eagles AFTER this years draft and trade 2013 draft picks for him. The kid is only 5'10'', 175 lbs but he is a game breaker on special teams and at WR. He could come cheaper then Vincent Jackson and be a better overall threat then VJ. The Bills could offer like a 2nd round pick to the Eagle for him. then talk to him and find out what kind of money he would be happy with. Another player who had about the same stats as Stevie Johnson at WR so not very wise to overpay with picks or money.

Marques Colston of the Saints might just fit the bills at 6'4'' 230 lbs, that's a big boy and a Brandon Marshall type. Colston has turned in better numbers the Stevie has but then he has been on a better team with super accurate Drew Brees at QB, so expect Colston to ask for more money then Johnson got from Buffalo. Both VJ and Colston's agents will be looking at what Buffalo paid Johnson to be starting points for their clients.

Both Colston and Jackson could really hit the FA Jackpot this year.

Realistically the Bills should be looking at should be looking at players like Mario Manningham- Reggie Wayne- Pierre Garcon who all should command less money then Johnson got.

The Wildcard in all of this might just be a one year deal to Randy Moss who just ran a sub 4.4 40 for the Saints. But then we all know if Moss isn't 100% motivated for whatever reason he gives about 50%...if that.

Sooo, It might be wise of Buddy Nix to trade back with the Bengals in Trent Richardson is still on the board at the 10 spot, get their 17th and 21st picks in the first round. Then draft an OT like Martin or Reiff or DE /LB at 17, then get the next Randy Moss in Stephen Hill at 21. Even if Richardson isn't there it still might be a wise move to trade back if there are no prospects the Bills covet at the 10th pick.

Then there is Stephen Hill who ran a 4.36 at 6'4'' 2-15 at the combine. Will he already be gone before the Bills pick in the second round? Hill is already being compared to Calvin Johnson and he would be ranked even higher in the draft if he didn't play in a run oriented offense at GT. He only had 28 receptions for 820 yards last season and 5 TD's. It is already noted that some mock drafts have Cleveland or the 49ers drafting him late in the first round. I know it sounds crazy to be looking at this kid with that 10th pick. But then, what would a Megatron clone be worth to the Buffalo Bills? I have no doubt that if Al Davis were still around he would be trading up in the draft to get this kid

Whatever they do, they clearly need to get more WR help if Gailey plans on running his 5-wide thing again this season.

And what they need are more receivers like Steve Johnson who are good running the short routes, within 15 yards, so that Fitz stands a good chance of getting the ball to them.

The Bills need receivers that can get separation quickly so that defenses can't do what they did to the Bills the last half of last season, namely crowding the line and taking the short game away.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Robert Meachem.

He has size and speed to be a good deep threat and is going to come a lot cheaper than someone like Vincent Jackson.

Also he has been playing in an offense that spreads the ball around a lot so you wouldn't expect to get any complaining out of him about not getting the ball enough. I would expect there to be a good chance of a lot of complaining coming out of VJ so for the money I think Meachem would be a great pick up for the Bills to upgrade their passing attack.

I would say of any FA WR out there, Meachem makes the most sense

Moss is never happening, no way he wants to come to Buffalo when he will have 5-10 other choices, sorry but thats reality...I am not even considering this as an option for Buffalo b/c of age/chemistry/other options for him

Colston and VJ will both get top dollar from teams truly lacking a number 1 (Chicago comes to mind, Redskins - even though they have S.Moss, they still throw money)

Garcon rejected Colts contract for basically exaclty what Stevie J signed for, so either he REALLY doesnt wanna play in Indy or he thinks he will get more money than Stevie - which isnt happening, so I dont know if this is a realistic option

Meachem however is big, fast and fits exactly what we need. That said, because of that, he also fits what alottt of other teams need so we will most definately have to over pay for it - but I would still like to see the bills get it done, where he could be a feature in an offense instead of playing 3rd, 4th or 5th fiddle like he has in New Orleans (plus, he can block)

Brandon Lloyd is a great fit anywhere. He gets open and catches the ball. Oh....by the way, the Bills have a GAPING HOLE at tight end that nobody is talking about. Chandler is a free agent and they have NOTHING in the pipeline.

Hill was considered a 4th or 5th rounder before the combine, and it wasn't just because of the offense he was in. The guy hears footsteps and lacks toughness. He IS NOT a Calvin Johnson clone dude.

Don't believe me...

Yea well, just listen to what Mike Mayock and Charley Casserly had to say about this kid ...has great feet...ok ...just watch the vid

Mike Mayock and Charley Casserly discuss the NFL potential of speedy 6-foot-4 Georgia Tech wide receiver Stephen Hill

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d8276ba2e/The-next-Calvin-Johnson

Analysis

Release: Has exceptional length, reach, and power in hands, and easily negates the press. Not overly sudden, needs some steps to get to top speed. Tends to release a bit high and upright. Not overly explosive initially, but top speed is impressive once attained.

Hands: Has generally good hands, with the capacity for the outstanding catch. Tremendous ability to high point. Good at tracking the throw and adjusting his route. Natural hand catcher. Has great leaping ability and can extend and snatch with elite skill, even at full speed.

Route Running: Has to gear down a bit to make sharp cuts. Is best when running routes that require smaller cuts. Has great top end speed and is really difficult to match on deep routes with a few not-so-sharp cuts.

After the Catch: Has great top speed. While not that shifty in the open field, has a good stiff arm, is strong, and can break tackles.

Blocking: Top grade here. Has outstanding range, technique, and power. Consistently dominated smaller DBs and had success blocking LBs. Was a focus blocker on the GaTech offense with plays designed to run behind his blocks.

Intangibles: Smart, durable, hard working athlete. No apparent reason to question a high intangibles grade here, which is important for a prospect going from a triple option to the NFL, not a small adjustment for a WR.

NFL Comparison: Darrius Heyward-Bey - Oakland Raiders

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665228

This kid will keep edging up the mock draft charts as the draft gets closer and closer....6'4'', 215lbs, and ran a 4.36 40. plus he is already a top rated blocker....he won't make it out of the first round!!