reggie white - steroroids?

a professional athlete dies at 43? in this day in age, i  cant help but think of a nasty word that starts with s, and is now ruining baseball. hall of fame athletes dont just die like that.

180764[/snapback]

No. It was congentital heart failure caused by a breathing disorder he had for his entire life...

(according to Monday Morning QB this afternoon at least.)

a professional athlete dies at 43? in this day in age, i  cant help but think of a nasty word that starts with s, and is now ruining baseball. hall of fame athletes dont just die like that.

180764[/snapback]

I was wondering how long it was going to take for some body to start this.

No. It was congentital heart failure caused by a breathing disorder he had for his entire life...

(according to Monday Morning QB this afternoon at least.)

180766[/snapback]

it very well may have been. i hope it was, because reggie was a great person as well a football player, but i cant believe that NO ONE is has even slightly raised this question on any site i have looked at (espn, nfl.com)

it very well may have been. i hope it was, because reggie was a great person as well a football player, but i cant believe that NO ONE is has even slightly raised  this question on any site i have looked at (espn, nfl.com)

180775[/snapback]

Why would anyone raise it if there isn't even one tiny piece of evidence that would suggest steroids played a role?

Raising this issue is ridiculous when there is no evidence to support it other than: "Gee, he was a professional athelete so he must have taken roids". A journalist would get laughed off the stage for that kind of logic ;)

Why would anyone raise it if there isn't even one tiny piece of evidence that would suggest steroids played a role?

Raising this issue is ridiculous when there is no evidence to support it other than: "Gee, he was a professional athelete so he must have taken roids". A journalist would get laughed off the stage for that kind of logic ;)

180782[/snapback]

professional journalist's have not raised this issue becuase i would jepordise their popularity i guess, but why would someone who has had to been in excellent shape all their life to achieve what white has achieved, just die. remember giambi's tumor? when you take roid's weird stuff starts happening to you.

180782[/snapback]

I agree with you; it's irresponsible and unrespectable to raise the issue without cause.

But, to suggest that all the people writing for NFL.com and ESPN.com are journalists is pretty funny. I too am suprised someone hasn't thrown this out there to unscroupulously grab a a little spotlight.

That and the extra pounds that interior lineman carry are the two things that immediately came to mind when I heard about it yesterday. I don't know if Reggie was a steroid user but he had freakish strength and was the most dominant defensive lineman of the modern era (sorry Bruce).

I can remember him picking up OLineman with one arm and driving him into the QB on numerous occasions. Not exactly normal for anyone else but I'm not at all convinced he was a steroid user. I'm also not willing to rule it out because I believe it's the rule rather than the exception in big money sports.

professional journalist's have not raised this issue becuase i would jepordise their popularity i guess, but why would someone who has had to been in excellent shape all their life to achieve what white has achieved, just die. remember giambi's tumor? when you take roid's weird stuff starts happening to you.

180789[/snapback]

Because he had long time health condition that was well known amungst players in the NFL and journalists. It wasn't thought to be fatal until now.

The NFL tests for roids and Reggie never tested positive. Not once. He wasn't abnormally large or jacked or had any sort of physical characteristic to imply he used roids ever.

It's not journalists job to make up stories on assumptions. It's their job to report the facts.

But, to suggest that all the people writing for NFL.com and ESPN.com are journalists is pretty funny.  I too am suprised someone hasn't thrown this out there to unscroupulously grab a a little spotlight.

180792[/snapback]

I was refering to ESPN and Newspaper guys. They are infact journalists...or are supposed to be. I don't know about NFL.com. I wouldn't consider them journalists since they usually just toe the company line.

Because he had long time health condition that was well known amungst players in the NFL and journalists. It wasn't thought to be fatal until now.

The NFL tests for roids and Reggie never tested positive. Not once. He wasn't abnormally large or jacked or had any sort of physical characteristic to imply he used roids ever.

It's not journalists job to make up stories on assumptions. It's their job to report the facts.

180796[/snapback]

to play devils advocate here....I wouldn't say Bonds or Giambi were "abnormally large or jacked"...would you?

to play devils advocate here....I wouldn't say Bonds or Giambi were "abnormally large or jacked"...would you?

180805[/snapback]

Look at picture of Bonds when he first came into the league and then look at one now.

Having seen both men in person, yes they are abnormally large, which isn't all that surprising since they are pro athletes, but considering how big they got over their careers, there was never any doubt.

no reason to even think that. Just because he was an athlete??? talk about the media getting into your heads.

Reggie didn't have that "Steroid" head. You know the one. That Sputnik that Bonds is sporting.

RW was just a big tough dude. And one of the games best role models. No reason for anyone to think roids on this one.

Andrea Kremer apparently had spoken with him several times in the past few weeks of his life doing interviews. She reported yesterday a few surprising things, at least to me. That Reggie had not worked out very much at all since he retired (so all that weight could indeed have been a major factor if he wasn't getting exercise).

This has zero to do with his health, but it was interesting to me nonetheless. She also said that he told her that he hadn't been to church in four years, and was re-evaluating his stance on religion (paraphrasing, but away from religion that is taught to you and closer to religion you find within yourself) and had actively been studying Hebrew for quite some time.