American Idol

Clippers of Nfl

I love country music. However, to this day, I still think Scotty did not deserve the win. He had a performance on the cma's that was soooooo soooooo bland and bla and meh and ughhhh and doh and boring.

How will idol be after xfactor.....(i prefer xfactor now)

The first couple of weeks are always good for a few laughs. Let's hope for a good season!

Starts tonight 1/18/12

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the good news is that I was entertained by the show tonight. The bad news is that I'm pretty sure once hollywood week is over and the live shows start, I won't even watch anymore. At best, I'll give them the FF treatment, but seeing how they were gushing over people who could barely carry a tune tonight was not a good sign. Whatever was left of the talent pool in amateur land has been tapped to death by all the talent shows. X-Factor this year was the last of it, I'm fearing. I hope I'm wrong, but I didn't see a single contestant who looked marketable or special at all. There were a few who had pleasant voices, and a few others who could sing really loud but not in a pleasing manner. They were stuck having to beg a retread from last year who didn't even make the live shows to audition even though he had chosen not to.

I'm sure I'll watch up through hollywood week, but beyond that I just dont know...and that makes me sad, cause there is a huge nostalgia factor with this show for me. I think it'll really start to fizzle this season and limp into season 12 next year, and then that will be it. After that, X-factor will have a chance to run for a while, but I don't see it ever reaching the level of what Idol has been until recently.

Well, the good news is that I was entertained by the show tonight. The bad news is that I'm pretty sure once hollywood week is over and the live shows start, I won't even watch anymore. At best, I'll give them the FF treatment, but seeing how they were gushing over people who could barely carry a tune tonight was not a good sign. Whatever was left of the talent pool in amateur land has been tapped to death by all the talent shows. X-Factor this year was the last of it, I'm fearing. I hope I'm wrong, but I didn't see a single contestant who looked marketable or special at all. There were a few who had pleasant voices, and a few others who could sing really loud but not in a pleasing manner. They were stuck having to beg a retread from last year who didn't even make the live shows to audition even though he had chosen not to.

I'm sure I'll watch up through hollywood week, but beyond that I just dont know...and that makes me sad, cause there is a huge nostalgia factor with this show for me. I think it'll really start to fizzle this season and limp into season 12 next year, and then that will be it. After that, X-factor will have a chance to run for a while, but I don't see it ever reaching the level of what Idol has been until recently.

Yup, I got so bored last night that I turned on my Kindle Fire and started playing a game while watching. :lol: The last guy was cute tho.

I can't believe people still watch AI. I think it jumped the shark with Jo-Lo et al.

By the way, the absolute best singing show on TV is "Sing-Off," imo. The judges on that show, esp Ben Folds, actually know what they're talking about.

I watched Sing-Off last year (the season with Street Corner Symphony) and ended up becoming a Ben Folds fan. I've since bought four of his albums and really enjoy his music. Didn't catch the show this past season, though.

I am going to predict that a woman will win this year. :thumbsup:

That would be perfect!

the last guy is clearly marketable and appears to be a true musician already.

the hot nba dancer not marketable????

ps. you gotta be fair to the show aj. this is audition show #1. you cant expect to find 6 michael jacksons 4 elvis p 2 stevie wonders.

to me they already discovered 4 watchable performers

last guy

nba dancer

tent girl

colton's 15 year old sister

I can't believe people still watch AI. I think it jumped the shark with Jo-Lo et al.

By the way, the absolute best singing show on TV is "Sing-Off," imo. The judges on that show, esp Ben Folds, actually know what they're talking about.

omg gimme a break.

i jumped show with jlo....... this is only her 2nd season. lol. you saw 9 seasons and missed only one. season 11 started last night. lol

i'll enjoy with the other 50+ million americans.

the last guy is clearly marketable and appears to be a true musician already.

the hot nba dancer not marketable????

ps. you gotta be fair to the show aj. this is audition show #1. you cant expect to find 6 michael jacksons 4 elvis p 2 stevie wonders.

to me they already discovered 4 watchable performers

last guy

nba dancer

tent girl

colton's 15 year old sister

I'm just comparing it to the first episodes from the last ten seasons...I've never seen them make that much of an effort to over-inflate the talent as they did last night. To me, that's telling. Typically even on the commercials/previews for the show, they'll show a very brief clip of someone that they have auditioning who looks to be a potential winner. I haven't seen anyone yet that would fit that description. Trust me, I'm an unabashed fan of the show. I want to be wrong, cause I'd love to have another season like last year. I thought Scotty was a joke, but I enjoyed Durbin, Pia, and a few others that made the live shows. I just have a feeling those people aren't there this time around, that's all.

EDIT: Apparently tent girl is a huge alcoholic with multiple (recent) arrests related to her addiction...niiice lol

Edited by ajzepp

Yup, I got so bored last night that I turned on my Kindle Fire and started playing a game while watching. :lol: The last guy was cute tho.

I wont knock you for being bored. imo, the producers tried to entertain.

like the african performing rascal flats. i was lmao. my wife was. then i come to work and all 3 of my other coworkers thought the show was good and laughed from the african act too. do we laugh at anything? i dont know...

like stated in a post reply to aj. its only been 1 episode.

I'm just comparing it to the first episodes from the last ten seasons...I've never seen them make that much of an effort to over-inflate the talent as they did last night. To me, that's telling. Typically even on the commercials/previews for the show, they'll show a very brief clip of someone that they have auditioning who looks to be a potential winner. I haven't seen anyone yet that would fit that description. Trust me, I'm an unabashed fan of the show. I want to be wrong, cause I'd love to have another season like last year. I thought Scotty was a joke, but I enjoyed Durbin, Pia, and a few others that made the live shows. I just have a feeling those people aren't there this time around, that's all.

EDIT: Apparently tent girl is a huge alcoholic with multiple (recent) arrests related to her addiction...niiice lol

i didnt notice the over doing of the talent. please dont cite the bro and sis as an example (you already did though in your previous post). dude, if you were a judge you would have asked about the brother and also asked the brother to sing once you knew he was there. think about that. you know you would have done the same thing.

as far as tent girl.... poor girl. im a sucker for these stories. i hope she does well.

i didnt notice the over doing of the talent. please dont cite the bro and sis as an example (you already did though in your previous post). dude, if you were a judge you would have asked about the brother and also asked the brother to sing once you knew he was there. think about that. you know you would have done the same thing.

as far as tent girl.... poor girl. im a sucker for these stories. i hope she does well.

lol, it's definitely a good thing I'm not a judge. You're right, I would have tried to get him to sing for sure. And then after he sang, I would have taken a vote to see how many would have sent him to Hollywood, and then i would have said, "wow man, it's too bad you didn't audition...you would have made it to Hollywood again!!" :w00t:

I thought this season was better; my sister disagrees and liked last season better. I think the top two this year were outstanding and the best finalists they've had--pentatonix and the dartmough aires. If you search youtube for them, I am sure you'll be blown away.

I was same as you--started listening and really liking ben folds after sing-off.

If I wasn't at work I'd link the youtube video, but I really liked the performance by Ben Folds and the SCS when they sang Ben's songe "Gone" during the finale that year. I've since come to enjoy the album cut too, but the group performance was great.

I'll definitely check out the groups you mentioned so I can see what I missed...I really enjoy a'cappela (sp?) music

Caught a bit of it the other night and Aj's right. There's zero talent left. Some nice singers that i wouldn't mind listening to as background music at a bar or something, but no stars. And the absolute crap that is getting sent to hollywood is astounding.

At least there's some eye candy, and we have the comedy from Steven Tyler making inappropriate comments about 15 year old girls.

Caught a bit of it the other night and Aj's right. There's zero talent left. Some nice singers that i wouldn't mind listening to as background music at a bar or something, but no stars. And the absolute crap that is getting sent to hollywood is astounding.

At least there's some eye candy, and we have the comedy from Steven Tyler making inappropriate comments about 15 year old girls.

lol, in front of her father no less :oops:

And yeah, typically what has happened in the past is you get someone with some raw talent who just has no look about them at all. The people at AI get hold of the contestant, clean them up, put a good shine on them, and next thing you know they become somewhat marketable. Like you said, some of them have pleasant voices that you can listen to, but I don't see anyone who has that untapped potential that just needs to blossom into a pop performer yet. But the only reason that's bothering me is because of how much spin they are putting on these people. If they just haven't really given any air time to the REAL prospects yet, then great. But if you have to repeatedly spin things and blow sunshine up our butts telling us how amazing it is that so many people are making it to Hollywood, when clearly there is little to no talent here yet, then that is problematic. I don't even really care if we don't get another Carrie Underwood or Chris Daughtry. I'd be happy with finding the next Bo Bice or David Cook...I guess we'll see!

Okay, you guys sucked me into watching last night (I also watched because I live in Pittsburgh, and last night was the Pittsburgh audition).

Couple decent prospects...but I thought it strange that they let so many people through, like the Bieber clone and the planker's sister.

mini-Bieber seemed like a good kid, but I agree, can't see him going anywhere. And then there was that one guy who was almost like another Casey Abrahms (from last season). He might keep it interesting, I dunno.

Okay, you guys sucked me into watching last night (I also watched because I live in Pittsburgh, and last night was the Pittsburgh audition).

Couple decent prospects...but I thought it strange that they let so many people through, like the Bieber clone and the planker's sister.

No one mentioned the tall blonde girl at the end. she was pretty good. and my type of gal.

hot, young, beautiful, and humid, like your daughter. lol

steven tyler is a sex addict like me.

So...last night actually gave me a little hope. Two of the most interesting contestants so far...the WOLF, and the daughter of Jim Carrey. I'm sure she has a name, but I don't recall it and clearly walks the earth in her father's shadow anyway...

Kinda wierd that she's been a waitress for the last 6 years, though...is she wanting to find he own way or is Jimbo a cheap bastarge?

As for the Wolf, for some reason he kept reminding me of Elvis...I have no idea why. But when he opened up with the "git-fiddle", it was clear that this guy is a legit talent. So alas, not one, but TWO contenders that have caught my attention. I just hope they don't flame out too soon...

So, got to only watch the first 6 minutes of the show. Football game went too long. Oh well...probably didn't miss much, eh? :unsure:

I thought the scenery from San Diego was great!!

It made me wish there had been more time to see

everything back in Dec when the Bills were there.

I've never been but San Diego is on my list of places to go some day. :thumbsup:

You should Lana. Sea world is here and that is always unforgettable. then you have old town san diego. nice atmosphere in the evening. nice beaches. but cold.... that's just to name a few.

i live just outside la, but i have enjoyed san diego every time ive been.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think last night was the final audition show...right?

If so, there were two or three people from last night who seem to have some talent that could be harnessed. Overall I counted about 6 people who I thought were at least "good" and who I want to see more of during hollywood week. Hoping there are some other very talented people they just haven't showcased yet. I just noticed a LOT of people this year who had a pleasant tone to their voice, but couldn't carry a tune. Not to say they can't learn to get better, but I just don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon.

If they can find at least four people to watch during the live shows, it'll probably keep my interest. Last year's group was actually pretty strong, and I remained interested right to the point where they said Scotty won...then I turned that shiznit off! haha