C.J.Spiller...Why Not Use Him?

MVJim

I was at the Bills-Chargers game on Sunday (along with a ton more Buffalo fans) and I am baffled why Chan continues to give so many reps to Tashard Choice, a castoff from Dallas and Washington. Is it because he went to Georgia Tech? We spent a 9th overall pick on C.J. Spiller and we NEED to find out what we have in him. We know he struggles going inside but is a potential game breaker when he goes to the outside. In the game versus the Titans, C.J. had a big first half which also included a long run called back by a bogus holding call on McIntyre. And yet, in the 2nd half of that game, Spiller was MIA.

Yesterday, he was constantly taken out in passing situations. And here is a back who was used as a wideout when we were banged up at that position. They also hardly went outside with him. Baffling!!! We have to know what we have in him. Gailey did the same thing to Maybin and now Maybin is making plays for our rival Jets. The only way we find out is to play him. In these last 3 meaningless games (again), Spiller should be in the lineup full time and only relieved when he needs a breather. Choice should remain a backup and that is it.

Choice is a better pass blocker than CJ. That said, if we don't start using him correctly we're going to cast him off and he'll make plays for another team. Newsflash Chan, he can't run between the tackles, he looks great on the pitchouts, but god forbid we run more than one of those a game. He's a special talent but that will never be seen because he plays for the saddest franchise in the NFL.

I was at the Bills-Chargers game on Sunday (along with a ton more Buffalo fans) and I am baffled why Chan continues to give so many reps to Tashard Choice, a castoff from Dallas and Washington. Is it because he went to Georgia Tech? We spent a 9th overall pick on C.J. Spiller and we NEED to find out what we have in him. We know he struggles going inside but is a potential game breaker when he goes to the outside. In the game versus the Titans, C.J. had a big first half which also included a long run called back by a bogus holding call on McIntyre. And yet, in the 2nd half of that game, Spiller was MIA.

Yesterday, he was constantly taken out in passing situations. And here is a back who was used as a wideout when we were banged up at that position. They also hardly went outside with him. Baffling!!! We have to know what we have in him. Gailey did the same thing to Maybin and now Maybin is making plays for our rival Jets. The only way we find out is to play him. In these last 3 meaningless games (again), Spiller should be in the lineup full time and only relieved when he needs a breather. Choice should remain a backup and that is it.

Cj Spiller is an awful pass blocker. He has a history of fumbling, he does not follow his blocks and he drops passes. He is pretty fast. He is a pure luxury on this team. Spiller is the situational player not an every down back.

The continued inability to use Spiller is one of the failings of Gailey's tenure.

Again, I support coach right now but it's real simple.

They drafted him because they felt he was too great of an offensive weapon to pass up.

If that's the case, why is Derek Hagan or Naaman Roosevelt on the field instead of Spiller on 3rd down?

It's understood that Choice is the better pass blocker.

That being the case, just put Choice and Spiller on the field at the same time. Devise plays for that package.

Start Spiller in a two-back set and motion him to one side or the other.

Like the OP said, we used Spiller as a wide receiver when injuries hit that position… now suddenly he can't be used as a 3rd down receiver?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The continued inability to use Spiller is one of the failings of Gailey's tenure.

They drafted him because they felt he was too great of an offensive weapon to pass up.

If that's the case, why is Derek Hagan or Naaman Roosevelt on the field instead of Spiller on 3rd down?

That being the case, just put Choice and Spiller on the field at the same time. Devise plays for that package.

Like the OP said, we used Spiller as a wide receiver when injuries hit that position… now suddenly he can't be used as a 3rd down receiver?

+1

Right and that is what the real issue is with this team. We ARE drafting talented players, but we are not using them well. We're not devising a system that plays to the strengths of our personal and that is why it is so hard to tell how far away we are from contending. We HAVE to start designing an offense and defense that knows how to take what our players are good at. The one thing I have to give the coaching staff credit for is the O-line. They have utilized that well, now we need to do the same with other players.

Hagan and Roosevelt are recievers, Spiller is a RB. With Fred on IR, we need to keep Spiller at RB to get touches and see what he has. Flip-Flpping to RB and WR will hurt his progress as a RB. When Fred was playing we had the " luxury" of using Spiller at WR out of necessity. We are out of the playoff race, let's run Spiller.

Hagan and Roosevelt are recievers, Spiller is a RB. With Fred on IR, we need to keep Spiller at RB to get touches and see what he has. Flip-Flpping to RB and WR will hurt his progress as a RB. When Fred was playing we had the " luxury" of using Spiller at WR out of necessity. We are out of the playoff race, let's run Spiller.

I understand what you're saying. I'm saying you can't fit a square peg in a round hole… that somewhere is a perfect role for Spiller and it's not the same role that Freddy had.

I think the coaches already know what we have in Spiller. That's the problem.

Did they know what they had in Maybin and how to use him?

..I find it a bit disturbing that they don't use Spiller properly. Get the guy out in space.He has proven to be a home run threat-but not up the middle.

I also don't remember seeing McIntyre in the backfield in San Diego. I thought McIntyre and Spiller together looked like a good combination. They must have decided that Choice can do the job instead. Maybe if they ran the ball more than a few times during the game they could use some different personnel combinations, but since they go pass wacky almost immediately, they don't get a chance to use all of their weapons.

Word. I really support Chan, but his handling of Spiller erodes my confidence in him. I hate to say oit but Buddy Ryan would figure out how to use CJ.