Merriman, Parrish, players "wanting to stay" with their team/c

Booger

Lol...you "Vets" amaze me...you realize that we are in 2011...2006 and 2007 were quite a few years and injuries back.

Yes he is 27 years old...he has also been on the IR for the past 5 years...he made it 15 minutes into his first practice as a Bill and about 70 plays into a season over 5 games...WAKE UP

You are correct though...will wait and see.

Do you even know what you are arguing anymore?

All most people are saying is there is no point in cutting him YET, since we will have plenty of time to do so if need be. No one is arguing that he is going to rack up 15 sacks next year. Relax.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol...you "Vets" amaze me...you realize that we are in 2011...2006 and 2007 were quite a few years and injuries back.

Yes he is 27 years old...he has also been on the IR for the past 5 years...he made it 15 minutes into his first practice as a Bill and about 70 plays into a season over 5 games...WAKE UP

You are correct though...will wait and see.

I don't think it's asking too much to get your math straight.

5 years ago Merriman made All Pro.

4 years ago Merriman made All Pro.

He had killer stats in each year.

3 years ago he went on IR with a torn knee ligament and, as a testament to his dedication, came back early to be ready for '09.

Yes, the last few seasons have seen him go on IR and it probably wasn't a good idea for him to forgo his achilles surgery last year but then most of us don't have the luxury of hindsight like so many around here.

At 27 he's still got a lot of football left IF he stays healthy. Not saying it isn't a big IF, but why not wait and see instead of making the pronouncement now? And if you really are willing to wait and see as you state, then you don't think we should cut him now, right?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

3 years ago he went on IR with a torn knee ligament and, as a testament to his dedication, came back early to be ready for '09.

Yes, the last few seasons have seen him go on IR and it probably wasn't a good idea for him to forgo his achilles surgery last year but then most of us don't have the luxury of hindsight like so many around here.

At 27 he's still got a lot of football left IF he stays healthy. Not saying it isn't a big IF, but why not wait and see instead of making the pronouncement now? And if you really are willing to wait and see as you state, then you don't think we should cut him now, right?

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe he's secretly hoping that Merriman gets cut, gets picked up by the Jets or Ravens, dominates, and gives us something new to complain about.

GO BILLS!!!

You are truly and idiot and a problem when it comes to accepting the state of the Bills...Do what math genius??? Take a look and recalculate your delusional math. Also, in 2009 he was also only able to play in 14 games....hmmm...4 sacks in 14 games...still ahead of the pace he was on track for this year. You are an idiot.

2011 Buffalo Bills 5 5 9 7 2 1.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2010 Buffalo Bills 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

2010 San Diego Chargers 3 1 6 5 1 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2009 San Diego Chargers 14 14 36 26 10 4.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2008 San Diego Chargers 1 1 2 1 1 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2007 San Diego Chargers 15 15 68 54 14 12.5 -- 4 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 2

2006 San Diego Chargers 12 12 62 48 14 17.0 -- 7 1 10 10.0 10 0 4

2005 San Diego Chargers 15 10 57 43 14 10.0 -- 4 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 2

TOTAL 240 184 56 44.5 0 15 1 10 -- 10 0 8

Maybe he's secretly hoping that Merriman gets cut, gets picked up by the Jets or Ravens, dominates, and gives us something new to complain about.

Trust me, not worried in the least. He wont be picked up by an NFL team period. You guys think that he is superhuman or something...he is a broke down NFL player at age 27...WOW...get that through your head.

Do you think that SD would have gotten rid of him after his crappy 2009 and crappy injury plagued beginning of 2010 (which he lasted 7 minutes in a Bills Uni) if they were not concerned?

Edited by Booger

You are truly and idiot and a problem when it comes to accepting the state of the Bills...Do what math genius??? Take a look and recalculate your delusional math. Also, in 2009 he was also only able to play in 14 games....hmmm...4 sacks in 14 games...still ahead of the pace he was on track for this year. You are an idiot.

2011 Buffalo Bills 5 5 9 7 2 1.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2010 Buffalo Bills 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- --

2010 San Diego Chargers 3 1 6 5 1 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2009 San Diego Chargers 14 14 36 26 10 4.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2008 San Diego Chargers 1 1 2 1 1 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2007 San Diego Chargers 15 15 68 54 14 12.5 -- 4 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 2

2006 San Diego Chargers 12 12 62 48 14 17.0 -- 7 1 10 10.0 10 0 4

2005 San Diego Chargers 15 10 57 43 14 10.0 -- 4 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 2

TOTAL 240 184 56 44.5 0 15 1 10 -- 10 0 8

Did you or did you not state that Merriman has been on IR for the last 5 years? All I did was point out that 5 years ago, in December of 2006 he was having an All Pro season.

Four years ago, in December 2007, he was having, yet again, ANOTHER, All Pro season.

So are you really going to wait and see like you said or are you gonna cut him now, also like you said? Which is it?

I'm not the one arguing against myself in this thread. And you have the temerity to call me an idiot?

GO BILLS!!!

Booger, you're not convincing me. Why shouldn't we give either a chance in camp? Because they want a new contract or extension? Why wouldn't they? Are they breaking the bank?

The one poster who mentioned conjecture was right on.

Calling people idiots does not prove you're original argument, nor the stats you present.

Not allowing them back because they want to be in Buffalo, but really just want money, how reciculous. That is what you are arguing, right?

Parrish has been injury prone, granted, but when healthy we know his value. Merriman is a gamble that still may pay off.

Booger would have a point about Merriman if he was drawing a 6, 7, 9 million dollar salary but he isn't. He is a low risk, high reward investment. The point is Merriman is under contract and it is dirt cheap to keep him around. If he plays and plays well he gets his pay-day, win-win.

Cutting him is the dumbest thing I have heard. If he does gets hurt next year, put him on IR and cut your ties with him. His contract would be done and the Bills would have lost nothing in the entire process. He is insignificant against the cap.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Are you serious in that playing Merriman would hinder the development of our outstanding rush LBs like Danny Batten and Arthur Moats? They have created such a tremendous pass rush that it is obviously the biggest problem on this team. We have nobody behind Merriman and he is already under contract at a reasonable value so it would be dumb to cut him if he is healthy.

But he won't be healthy. Not this season, next season, or ANY season. How washed-up do players have to get before we show them the door?

I don't think our FO should let past greatness be a guide for retaining talent.

In today's NFL, it's not about what you've done. It's not about what you've done lately. It's about what you can do TODAY. When it comes to Shawne Merriman, that appears to be NOTHING. I don't see the point in allowing ourselves to be strung-along by a greedy guy so obviously past his prime.

Edited by #34fan

How do you know this? Been talking to Tebow or something?

Exactly! If you cut him, who do you replace him with? LOL! What people fail to realize is Merriman is actually a luxury to have with this current linebacker core. He comes cheap and is not hindering any youngsters at this position. We literally have no playmakers at LB with the exception of Merriman and Barnett. We also don't have the depth to cut players at this position that are under contract because you are afraid they might get hurt.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

How do you know this? Been talking to Tebow or something?

Hey, It's a call.

I stand by it.

Even if Merriman starts next season healthy, he'll be gone by game 6.

Guaranteed.

Btw, I called it this year too. But whatever. If the FO wants to get taken for another season let them go right ahead.

Sucks though to see our fanhood get taken for rubes by this guy.

Edited by #34fan

Hey, It's a call.

I stand by it.

Even if Merriman starts next season healthy, he'll be gone by game 6.

Guaranteed.

Btw, I called it this year too. But whatever. If the FO wants to get taken for another season let them go right ahead.

Sucks though to see our fanhood get taken for rubes by this guy.

Wow, if I had your insight I'd be rich. Did you join the board this year to make the call and then say I told you so?

Re: Shawne... Let him come back, see how he does in training camp an preseason and go from there.

Ditto with Roscoe.

If we don't have better players, then why cut these guys?

Exactly.

People want to cut players because they are injury prone or just average players all the time, but the thing we need on this team above all else is talent and depth.

By cutting our "average" players we are essentially making our below-average backups into starters and making our backups completely unknown prospects who rarely ever pan out for us, deflating our talent level and depth even more.