chapel hill restaurants

birdog1960

going to a conference at unc in a couple weeks. staying right near campus. anybody here have any recommendations on where to eat? i've been told there are some good places in the "four corners" area but can't remember any names. would like to eat relatively close to campus.

I spent some time there about 20 years ago but can't recall much detail, not that it would be of much value 20 years later. But IIRC there actually was a place called 'Four Corners'. Just head to Franklin Street; it's the main drag that runs alongside the campus and you'll find a range of options.

I spent some time there about 20 years ago but can't recall much detail, not that it would be of much value 20 years later. But IIRC there actually was a place called 'Four Corners'. Just head to Franklin Street; it's the main drag that runs alongside the campus and you'll find a range of options.

Thanks for the response. I was told the area is named after dean smith's famed offense. The guy that mentioned it said there were lots of places but really liked one in particular. Oh well, there's yelp or I might call the guy or just be spontaneous and try something that looks good. My niece lives in Raleigh and I'm taking her out for dinner 2nights so were bound to do ok at least one. Surprised though that other folks in the triangle area aren't.very familiar. She suggested places in raliegh.

Top of the Hill Restaurant - West Franklin and Columbia St. Smack in the center of Downtown Chapel Hill

Il Palio - In the Siena Hotel is 4 diamond--about a mile down the hill from the center of town - pricey

Durham also has some great places -

out 15-501 is Spartacus -- about 4 miles from Chapel Hill

In Downtown Durham - Fishmongers (Brightleaf square - Fried Green Tomatoes and the Crab Dip are to die for--place feels like a dive but amazing food)

Beyu - Live music a couple nights a week--great food -- wonderful desserts

Fishmongers and Beyu both have a ton of places around them.

Armadillo Grill in Carrboro about 1/2 mile from downtown Chapel Hill -- great and fun Mexican.

If you want real North Carolina -- try Bullocks BBQ in Durham -- its about 10 miles but worth the drive.

Hope this helps.

Top of the Hill Restaurant - West Franklin and Columbia St. Smack in the center of Downtown Chapel Hill

Il Palio - In the Siena Hotel is 4 diamond--about a mile down the hill from the center of town - pricey

Durham also has some great places -

out 15-501 is Spartacus -- about 4 miles from Chapel Hill

In Downtown Durham - Fishmongers (Brightleaf square - Fried Green Tomatoes and the Crab Dip are to die for--place feels like a dive but amazing food)

Beyu - Live music a couple nights a week--great food -- wonderful desserts

Fishmongers and Beyu both have a ton of places around them.

Armadillo Grill in Carrboro about 1/2 mile from downtown Chapel Hill -- great and fun Mexican.

If you want real North Carolina -- try Bullocks BBQ in Durham -- its about 10 miles but worth the drive.

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot. Beyu here we come on a live music night hopefully. Will let my niece pick the other place. Thanks much!

Hey Birdog1960 here is their calendar http://beyucaffe.com/events/2012-03

Very cool place...but you have to put up with the Dooooookieees

The guy who told me about 4 corners is a dookie....insufferable. That's why i didn't want to call him back. Are they just as obnoxious on unc turf? Thanks for the schedule

Just checked the schedule: jazz sax and vocals on 17 th. Fantastic

Edited by birdog1960

• 2 weeks later...

forgot it's a friday in lent. not much seafood at beyu. a unc grad i know mentioned "squids"...anybody been there recently (he's an old timer)? thinkin beyu for dessert and music after.

PM eball.....he hasn't been on the board much lately but I know he's a Tar Heel.

Carolina brewery.

Mama Dips for good fried chicken

411 west. Ate there a few months ago. Good Italian.

Music: cats cradle and local 506.

For a drink you must stop by The Cave. A Chapel Hill institution!

have had a carolina brewery beer once or twice - excellent! so the actual place is in chapel hill? thanks for the tips. may have to miss some of the morning sessions on Friday...

On 3/11/2012 at 10:26 PM, birdog1960 said:

have had a carolina brewery beer once or twice - excellent! so the actual place is in chapel hill? thanks for the tips. may have to miss some of the morning sessions on Friday...

The beer you've likely had before is from the Carolina Brewing Company (CBC),  The Carolina Brewery in Chapel Hill is a brewpub, and yes that is in Chapel Hill on Franklin street.

Edited by BillsFanNC