Bills most disappointing loss since the Super Bowls

And I give you the easiest 'F' ever on your answer, because the question is SINCE the Super Bowls!! :oops:

Most underrated hurtful game since the Super Bowls:

The 'Just give it to em' Game at New England in 1998, when you couple that WITH the Vinny Tesaverde 'phantom' TD the Jets got against Seattle (2 obvious calls that a novice ref can make) that cost the Bills a 2 seed in the AFC.

I was gonna bring that game up I think. If you are talking about the game at new England when flutie was starting at qb and the idiot refs called pass interference on a hail Mary that Bledsoe threw and then the pats won on the next play. I also remember the bills left the field and refused to come out and line up for the extra point cause they were so mad about the awful call so then the pats just went for 2. I was so furious

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the opposing coach and OC in the Bills most disappointing loss since the Super Bowls? Coughlin and Gilbride in '96. The Bills lost at home to the Jags in the playoffs, surrendering the lead three times in a game that they simply blew. It was Kelly's last game. They had no business losing that game, and failed to take advantage of one of their best defensive units ever. Bruce Smith had the season of his life in '96 (he was defensive player of the year), and had a sick number of pressures (an unrecorded stat, but he had 47 that season) to go along with 14.5 sacks.

The hatred against Gilbride on this board when he was here was interesting. In retrospect, he had a bad offensive line and a QB who never could deliver in games against good opponents. When he was in Jax and NY, the opposite applied (and still applies). Sometimes it's the players. He has also been ahead of the curve when it came to recognizing that the NFL was becoming a passing league.

Buselli (sp) owned Bruce that game

And I give you the easiest 'F' ever on your answer, because the question is SINCE the Super Bowls!! :oops:

Most underrated hurtful game since the Super Bowls:

The 'Just give it to em' Game at New England in 1998, when you couple that WITH the Vinny Tesaverde 'phantom' TD the Jets got against Seattle (2 obvious calls that a novice ref can make) that cost the Bills a 2 seed in the AFC.

This

:thumbsup: or should it be :thumbdown:

Some day, when I get to heaven, I will be told why Rob Johnson was starting that game--not that he played badly, but the bad karma that game generated--how can you sit your year long starter based on one meaningless end-of-season game?????

The curse started that day still has a hex on this team.

Yep absolutely right I was so confused and upset when they announced rj would start the wildcard game( just because he had a great game against the colts that meant nothing) that i cried. I was only 12 and I loved flutie because of how he played the game and proved all of his doubters wrong. The guy just simply found ways to win games.

Yep absolutely right I was so confused and upset when they announced rj would start the wildcard game( just because he had a great game against the colts that meant nothing) that i cried. I was only 12 and I loved flutie because of how he played the game and proved all of his doubters wrong. The guy just simply found ways to win games.

+1 I had the same reaction around the same age

If anyone wants to go back and watch the Bills/Jags playoff game from '96, here's a playlist

IMHO this was the game where the ship sailed. The younger , hungrier jags put the old Bills to bed. Just watch. Paiful as is it is, thanks for the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNZrBa-aWgM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL24298AB2D8BFDE77

Edited by Thirdborn

There's so many to choose from. The Music City Miracle, the week 17 loss to the Steelers' back-ups that prevented us from going to the playoffs, the MNF debacle against New England and the playoff loss at Miami come to mind.

If I had to choose one it would be the Music City Miracle, because I thought we had a realistic chance to go to the Super Bowl that year.

Agree and add the MNF debacle against the Cowboys

IMHO this was the game where the ship sailed. The younger , hungrier jags put the old Bills to bed. Just watch. Paiful as is it is, thanks for the link

youtube.com/watch?v=sNZrBa-aWgM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL24298AB2D8BFDE77

I just saw the stat, Kelly 14TD 19 INT

+1 I had the same reaction around the same age

Yea man it was such a bad decision and made no sense. Nice to see somebody else felt the same way.

youtube.com/watch?v=sNZrBa-aWgM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL24298AB2D8BFDE77

After watching that video its hard to imagine us losing the game lol. We were completely DOMINATING them on both sides of the ball.

I couldn't believe they lost. I thought they had it in the bag after Jeff Burris returned an INT for a TD in the fourth to make it 27-20.

Heh, me too. It may sound silly to a Bills fan in 2011, but I'd never been so sure of anything. We didn't lose home playoff games to Montana or Marino or Elway or Moon and now we're playing an expansion team who needed a miraculous Morten Anderson missed chipshot to get in? It seemed like a lock.

Once the initial shock wore off though it was sort of "well, if we couldn't beat this team at home then where were we going".

The Titans were probably the better team (they were 13-3, after all, and beat the 14-2 Jags three times before reaching the Super Bowl). While the Bills shouldn't have lost that game, it wasn't as if they were playing at home against an inferior opponent. Moreover, they stupidly started an inferior QB. The 96 loss was the last gasp of a great era, and they were built to win the Super Bowl that year. A lot of prognosticators picked them to go all the way. It was a disappointing season, and the loss at home the Jags was like a punch in the gut. At least that's how I remembered it. After that, there has never been a seaon where I thought they could compete for a Super Bowl.

If the Titans were the better team they did not play like it on that day. The refs handed them 6pts at the end of the 1st half. McNair couldn't throw for 100 yards on our defense. Watching them win in Indy & Jax and then almost in the SB only made it worse.