With the 10th pick of the 2012 NFL draft, Buffalo picks...

TPS

The below link shows Mike Mayok's pre-combine player rankings. More and more I am starting to lean toward Ingram, with Upshaw as a backup selection.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09000d5d826f9cd9/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_content_stream

I'm 100% in the Ingram camp as well. I watch a lot of SEC football as a fan of South Carolina. Both to see my favorite team play and to see how they compare to their conference foes (eg. Alabama) so I have seen a lot of both Ingram and Upshaw over the last couple years.

What worries me with Ingram is that he didn't necessarily show the same explosiveness and consistency before this season when playing along side a likely 2014 top 10 pick in JaDeveon Clowney and 2013 first rounder Devin Taylor. He always had a knack for making a big play, but not to the same extent as this past season. That being said, his versatility is invaluable and short arms aside, he knows how to pass rush, flat out.

Upshaw strikes me as the kind of player who will be an above average 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB but not particularly exciting or great at either. A true tweener, if you will. He is very good against the run and a decent pass rusher, but is that the kind of player you pick at #10?

I'm 100% in the Ingram camp as well. I watch a lot of SEC football as a fan of South Carolina. Both to see my favorite team play and to see how they compare to their conference foes (eg. Alabama) so I have seen a lot of both Ingram and Upshaw over the last couple years.

What worries me with Ingram is that he didn't necessarily show the same explosiveness and consistency before this season when playing along side a likely 2014 top 10 pick in JaDeveon Clowney and 2013 first rounder Devin Taylor. He always had a knack for making a big play, but not to the same extent as this past season. That being said, his versatility is invaluable and short arms aside, he knows how to pass rush, flat out.

Upshaw strikes me as the kind of player who will be an above average 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB but not particularly exciting or great at either. A true tweener, if you will. He is very good against the run and a decent pass rusher, but is that the kind of player you pick at #10?

Not that he will be around for us but what about Coples?

I think the root of the Peppers comparisons with Coples are because he is 6'6 and went to UNC. If he went to a different school, they wouldn't ever be compared.

Coples clearly has a lot of talent, IMO. But why the tail off this season? Most guys get motivated to play better and improve their stock. Instead, Coples had so much hype after last season and seemed to shrink in the spotlight. Is it because he was playing to not get hurt? Because he became the focal point of blocking schemes? Is he lacking in desire/

Devon Still is the best DL in this draft....SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!? He's like the 5th best DT, not to mention overall DL! Wow! Tuesdays suck man........

u watch....he will be first DL off the board.

EDIT: just found an interesting link (has Still coming off board as second DL, btw he is cousin of our old Art Still).

Top 64 prospects for the NFL draft

by Frank Cooney of NFLDraftScout.com:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-02-21/nfl-draft-andrew-luck-robert-griffin-top-64/53191320/1

Edited by papazoid

I like Upshaw - tough football player who appears to have the work ethic and attitude to be a contributor

in the NFL. I don't see him as much of an upgrade as a pass rushing DE, though. By his own account,

his main pass rush "move" is the bull-rush. While Upshaw is powerful, I have a hard time thinking that

a 6'2" 275lb DE is going to be as successful as he was in college trying to bull-rushing 6'5" 330 NFL LTs.

I don't know that I see enough athleticism there for him to develop many other counter moves.

With Upshaw and Kelsay at DE and Dareus and Williams in the middle, the pass plays will look a lot

like 4 DL trying to push 5 OL straight back. Collapsing the pocket can be a good thing, just tough to

rely on all the time.

Don't get me wrong, the Bills could do much worse than drafting Courtney Upshaw, but I struggle to

see him as a guy that will significantly upgrade the Bills pass rush. I think (*hope*) that there will be

another player available that can have a bigger impact at another position.

100% agree...If The Bills were to Trade Down a bit and grab some extra Picks I could live with an Upshaw, Mercilous, or Ingram Pick in Round #1...But The Bills don't do that...And I don't see the value in Upshaw at #10 at all... B-)

Courtney Upshaw.

Like many here, I've been going back and forth on who should be the pick, and I finally have concluded Upshaw SHOULD be it. Here's why...

He's the most NFL ready, and will step in from day one as a starter. He is both a good pass rusher, and run defender. However, he lacks the "measurables" to be the pass rushing RDE...

Here's what I would hope to see. Standard front 4 of Kelsey, Dareus, Williams, Upshaw. However, in passing situations, I'd flip Upshaw to LDE in place of Kelsey, then use Merriman as strictly a pass rushing RDE; so passing situations would be Upshaw, Dareus, Williams, Merriman.

This brings me to R2. I'd select the best pure pass rusher available as insurance and backup to Merriman. This could be anyone from Perry, Brown, Branch, Curry, to Massaquoi.

Finally, in R3, I'd select the best pass defense OLB available, someone like Nigel Bradham of FSU (6-2, 4.67). He would back up Barnett, but more importantly, take over the role that Bryan Scott plays in passing situations. Given the 2 TE attack of the Pats, the Bills need someone with size and speed to cover (one of) those guys.

This focus on D again means the Bills must sign their important FAs on O--SJ, Bell, Chandler.

For external FAs, they should target Strong-side LB, WR, and CB.

It must be the offseason... :beer:

TPS, good post. And good info., too. I especially agree w/ the "insurance and backup to Merriman" part. I know that some posters on this board think he's washed up, but I feel he still has a presence on the field as shown in the first few games last year. Yes I know he didn't get sacks, but I think he's still trying to come along w/ that achilles. That said, hey if he lays-an-egg this season, cut your losses & move on. If he has a good season, keep him for a few more years, meanwhile grooming the young pass rusher we got the round 2.

And I agree, it must be the off, off-season. I HATE this time of year. The Bills are pretty much all the sports I care to follow, so I'm like what Vic Carucci mentioned, "for Bills fans, there's two season, Bill's season, and waiting for Bill's season." beer

Upshaw is dropping...thank goodness.

Alabama prospects Upshaw and Kirkpatrick don’t wow at Combine:

We’ve talked a lot about the standouts at the just-completed NFL Scouting Combine, but what players may have hurt their stock?

According to Charley Casserly of NFL.com, highly rated Alabama defenders Courtney Upshaw and Dre Kirkpatrick are on the list.

Upshaw lacked the explosion that you’d like to see from an edge rusher according to Casserly. Kirkpatrick’s cornerback drills were lacking and he didn’t display the burst you’d like to see from a potential top-15 pick. It’s possible Janoris Jenkins could pass Kirkpatrick as the No. 2 cornerback in the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/29/alabama-prospects-upshaw-and-kirkpatrick-dont-wow-at-combine/

Upshaw is dropping...thank goodness.

Alabama prospects Upshaw and Kirkpatrick don’t wow at Combine:

We’ve talked a lot about the standouts at the just-completed NFL Scouting Combine, but what players may have hurt their stock?

According to Charley Casserly of NFL.com, highly rated Alabama defenders Courtney Upshaw and Dre Kirkpatrick are on the list.

Upshaw lacked the explosion that you’d like to see from an edge rusher according to Casserly. Kirkpatrick’s cornerback drills were lacking and he didn’t display the burst you’d like to see from a potential top-15 pick. It’s possible Janoris Jenkins could pass Kirkpatrick as the No. 2 cornerback in the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/29/alabama-prospects-upshaw-and-kirkpatrick-dont-wow-at-combine/

In a month I'm going to start a thread entitled "Come to terms with the fact that the #10 pick will be on offense"

There isn't a defensive prospect that comes anywhere close to the OT and WR talent that will be available at #10 not to mention that any of the DE\LB prospects are not much if any better than the DE\LB prospects that will be available at #42.

Its going to be OT\WR at #10

Then likely DE at #42

Just get over the "Front 7 at #10" ideas now.

Edited by Why So Serious?

In a month I'm going to start a thread entitled "Come to terms with the fact that the #10 pick will be on offense"

There isn't a defensive prospect that comes anywhere close to the OT and WR talent that will be available at #10 not to mention that any of the DE\LB prospects are not much if any better than the DE\LB prospects that will be available at #42.

Its going to be OT\WR at #10

Then likely DE at #42

Just get over the "Front 7 at #10" ideas now.

Why wait? Michael Floyd would be fine by me.