Rolling Cap Money

plenzmd1

Yes, several teams are beneath the cap, but I cannot see how the Bills have helped their situation much the past few years. When you sign players like Cornell Green, Brad Smith, Chris Kelsay and Shawne Merriman to decent contracts, it's not good cap management. Meanwhile, we're noting that Buffalo's situation is similar to other teams? Ever wonder why NE is always in good shape and their personnel so much better?

The key to a successful team is an owner who supports a front office. Unfortunately, ownership is absentee, and the front office with a limited payroll is spending on players who offer little to nothing. And while I'll applaud them for keeping Kyle Williams, they've more than shown they aren't re-signing players before they peak in value and still keep players who shouldn't be around. That's how their situation is relatively similar to successful teams.

The point is they DO NOT HAVE A LIMITED BUDGET. The cash to the cap system is not a bad system. The Buffalo Bills do not have a budget issue.

Making poor personal decisions over many years and not being able to lure free agents are not symptoms of a budget issue.

The Bills could be $200M under the cap and Mario Williams will still not sign with Buffalo Bills.

So again. Yes the Bills have problems. Yes they continuously make poor personal decisions. There is no reason to correlate these issues with payroll. The money is there to spend if they can get someone to take it.

i.e. making Stevie Johnson a priority the day the lockout ended and agreeing to probably a lower contract than he will receive in Free Agency this March would have been a smart personnel move instead of digging another hole on the roster. The problem is not a matter of available dollars to spend. The problem is the Bills organization not understanding who, how, and when to spend the available dollars.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The problem is not a matter of available dollars to spend. The problem is the Bills organization not understanding who, how, and when to spend the available dollars.

I think you sort of summed up the problem. And you can transfer this 'root cause' to almost any other business or industry. It's why some companies prosper and others fail in the same space. More times than not, its management, or lack of it, that is the key to successfully running an enterprise.

While I have no firsthand insight into the workings of the Bills management, ownership, or front office my view of that operation is that its comparable to a mom and pop corner store with its 'folksy' approach competing against the Walmart's of the world.

Bringing in Whaley was a good start with hopefully a fresh view and working style but for the most part you've got the same core group of aging managers doing the same jobs the same way for about 40 years or more in some cases. Time to upgrade to Management 2.0 the 2012 version here.

It's never been allowed before, so how have the Bills been doing it? The NFL has a hard cap. Prior to this year's CBA there was no provision for rolling over unspent cap dollars. In 2011 and previous years the cap was the cap.

How have the Bills been doing what? Using any leftover money they have not spent under their own SELF IMPOSED BUDGET (i.e. Cash to Cap) and putting that money towards the next years SELF IMPOSED BUDGET? Again, what I have talked about has nothing to do with the leagues Hard Salary Cap. I guess you have missed the multiple spots where I said that with the Bills, it had nothing to do with the NFLs Salary Cap, it has to do with their Cash to Cap Budget

The point is they DO NOT HAVE A LIMITED BUDGET. The cash to the cap system is not a bad system. The Buffalo Bills do not have a budget issue.

Making poor personal decisions over many years and not being able to lure free agents are not symptoms of a budget issue.

The Bills could be $200M under the cap and Mario Williams will still not sign with Buffalo Bills.

So again. Yes the Bills have problems. Yes they continuously make poor personal decisions. There is no reason to correlate these issues with payroll. The money is there to spend if they can get someone to take it.

i.e. making Stevie Johnson a priority the day the lockout ended and agreeing to probably a lower contract than he will receive in Free Agency this March would have been a smart personnel move instead of digging another hole on the roster. The problem is not a matter of available dollars to spend. The problem is the Bills organization not understanding who, how, and when to spend the available dollars.

Exactly, and the Cash to Cap system is widely used around the league, and its about how you spend your money, not how much you spend.

I do disagree with your SJ part, He was coming off of one good season, after coming into the league as a 7th rounder and having trouble making the roster in previous seasons. You may have been able to sign him for a decent price over a few years, but do you really believe that after this season, or if he puts up numbers again next season that he wouldn't be looking to redo his deal like Jackson is now, and Peters wanted to do a few years ago? In the NFL today, players will never be happy with their current deals if the level of their play increases

How have the Bills been doing what? Using any leftover money they have not spent under their own SELF IMPOSED BUDGET (i.e. Cash to Cap) and putting that money towards the next years SELF IMPOSED BUDGET? Again, what I have talked about has nothing to do with the leagues Hard Salary Cap. I guess you have missed the multiple spots where I said that with the Bills, it had nothing to do with the NFLs Salary Cap, it has to do with their Cash to Cap Budget

Exactly, and the Cash to Cap system is widely used around the league, and its about how you spend your money, not how much you spend.

I do disagree with your SJ part, He was coming off of one good season, after coming into the league as a 7th rounder and having trouble making the roster in previous seasons. You may have been able to sign him for a decent price over a few years, but do you really believe that after this season, or if he puts up numbers again next season that he wouldn't be looking to redo his deal like Jackson is now, and Peters wanted to do a few years ago? In the NFL today, players will never be happy with their current deals if the level of their play increases

SJ proved one thing. He works hard in practice and in the classroom and performs on the field. This is the type of player a smart team invests in, especially coming off a 7th rounder deal.

No one questions his work ethic and his work ethic has paid off to performance on the field.

The same cannot be said for Peters.

However not signing a player because they may hold out sometime in their career is tant amount to sitting on the sideline with your thumb up your behind.

The Bills had 3 season to see the type of player Stevie is and had more than enough ammunition to make a decision.

The "Let's wait and see if this guy screws up next year, so we can get a deal." Is the way to lose talented players and remain mired in mediocrity.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about self imposed caps. My mistake, I'll make sure that I read more slowly next time.

Back on topic...I will be very surprised if the Bills take advantage of the rollover provision in the current CBA. That would raise their self imposed budget and I just can't see them doing that. I hope I'm wrong, but history says I'm right.