Should we be focusing on the Bengals trade?

rayray808

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's the problem... there is no "top ten talent" for us at 10. we would be reaching to fill a need that fits our team

I have to respectfully disagree here. There are always players worth drafting in the top 10. The only time it's a "reach" is when a team tries to fill a need rather than taking the most talented player. I mean, honestly, which of the following players would you be disappointed to have on your team?

Andrew Luck - QB/Stanford

Robert Griffin III - QB/Baylor

Matt Kalil - OT/USC

Justin Blackmon - WR/Oklahoma State

Morris Claiborne - CB/LSU

Michael Floyd - WR/Notre Dame

Quintin Coples - DE/North Carolina

Reilly Reiff - OT/Iowa

Jonathan Martin - OT/Stanford

David Decastro - OG/Stanford

Luke Kuechly - LB/Boston College

Melvin Ingram - DE/South Carolina

I don't know about you, but I think any of the above would fit the bill as both (a) a very talented player (read: worthy of a top 10 pick) and (b) an area of need. You could even toss out any 2 of those guys and still have 10 players worth drafting.

I have to respectfully disagree here. There are always players worth drafting in the top 10. The only time it's a "reach" is when a team tries to fill a need rather than taking the most talented player. I mean, honestly, which of the following players would you be disappointed to have on your team?

Matt Kalil - OT/USC

Reilly Reiff - OT/Iowa

I don't know about you, but I think any of the above would fit the bill as both (a) a very talented player (read: worthy of a top 10 pick) and (b) an area of need. You could even toss out any 2 of those guys and still have 10 players worth drafting.

that's the problem... the most talented player available may be a RB. in which we would be filling a need and not taking the most talented player aka "reaching"

also, I do not agree that Floyd is a top 10 talent

that's the problem... the most talented player available may be a RB. in which we would be filling a need and not taking the most talented player aka "reaching"

also, I do not agree that Floyd is a top 10 talent

I understand your position. I think there's a philosophical difference between bypassing an obvious position of strength (i.e. Richardson at RB) for another equally-talented (or even very close to equally-talented) player, which I believe would be the case if Richardson were indeed the top player on the board at No. 10.

Regardless of that possibility, you seem to agree that--without counting Richardson or Floyd--there are at least 10 or 11 players worthy of a top 10 pick...so I'm still having difficulty seeing what other player on that list would be considered not worth of the No. 10 pick, let alone a reach.

Just want to understand where you're coming from here...

Matt Kalil - OT/USC

Reilly Reiff - OT/Iowa

I wouldnt really care about any of the bolded at 10. I understand your point though and it is a valid onr. How about this though, how many of these guys would you be happy with:

Mercilus - DE Clemson

Upshaw - OLB Alabama

Kirkpatrick - CB Alabama

Perry - de/olb USC

Brockers - DT LSU

Cordy Glenn - OG UGA

Branch - DE Clemson

Hightower - ILB Alabama

your list and my list makes 20 and I didn't include players who aren't a fit and will be top 20 picks (kendall wright, mark barron, dontari poe, janoris jenkins, etc..). A trade down would still leave a good player and add an extra pick. Some of these positions (dt, de, wr, cb, ot) have wildly different order of who teams feel are the top 3. Trading down i na year like this where the waters are a bit muddied as to who is the clear cut best is not the worst thing. The more picks the Bills get the better the shot of landing quality.

I wouldnt really care about any of the bolded at 10. I understand your point though and it is a valid onr. How about this though, how many of these guys would you be happy with:

Mercilus - DE Clemson

Upshaw - OLB Alabama

Kirkpatrick - CB Alabama

Perry - de/olb USC

Brockers - DT LSU

Cordy Glenn - OG UGA

Branch - DE Clemson

Hightower - ILB Alabama

your list and my list makes 20 and I didn't include players who aren't a fit and will be top 20 picks (kendall wright, mark barron, dontari poe, janoris jenkins, etc..). A trade down would still leave a good player and add an extra pick. Some of these positions (dt, de, wr, cb, ot) have wildly different order of who teams feel are the top 3. Trading down i na year like this where the waters are a bit muddied as to who is the clear cut best is not the worst thing. The more picks the Bills get the better the shot of landing quality.

From that list...honestly...probably Brockers, and maybe Upshaw. The others would not excite me much. Then again, perhaps my view is slanted by the notion that I am gauging them as prospective top-10 talents. If I'm the Bengals, picking 17th, I might expand my answer to include a guy like Glenn; perhaps even Perry. Adding those guys up (hang on...I'm counting...okay, I'm back :thumbsup: ), that's 16 guys, which would leave me without a player I really like at 17. Now, that's a subjective assessment, and we don't know what the real talent evaluators think, so that may not be the reality for Buffalo.