19 years ago today

As great a game as that was, to me its a black eye on our fandom. Back-to-back SB appearances and we can't sell out a playoff game? I laugh when people say fans will show up when the Bills start winning. History says otherwise.

PTR

"Happy days are here again."

As great a game as that was, to me its a black eye on our fandom. Back-to-back SB appearances and we can't sell out a playoff game? I laugh when people say fans will show up when the Bills start winning. History says otherwise.

PTR

Well, I was one of the 157,000 fans at the game. Regarding the failure to sell the game out, you have to remember that the Bills played Houston on Sunday night of the last week of the regular season. If they had won, they would be the #1 seed with a bye during the WC weekend. Of course, Kelly got hurt, and the Bills lost. The comeback game was on the Saturday of the same week (if I recall correctly), and the Bills ticket office was closed part of the week due to New Year's. At that time, most of the sales were by paper tickets at counters, and it was virtually impossible for the team to sell the number of tickets that they had in the 2-3 days between the Sunday night game and the blackout deadline.

I must admit that I am going off of memory here, and I may be off on some of the points (what can I say - I am old & it is late!). But, I am pretty sure that it was virtually impossible for the Bills to sell tickets fast enough to beat the blackout deadline.

On ESPN, Chris Berman had a motorized covered wagon going in a circle with the Bills logo on it. That was the original "Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills" game.

I'll have to check youtube for that.

Is it just me, or is it sad that all we have as bills fans is talking about a 19-year-old game?

Thinking the same thing. :bag:

Well, I was one of the 157,000 fans at the game. Regarding the failure to sell the game out, you have to remember that the Bills played Houston on Sunday night of the last week of the regular season. If they had won, they would be the #1 seed with a bye during the WC weekend. Of course, Kelly got hurt, and the Bills lost. The comeback game was on the Saturday of the same week (if I recall correctly), and the Bills ticket office was closed part of the week due to New Year's. At that time, most of the sales were by paper tickets at counters, and it was virtually impossible for the team to sell the number of tickets that they had in the 2-3 days between the Sunday night game and the blackout deadline.

I must admit that I am going off of memory here, and I may be off on some of the points (what can I say - I am old & it is late!). But, I am pretty sure that it was virtually impossible for the Bills to sell tickets fast enough to beat the blackout deadline.

That's how I remember it, too. The problem was that there was uncertainty when the Bills would host a playoff game, depending on the outcome of their final regular season game vs. Houston. Add to that the Bills were drubbed by the Oilers, were set to face them the next week without Kelly, and there was no chance of the game selling out in less than a week.

While blacked out playoff games are rare, every year there is always a scramble for wild card host teams to sell all their tickets in time. In 2009 the Vikings and Cardinals both struggled to sell out in time, and their stadiums seat around 64,000. If those teams had to fill an 80,000 seat stadium those games would have been blacked out.

ny times Jan 09

However, some people never miss an opportunity to bash Bills fans.

I, too, was there on January 3, 1993.

I lived in Lima, OH at the time, so I got to see the whole thing.

What I remember most was sitting on my couch in the first half, and intentionally switching to another chair for the second half because the couch wasn't giving us any luck - it was obvious what the problem was, and thankfully for Bills nation, I fixed it that day. :D