Predictive Criteria for QBs from 2011 Draft

ajzepp

I don't really remember where it came from or who created it, but last year there was a thread about some predictive formula that was being used to determine which QBs had the best chance of success in the NFL. I'm pretty sure I remember that Andy Dalton was one of the few (or maybe even the only one) who fit the criteria. Does anyone remember this, and if so, what was the formula? Which QBs, if any, project highly based on the formula?

i think this is what youre talking about...Parcells Rules

1.He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.

2.He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.

3.He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasnt ephemeral and that he has lived as the guy for some period of time.

4.He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

Kellen Moore fits and doubles the wins

Edited by Homer

I don't really remember where it came from or who created it, but last year there was a thread about some predictive formula that was being used to determine which QBs had the best chance of success in the NFL. I'm pretty sure I remember that Andy Dalton was one of the few (or maybe even the only one) who fit the criteria. Does anyone remember this, and if so, what was the formula? Which QBs, if any, project highly based on the formula?

I think this is what you are looking for.

Here is the link to the article My link

This is the explanation

"Call it the Rule of 26-27-60.

Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level."

Edited by BuffaloBillsSD

I think this is what you are looking for.

Here is the link to the article My link

This is the explanation

"Call it the Rule of 26-27-60.

Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level."

Yes the above are the TWO main criteria regarding QB success.

Wow, I don't remember there being two different ones...interesting

Did Dalton fit criteria for both of those last year?

Edited by ajzepp

When it comes down to it - they are very similar groups that pass. Longevity, intelligence, and accuracy sum up pretty much both groups.

When it comes down to it - they are very similar groups that pass. Longevity, intelligence, and accuracy sum up pretty much both groups.

I bet one has been more accurate than the other, though...that's what interests me.

I bet one has been more accurate than the other, though...that's what interests me.

Well then you'll have to come up with criteria for what is a successful qb to judge them on.

Honestly, I'd bet they are pretty close to identical results numberwise in a broad strokes sense. Some borderline guys might fall in or out but I bet you'd be pretty close percentage of success and the guys that nail one are probably pretty high in the other. Close enough that choosing one method over the other is probably a negligible step up in scouting.

For the 1,000th time the 26-27-60 rule is not meant to be applied to all QBs all the time.

Its meant to help decide between Top 10 QBs.

so you can apply the rule to Luck and RGIII to determine who would be better for the colts to draft #1 overall.

Not to compare 7th rounder Kellen Moore to 2nd rounder Ryan Tannehill.

For the 1,000th time the 26-27-60 rule is not meant to be applied to all QBs all the time.

Its meant to help decide between Top 10 QBs.

so you can apply the rule to Luck and RGIII to determine who would be better for the colts to draft #1 overall.

Not to compare 7th rounder Kellen Moore to 2nd rounder Ryan Tannehill.

Moore will most likely go in the 4th

While it's useful information, I don't think it is as important now. Since they have removed the aspect of getting knocked to the turf 15 times per game the Jim Everett's of the world will now be able to flourish.

The problem is, a "passing" grade at QB is no longer enough. Now the team with the better QB in the fight has a bigger advantage than ever. A lot has changed in the past year since they made QB's untouchable and WR's were given the middle of the field.

Why yes. Yes, he did. Wonderlic 29, check. Started 37 games, check. 61.7% completions overall for 4 years, check.

The knock on Dalton that kept him from being a top prospect is arm strength.

Also with regards to the Parcells Rules, his college won-lost record was 42-7 and he was a 4-year starter.

He was also the MVP in the 3 Bowl Games in which he quarterbacked and was All-American once.

Also… the Bills staff coached him in the Senior Bowl… but based on comments here and there they liked his South squad teammate Christian Ponder a bit better.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dalton_andy00.html

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

While it's useful information, I don't think it is as important now. Since they have removed the aspect of getting knocked to the turf 15 times per game the Jim Everett's of the world will now be able to flourish.

The problem is, a "passing" grade at QB is no longer enough. Now the team with the better QB in the fight has a bigger advantage than ever. A lot has changed in the past year since they made QB's untouchable and WR's were given the middle of the field.

I understand the point about changes in rule enforcement backing the Defense off. Yet every week QB still get sacked, hit, hurried, and tipped.

Every week receivers still have passes batted away and get hit so hard birdies tweet, provided the 200 lb refrigerator that hits them leads with its shoulder and stays below theirs.

Just curious - what conclusions will be drawn if the Superbowl turns out to be Houston-SF or Bal-SF?

Anyone care to filter this year's top QBs through the criteria?

I'm too tired.

Whoops, never mind… there's that whole Wonderlic thing that hasn't actually happened yet!

Told you I was tired.

Don't worry Buffalo Barbarian will keep you up to date, at least on one QB. He is obsessed with Talleywhacker.

I'm pretty sure he did . THis year i think there wil be 2 QB's that if they are there at a later pick the Bills should get & one being Kellen Moore & the other despite the over all thought that he is to old which if he wasn't playing football he wasn't getting hit so he should have more life left in him , Brandon Weeden is the other that i am talking about .

I thought with what he did over his college career he would be a great pick for the Bills !!!