You can't make up stuff like this

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/951181-196/dont-ask-nashua-janitors-to-watch-cement.html

'Arbitrator John Cochran, of Newton, Mass., said watching cement dry was not within the “primary scope” of a custodian’s job, which is defined as maintaining school buildings and grounds in a clean, orderly and safe condition.'

'The custodial union, AFSCME Local 365, filed a grievance last spring after several custodians at Elm Street Middle School were asked during their regular work hours Oct. 8, 2010, to watch over a set of new concrete panels on the walkway leading to the school entrance.'

'In his ruling, Cochran called the work “qualitatively different” than their normal duties and therefore outside their classification.'

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/951181-196/dont-ask-nashua-janitors-to-watch-cement.html

'Arbitrator John Cochran, of Newton, Mass., said watching cement dry was not within the “primary scope” of a custodian’s job, which is defined as maintaining school buildings and grounds in a clean, orderly and safe condition.'

'The custodial union, AFSCME Local 365, filed a grievance last spring after several custodians at Elm Street Middle School were asked during their regular work hours Oct. 8, 2010, to watch over a set of new concrete panels on the walkway leading to the school entrance.'

'In his ruling, Cochran called the work “qualitatively different” than their normal duties and therefore outside their classification.'

Umm, why are they paying someone to watch cement dry? Is that standard procedure? What a waste of money as they should simply put up a few warning signs and cordon it off. If someone manages to hurt/kill themselves through that, well, perhaps that is for the best.

Umm, why are they paying someone to watch cement dry? Is that standard procedure? What a waste of money as they should simply put up a few warning signs and cordon it off. If someone manages to hurt/kill themselves through that, well, perhaps that is for the best.

I'm paid 6 figures to watch grass grow. Got a !@#$ing problem with that???? :nana:

I can't imagine any of the school kids messing with it.

I can't imagine any of the school kids messing with it.

A possible reason, but:

District tradesmen installed and watched over the panels during the day, but when their shift ended at 5 p.m., the cement was still wet.

And I recall writing in cement and then someone pasting over it the next day in about a minute.

I'm paid 6 figures to watch grass grow. Got a !@#$ing problem with that???? :nana:

Nah, as you get paid in Zimbabwe dollars... :nana:

Edited by Booster4324

A possible reason, but:

And I recall writing in cement and then someone pasting over it the next day in about a minute.

Nah, as you get paid in Zimbabwe dollars... :nana:

Hang on to them!!!

It'll be worth more than ours soon!!!

Until a couple years ago I could have cared less. Because you're a Canadian.

And The Loon is funny Monopoly money worth a fraction of the Dollar

But then Hank Paulson, Tim Geitner and Ben Bernanke came along.

:doh:

Edited by /dev/null

I can understand having someone watch cement dry, to make sure no one !@#$s with it.

But it's kinda funny that they had a dispute over it.

And it's !@#$ing hilarious that it went to arbitration. :lol:

Funny yes, but not surprising. These school-related unions are freakin' ridiculous.

There have been grievances filed and arbitration hearings held on nonsense such as secretaries being temporarily split up and relocated from one office to another, so that their original office could be repainted and repaired. It was a violation of the CBA for their desks to be physically moved without their express permission.

These !@#$s spend more time and effort on studying their CBA and trying to figure out how not to do their jobs than actually doing their jobs. Your tax dollars at work!