Lions Trying To Lock Up Avril

H2o

ESPN's Adam Schefter does not expect the Lions to let impending free agent LE Cliff Avril hit the open market.

Three months shy of his 26th birthday, Avril would be in for a monster payday, but the Lions have made it known he's their top offseason priority. GM Martin Mayhew has said he would like to avoid using the franchise tag, but it will be a distinct possibility if Avril is looking to break the bank

https://twitter.com/#/AdamSchefter/status/161795313361895425

Will have to get Mathis or Freeny then. Plus, they will cost less money. But this is bad because now their price will be higher. If Avril is on the market, the price for those two goes down.

Is Freeny even an option? I hadn't heard he was available.

Will have to get Mathis or Freeny then. Plus, they will cost less money. But this is bad because now their price will be higher. If Avril is on the market, the price for those two goes down.

Freeney, OK. Mathis is 6-2, 245. We don't need a Tampa-2 type.

i live in detroit and word has it that the Lions are trying to restructure Calvin Johnson's contract to fit Avril under the cap. I'd love to see Avril in a Bills uniform but i think the Lions are trying all they can to keep him in Detroit. He has definitely gained a lot of popularity among Lions fans this year.