Sheppard at OLB?

I think the real question is between Barnett and Sheppard. Who plays OLB and who plays MLB? Then who plays Will or Sam? IMO, Barnett is a better fit at Will, Sheppard at Sam, but he may not have the athleticism to cover TE's.

Not to mention Kelsay is the only 4-3 DE on the roster.....

Barnett has the athleticism to move outside.

None of these conversations involve Kyle Moore, Kirk Morrison and Andra Davis. Moore is a big fella from USC who looked sharp-ish in what (I assume) was his first Bills appearance on Sunday.

Either way, let's keep in mind we have these big bodies on our roster now too...

There're also Heard, Dotson and some of the other rotational guys who were getting run on the DLine too.

I think WLB and SLB (in a 4-3) are our two only square-peg, round hole scenarios. Everywhere else we've got a lot of diverse talents and body sizes. Both pluses, IMO.

So would this kick Moats off the roster, or would he bulk up for DE? I don't think he has a place as a 4-3 LB, but I'm no scout. If Bills go strict 4-3, no hybrid, of our current defensive guys, I could see Moats, White, Scott, Troup, Heard, and probably Merrimen not being fits. Maybe Troup loses 15 lbs and can stick. I think Davis and Morrison are on the final years of their contracts so don't even need to consider them. Maybe Batton can slide inside to MLB, he seems to keep the play in front of him alright, could be a more agressive DiGorgio type...

I'd hate to see us flip flop schemes trying to chase fads, but we will have to wait and see on what Wanny can conjure. If he is the devensive version of Gailey, Chan found some pieces for his offense from hasbeens and never weres like Roscoe, Stevie, Fitz, the entire offensive line... maybe Wanny can do that with the defense, S. Johnson, Kelsey or Carrington can be the Roscoe type, a middling veteran who breaks out, and we find valuable contributers in formerly fringe roster players like Stevie was in someone like J. Rogers, White, Searcy, or even Coleman. I though I think if Coleman has any chance of making a roster it's on a 3-4, but I think the Giants grabbed him and put him on their PS roster when we cut him at the end of camp, and I think we had to 53 man roster him from them to get him back... if I remember correctly. Could be wrong, the Giants could have just cut him...

So would this kick Moats off the roster, or would he bulk up for DE? I don't think he has a place as a 4-3 LB, but I'm no scout. If Bills go strict 4-3, no hybrid, of our current defensive guys, I could see Moats, White, Scott, Troup, Heard, and probably Merrimen not being fits. Maybe Troup loses 15 lbs and can stick. I think Davis and Morrison are on the final years of their contracts so don't even need to consider them. Maybe Batton can slide inside to MLB, he seems to keep the play in front of him alright, could be a more agressive DiGorgio type...

I'd hate to see us flip flop schemes trying to chase fads, but we will have to wait and see on what Wanny can conjure. If he is the devensive version of Gailey, Chan found some pieces for his offense from hasbeens and never weres like Roscoe, Stevie, Fitz, the entire offensive line... maybe Wanny can do that with the defense, S. Johnson, Kelsey or Carrington can be the Roscoe type, a middling veteran who breaks out, and we find valuable contributers in formerly fringe roster players like Stevie was in someone like J. Rogers, White, Searcy, or even Coleman. I though I think if Coleman has any chance of making a roster it's on a 3-4, but I think the Giants grabbed him and put him on their PS roster when we cut him at the end of camp, and I think we had to 53 man roster him from them to get him back... if I remember correctly. Could be wrong, the Giants could have just cut him...

Moats and batten have a place even with the switch, and I def think moats would be asked to put on a few lbs and play DE

You are looking at front four of Edwards (Unless they get a 1st rounder to start) Williams, Dareus and Kelsay. Troup Heard Carrington Johnson are rotational guys.

Sheppard in the middle. Barnett and Meriman (or Moats if they cut Merriman) on the outside. They will undoubtedly add both an OLB and a true DE (non of that tweener junk) during the first 3 rounds.

The secondary is a strength for the defense especially at safety. McGee and Williams will likely start with Florence coming in on nickle kicking Williams into the slot.

Also, McKelvin will be interesting. He might get a chance to do something.

I don't think Batten makes the team at all. Merriman is to bad in coverage to play 43olb and Moats is very bad in coverage and Run Support to play OLB so my guess is both 3rd down pass rushers Merriman could start at DE if he stays healthy which remains to be seen

Oh and Sheppard would without any doubt be your MLB with Barnett at OLB look at their size it's a no brainer. Plus their style of play warrants those positions as well

The problem is that he can't shed a block to save his life. He is a better fit at weak side anyway where he can be protected a bit more.

If he can't shed a block, what good is he? Cut him now if this is true. He looks like a football player to me. Maybe not quick enough, but he has a clue how to play the game.