Travis Henry vs Fred Jackson

Billsrhody

I'm thinking back to when the Bills drafted McGahee in the first round in 2004. Travis Henry was a stud for the the three previous years, but when he went down and McGahee came in and had success, he was basically run out of town.

Now we have a very similar situation on our hands with Jackson and Spiller.

Obviously the front office is completely different but its hard to ignore the parallels. I think its very unlikely that Fred gets any significant money from this organization and that he'll most likely split time with Spiller from here on out and walk at the end of next year..

I believe Fred has 2 years left on his deal so I dont think he will be walking after next year

I dont mind having both players but Chan has to be more run oriented and find a way to get both of them enough touches to be productive

Its dumb to be so pass heavy when their two best players on offense are running backs. The offense should revolve around both of them with Spiller playing a little more of the Sproles role in the offense

I wouldnt be opposed to trading Fred though bc lets face it, he is getting older wants a big contract and prob wont be around if when the Bills ever become relevant again

Choice is a more then capable backup and if they could get a decent pick for Fred i wouldnt have a problem with it...i dont see that happening though

although the situation is similar its also a lot different...Travis Henry was a talented idiot and TD was more concerned about being the talk of the draft then anything else which is why he drafted McGahee. I still cant believe Mularky asked McGahee to add weight and be more of a power back

Edited by Max997

I'm thinking back to when the Bills drafted McGahee in the first round in 2004. Travis Henry was a stud for the the three previous years, but when he went down and McGahee came in and had success, he was basically run out of town.

Obviously the front office is completely different but its hard to ignore the parallels. I think its very unlikely that Fred gets any significant money from this organization and that he'll most likely split time with Spiller from here on out and walk at the end of next year..

Your chronology totally skipped the Marshawn Lynch era.

:)

Whoa man. I don't see this being anything CLOSE to that situation, in any way.

First off, Travis Henry was a good RB...BUT, he was a train wreck of a person.

Secondly, McGehee was about as high as a RB prospect as there was before his college injury. He was a complete back, and an every down back. And really there was no huge drop off in talent from the two.

Jackson is a complete, every down back, and is everything this team needs.

Spiller is an explosive back, but NOT a complete back. Struggles blocking, has NO power, and cant break tackles or rush for short yardage. He is a great receiver, and an open field weapon, a complementary back. He will never be able to be a true number 1 back in the NFL IMO. If Jackson were to go, the Bills would have to replace him with someone better than Tashard Choice...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Your chronology totally skipped the Marshawn Lynch era.

:)

isnt Lynch in the final year of his deal?

ironic he is in the best shape and having the best year of his career this year

Edited by Max997

I believe Fred has 2 years left on his deal so I dont think he will be walking after next year

I dont mind having both players but Chan has to be more run oriented and find a way to get both of them enough touches to be productive

Its dumb to be so pass heavy when their two best players on offense are running backs. The offense should revolve around both of them with Spiller playing a little more of the Sproles role in the offense

I wouldnt be opposed to trading Fred though bc lets face it, he is getting older wants a big contract and prob wont be around if when the Bills ever become relevant again

Choice is a more then capable backup and if they could get a decent pick for Fred i wouldnt have a problem with it...i dont see that happening though

although the situation is similar its also a lot different...Travis Henry was a talented idiot and TD was more concerned about being the talk of the draft then anything else which is why he drafted McGahee. I still cant believe Mularky asked McGahee to add weight and be more of a power back

I think Fred is only signed through 2012. He's is the heart and soul of the offense. he's doesn't do anything but provide positive drama free leadership. He said Nix would take care of him. We can hope. Fred doesn't seem like the type of player that needs a brinks truck to haul away a extension. He's 30 and knows his days are numbered. As for a trade, I just don't see anyone willing to give up what this board would seem fair. Now the Bills brain trust may have a different view. I don't see a trade. As for Choice? Come on. Although dime a dozen backs are the new NFL fad.

Fred seems to be a more complete ball player than Henry ever was with us. Really since Thurman no one has been as complete as Fred. Carrying the team with approx. 40% of the offense before his injury showed how capable he is. Chan probably could have driven up his workload to 60% and Fred would have not only embraced it, but produced it.

A guess would be if Fred comes back strong next year, he will still have that major chip on his shoulder that makes him so good. Losing this year to injury will make him have too prove himself yet again. Nothing new for him. The Bills will be committing suicide if he is not on that opening day roster.

I dont know man......CJ is getting better and better with every game.

Your right in that I dont think he will ever be a short yardage back.....but blocking, running between the tackles, all of that is improving quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I like CJ. I definitely don't consider him a bust. I think the Bills picked him with the intention of using him as Bush/Sproles type of back that the saints use. He can do that, he's proved it the last few weeks. And when he gets into space he's very dangerous.

I just think they will always need a bigger more "conventional" guy that can do a lot of the "other" RB stuff like blocking, goal line, late game grinding... Jackson can do that...

Choice has had to come in during those situations lately, but unfortunately he isn't very good.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Don't get me wrong, I like CJ. I definitely don't consider him a bust. I think the Bills picked him with the intention of using him as Bush/Sproles type of back that the saints use. He can do that, he's proved it the last few weeks. And when he gets into space he's very dangerous.

I just think they will always need a bigger more "conventional" guy that can do a lot of the "other" RB stuff like blocking, goal line, late game grinding... Jackson can do that...

Choice has had to come in during those situations lately, but unfortunately he isn't very good.

I still think we are in a good situation here....Freddie isn't gonna cost that much.....and Spiller is finding his groove.....next year we might actually have something.

Travis Henry's rookie year, was an example of why the Bills departed ways with him. A gifted player, Henry was known for his will to never give up and for being a strong team guy. However, off the field he wasn't too bright.

After his draft day selection, it was rumored Tennessee withheld some of his high school transcripts--which showed Henry attended "special needs classes."

In his first training camp, it was rumored, Henry had issues grasping the playbook and that his playbook was "dumbed down." Some fans tend to forget, that shortly after the regular season began in 2001, while pumping gas, Henry in his rookie season, lured two young females into his car--to play Xbox at his pad. Travis Henry SICNN article from 2001.

Upon his trade to the Titans, a figure from the Buffalo Bills jokingly said this about Travis Henry at a Bills event, "he had the heart of a child, with the brains to match!

Terreance Gannaway from Baylor can be used as a RB/FB hybrid and we could probably get him in the 5th/6th round...just sayin

Terreance Gannaway from Baylor can be used as a RB/FB hybrid and we could probably get him in the 5th/6th round...just sayin

I'd like the Bills to have a big Michael Bush/Cedric Benson type running back.

If we had one big plow horse to go with McIntyre, Spiller and Jackson, the backfield would be perfect, IMO.

We need 2 good rbs. A lot of teams have 3. The giants and saints come to mind. It's not an either or thing. McGahee beat out Henry. Spiller has had a few nice games but is no where near beating out Fred. It appears we now have 2 good backs. We should be happy.

Edited by reddogblitz