8.9 is a helluva big quake

_BiB_

SE Asia

Eyewitnesses in Tricomalee reported waves as high as 40 feet (12 meters), hitting inland as far as half a mile.

Have you ever seen a 40 foot wave? They look like they are about a hundred feet, in real life.

What wonderful timing, too. I hope the UN can get it's sh-- together without 50 resolutions and help out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SE Asia

Have you ever seen a 40 foot wave? They look like they are about a hundred feet, in real life.

What wonderful timing, too. I hope the UN can get it's sh-- together without 50 resolutions and help out.

178011[/snapback]

A tsunami isn't a normal wave, either...it's more like a tidal surge than a breaking wave. A 40-foot tidal surge is mammoth, particularly if it hits at high tide.

And that death toll is far too small, I'm sure. It's going to go way up as the day progresses.

Biblical proportions. In a week, the disease factor will begin to kill thousands more.

The Richter scale is a logoramithic. 8.9 is brutal. Chances are good, it will trigger more.

178072[/snapback]

If you take a look at the USGS quake center site, it's already generated eighteen aftershocks magnitude 5.8 or above...major quakes in their own right. Some of them are several hundred miles from the original epicenter.

I just started hearing an hour ago that Phucat, Thailand had their coastline devastated. That's a resort town...and they've "only" had "a hundred" deaths. Yeah, right...maybe natives. Don't know how long it's going to take them to count the missing tourists.

And the western south coast of Sumatra, as far as I know, is still out of communication with the outside world. Fotunately there wasn't a lot there to begin with...

Wow, I had never heard that (the logoramithic part).  That is nuts.

178207[/snapback]

It goes by powers of 10: every point on the scale is an increase in power of 10. Therefore, an 8.7 is actually a thousand times more powerful than a 5.7. A 10.0 is theoretically impossible; from what I understand, the earth's crust couldn't absorb the shock, and it would basically rip the planet in half.

It looks as though it's been upgraded to a 9.0 magnitude.

178739[/snapback]

And like I said earlier...the death toll's up to 12000. Of course, if you add the individual estimates from each country, that total's about 14k. And a lot of places that were devastated by the wave were tourist areas...on a holiday weekend, no less. There could be a LOT of foreign vacationers unaccounted for. I figured this morning it would get up to about 20k.

And not to be a filthy capitalist...but I wonder what this is going to do to the US markets in the morning...this is a huge blow to economies that aren't all that strong or large to begin with.

And like I said earlier...the death toll's up to 12000.  Of course, if you add the individual estimates from each country, that total's about 14k.  And a lot of places that were devastated by the wave were tourist areas...on a holiday weekend, no less.  There could be a LOT of foreign vacationers unaccounted for.  I figured this morning it would get up to about 20k.

And not to be a filthy capitalist...but I wonder what this is going to do to the US markets in the morning...this is a huge blow to economies that aren't all that strong or large to begin with.

179077[/snapback]

Get in early.

I think that the fact that this wave hit so early in the morning on a sunday, the death toll will be much higher then if it were in the middle of the day and people would have had some warning.

I just wonder how long it will be until algore holds a press conference and calls for GWB's impeachment for not supporting the kyoto treaty and therefore being the direct cause of all natural castastorphies in the past 4 years, and for the next 4 years.

I think that the fact that this wave hit so early in the morning on a sunday, the death toll will be much higher then if it were in the middle of the day and people would have had some warning.

I just wonder how long it will be until algore holds a press conference and calls for GWB's impeachment for not supporting the kyoto treaty and therefore being the direct cause of all natural castastorphies in the past 4 years, and for the next 4 years.

179385[/snapback]

Good points... Why don't we just start the impeachment proceedings first thing tommorrow? Glad to get you onboard!

There have been several aftershocks an hour in the high 5 and low 6 magnitude rage.  This was a doozy!

179397[/snapback]

And some of them several hundred miles away from the epicenter of the original quake. This quake really !@#$ed up that fault line something serious.

179385[/snapback]

There's no warning system for the Indian Ocean area. None whatsoever. The USGS actually tried to get a warning out...in NO country on the Indian Ocean could they even identify someone to contact.

You're an idiot.

There's no warning system for the Indian Ocean area.  None whatsoever.  The USGS actually tried to get a warning out...in NO country on the Indian Ocean could they even identify someone to contact.

179506[/snapback]

Wow! That is just too bad... We could have at least moved all the PETA people into proper position... ;)

Wow!  That is just too bad... We could have at least moved all the PETA people into proper position... ;)

179541[/snapback]

A big part of the reason is simply because tsunami aren't that common in the Indian Ocean. The Pacific rim needs such a system, considering that in any given year there's a very good chance of a severe earthquake somewhere in the Pacific. The Indian Ocean countries never saw any significant need for such a system to track and warn of a seriously rare event such as this (probably happens once every several centuries at its most frequent...compared to every couple decades in Hawaii or Japan or such).

I think they'll probably be rethinking that, particularly the resort communities, and particularly since a country doesn't need to maintain its own geological service to monitor everything; realistically, a procedure for getting info from the USGS and getting it to the coast rapidly in a possible emergency would have saved a lot of lives today.

And I still haven't heard anything about the western coast of Sumatra. I know the quake itself did serious damage on the island, but the coast must have been scoured. Typically, when Indonesia has tidal waves like this, whole coastal towns disappear without a trace.

I think they'll probably be rethinking that, particularly the resort communities, and particularly since a country doesn't need to maintain its own geological service to monitor everything; realistically, a procedure for getting info from the USGS and getting it to the coast rapidly in a possible emergency would have saved a lot of lives today.

Yeah...why should they "build their own" when they can rely on the good ole USA to help save their ass? You know the "terrible" USA that they "hate" so much, that oh by the way ALREADY has sent aid and services. Wonder how much France, Germany, Spain and the rest of New Europe has sent so far.