Detroit is in the Playoffs.

Toshiero

There are 3 main reasons the Detroit Lions are in the playoffs this year.

If you added these three reasons to any non-playoff team, that team would be in the playoffs.

The 3 reasons are:

1) Ndamukong Suh who was drafted 2nd overall after the Lions went 2-14 in '09.

2) Matthew Stafford who was drafted 1st overall after the Lions went 0-16 in '08.

3) Calvin Johnson who was drafted 2nd overall after the Lions went 3-13 'in 06.

The Lions are in the playoffs mostly by virtue of having won a total of 5 games in 3 seasons.

That's an average of 1.67 wins for those three seasons.

The Bills have won 6 games this season alone.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

If you added these three reasons to any non-playoff team, that team would be in the playoffs.

The 3 reasons are:

2) Matthew Stafford who was drafted 1st overall after the Lions went 0-16 in '08.

The Lions are in the playoffs mostly by virtue of having won a total of 5 games in 3 seasons.

No that isn't it. They are in the playoffs because they finally hired a GM that knew WTF to do with those picks. Nix had a no miss in Dareus and ignored all football common sense in taking Spiller the year before when we needed a QB, OL, DL Etc.

Detroit picked that high for years but had Matt 'Buddy Nix' Millen doing the picking.

How does making the playoffs set Detroit back three or four years? They've gone from bottom of the bottom and turned it into a good team, albeit one with some flaws.

Buffalo is not even close to completing their rebuild, but Detroit did it in three seasons.

Amazing what happens when ownership gets a real GM and HC that know wtf they are doing.

You can talk all you want about Jim Schwartz and Martin Mayhew.

But if you take those three players off Detroit (Suh, Stafford, Calvin Johnson) they are not a playoff team.

And the reason they drafted those three players is because they were the worst team or second-worst team in the league 3 times over a 4 year period.

In other words it was draft position, not football acumen, that landed those players on the Lions.

The 3 reasons are:

At which point do you run out of excuses for the Bills and their 12 seasons of failure?

At which point do you run out of excuses for the Bills and their 12 seasons of failure?

I think the point is our failure hasn't been bad enough to totally rebuild our team through the draft. For a team (Buffalo) that relies almost exclusively on the draft and third tear FA's drafting in the 8-15 range puts you in a bit of a tough spot.

I think the point is our failure hasn't been bad enough to totally rebuild our team through the draft. For a team (Buffalo) that relies almost exclusively on the draft and third tear FA's drafting in the 8-15 range puts you in a bit of a tough spot.

It's a totally valid and salient point.

Those calling it an "excuse" are simply belittling the context to justify their own pessimism.

3 teams got off to surprising starts, Buf, Det and SF. 2 sustained it and made the playoffs, 1 team fizzled. Oh us poor Bills fans. You knew it would be us.

Both the others are miles ahead in talent. Detroit still almost fell apart additionally.

They hit on several ones in a row. We've missed a bunch. Makes sense they are ahead of us. A qb playing great with a generational wideout matches up well against fitz and Stevie. Our firsts those years - lynch and maybin. Yea they picked high but they picked right, a few years later - playoffs. Hopefully cj, dareus and this years pick form a foundation for us.

Uh, I really don't know what you're talking about.

Can you re-state the question?

I wasn't aware that I was making any excuses.

We were talking about why the Detroit Lions are in the playoffs, no?

The tough spot is caused by wasting all of the top 12 draft picks that should be the backbone of playmakers driving a playoff run.

Instead, the Bills consistently butcher those picks so that they are devoid of talent

The tough spot is caused by wasting all of the top 12 draft picks that should be the backbone of playmakers driving a playoff run.

Instead, the Bills consistently butcher those picks so that they are devoid of talent

I don't know that they've wasted those picks any more than most teams. My only point is drafting in the top 3 increases your percentages of getting the pick right. Our debate is using the Lions as an example.

I agree with SJ Bills Fan and it's the reason why Fitz should be regarded as public enemy #1 in Buffalo right now. He sucks but he doesn't suck enough.

You'd rather have Curtis Painter as your QB than Fitz because at least you'll get great player in the draft. Fitz is a 6-10 QB and that's the worst place to be in the NFL.

No doubt the Bills have blown first rounders… but as Triple Threat points out, drafting 1st overall and 2nd overall helps your chances of getting a "can't miss" prospect

The Bills drafted 3rd overall last year and drafted Dareus… they also could have drafted Patrick Peterson and AJ Green and still not blown the pick.

The Bills have drafted poorly but the Lions have drafted in the top 3 so many times now that simply by the dumb luck they're going to hit on some of them.

And also, drafting 1st overall gave them first dibs on Matthew Stafford.

Had we drafted first last year, we would have had Cam Newton.

Uh, I really don't know what you're talking about.

Can you re-state the question?

I wasn't aware that I was making any excuses.

We were talking about why the Detroit Lions are in the playoffs, no?

Your contention remains that Detroit's 3 year rebuild was predominantly on the shoulders of top picks. I would only submit that other teams without the benefit of top 10 picks have successfully rebuilt and done it quickly. The Packers have drafted twice in the top 10 in a decade and have built quite a roster in the past 7 drafts Ted Thompson has run. Baltimore hasn't had a top 10 pick since 2003 and they've successfully rebuilt off the Kyle Boller years.

Teams do not need high picks, but if you have them they need to count. Saint Louis has had a bunch and are still a team in transition. Best thing about rebuilding is you don't have to completely bottom out to complete one like Detroit did.

Your contention remains that Detroit's 3 year rebuild was predominantly on the shoulders of top picks. I would only submit that other teams without the benefit of top 10 picks have successfully rebuilt and done it quickly. The Packers have drafted twice in the top 10 in a decade and have built quite a roster in the past 7 drafts Ted Thompson has run. Baltimore hasn't had a top 10 pick since 2003 and they've successfully rebuilt off the Kyle Boller years.

Teams do not need high picks, but if you have them they need to count. Saint Louis has had a bunch and are still a team in transition. Best thing about rebuilding is you don't have to completely bottom out to complete one like Detroit did.

As I stated in my earlier post, the Bills have made numerous draft errors.

And nowhere have I ever stated that a team needs high picks to be successful.

So when you wrote to me: "At which point do you run out of excuses for the Bills and their 12 seasons of failure?" I was understandably confused.

It sounded like you were implying I was an apologist for the Bills and also taking another opportunity to slam the Bills… which you have to admit, you do quite a bit of.

If you had simply wrote, "A team doesn't need high draft picks to make the playoffs?" then your meaning would have been much more clear.

Your framing of the Detroit rebuild as "three year" exposes how badly you yearn for a Bills failure.